?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

restorepride

Quote from: theticklemister on October 30, 2018, 06:15:58 PM
I always knew McLarnon was second, sad times my oul school is at third tier now
Sad? I think you mean pathetic. 1,500 boys at St. Columb's, in so-called 'nationalist' Derry, playing 3rd tier Gaelic football? School community needs to have a good look in the mirror. No craic in (London)derry?

theticklemister

Quote from: restorepride on October 30, 2018, 11:44:32 PM
Sad? I think you mean pathetic. 1,500 boys at St. Columb's, in so-called 'nationalist' Derry, playing 3rd tier Gaelic football? School community needs to have a good look in the mirror. No craic in (London)derry?

Sad indeed

oakleaflad

That post above is pathetic.

Of that 1,500 maybe 10% would be interested in gaelic football. This isn't the same as having those numbers in a rural school.
A lot of St.Columb's better players will come from the likes of Claudy, Craigbane, Banagher, Slaughtmanus, Foreglen but those boys will make up a very small percentage of pupils (maybe 5-10 pupils per year). So that leaves the city clubs. Steelstown have been making strides at underage level, competing in 'A' divisions and this should help in that regard but the other clubs have been traditionally weaker. There is good work being done with city clubs to try to improve this.
The emergence of Donegal schools in particular in recent times, at a similar level to St.Columb's, has meant that they will yoyo between 2nd and 3rd grade for probably a few years yet.

That Cathair Doire team should go alright in the McLarnon. They have a couple of the successful Derry underage players of recent times in Ben McCarron and Fergal Mortimer playing for them.

restorepride

Quote from: oakleaflad on October 31, 2018, 09:52:56 AM

Of that 1,500 maybe 10% would be interested in gaelic football. This isn't the same as having those numbers in a rural school.
A lot of St.Columb's better players will come from the likes of Claudy, Craigbane, Banagher, Slaughtmanus, Foreglen but those boys will make up a very small percentage of pupils (maybe 5-10 pupils per year). So that leaves the city clubs. Steelstown have been making strides at underage level, competing in 'A' divisions and this should help in that regard but the other clubs have been traditionally weaker. There is good work being done with city clubs to try to improve this.
The emergence of Donegal schools in particular in recent times, at a similar level to St.Columb's, has meant that they will yoyo between 2nd and 3rd grade for probably a few years yet.

That Cathair Doire team should go alright in the McLarnon. They have a couple of the successful Derry underage players of recent times in Ben McCarron and Fergal Mortimer playing for them.
So, who is encouraging the other 90%?

JoG2

The problem in the town is there's a small number of hardcore gaels busting themselves to push, promote and enhance the game. The numbers just aren't there to make big inroads atm. Take 3 of the city teams, Brian Ogs, Dolans and Colmcille, a big percentage of their coaches and committee are blow ins from county Derry or further afield ie dyed in the wool GAA men and woman. There is serious apathy towards the games in this part of the world. There's coaching officers in the primary schools trying their level best to get the kids into football, especially key stage 1. This is really beginning to take off. All the clubs and I include Ardmore who have been struggling badly at senior and underage in recent years and the new Culmore club have very good numbers in nursery, u8 and u10. Just go to any of the local go games, it's a heartwarming sight. Hopefully these numbers continue to grow and the young gaels continue to play up through the grades. This inturn keep the parents involved who join committees, become coaches or volunteer in some shape or form.. Nothing attracts a crowd like a crowd. The future is bright in the City imo and that's not something I would have said 5/10 years ago.

ONEDerry

Quote from: restorepride on October 31, 2018, 01:36:08 PM
Quote from: oakleaflad on October 31, 2018, 09:52:56 AM

So, who is encouraging the other 90%?

How could they not be encouraged  by all the great role models and fine sportsmen they see beat the heads of each other or referees every now again on the media. Right up there with a Seamus Coleman or James McClean as roled models.
Have to laugh at someone using the L word with Derry on a gaa board. The type of individual who probably doesn't give a fiddlers about games promotion anyway.

Sheugh Water

Quote from: JoG2 on October 31, 2018, 10:11:15 PM
The problem in the town is there's a small number of hardcore gaels busting themselves to push, promote and enhance the game. The numbers just aren't there to make big inroads atm. Take 3 of the city teams, Brian Ogs, Dolans and Colmcille, a big percentage of their coaches and committee are blow ins from county Derry or further afield ie dyed in the wool GAA men and woman. There is serious apathy towards the games in this part of the world. There's coaching officers in the primary schools trying their level best to get the kids into football, especially key stage 1. This is really beginning to take off. All the clubs and I include Ardmore who have been struggling badly at senior and underage in recent years and the new Culmore club have very good numbers in nursery, u8 and u10. Just go to any of the local go games, it's a heartwarming sight. Hopefully these numbers continue to grow and the young gaels continue to play up through the grades. This inturn keep the parents involved who join committees, become coaches or volunteer in some shape or form.. Nothing attracts a crowd like a crowd. The future is bright in the City imo and that's not something I would have said 5/10 years ago.

Yep agreed. Don't forget Na Magha. Probably biggest club in town after Steelstown. Going to be a force in years to come

JoG2

Quote from: Sheugh Water on October 31, 2018, 10:52:29 PM

Yep agreed. Don't forget Na Magha. Probably biggest club in town after Steelstown. Going to be a force in years to come

Couldn't agree more. I've had my young lad down a few times at the College, hopefully get him back at it again. Met a lot of Na Magha folk recently during a very tough time for the club, great people. Great club

Sheugh Water

Quote from: JoG2 on October 31, 2018, 10:58:29 PM
Quote from: Sheugh Water on October 31, 2018, 10:52:29 PM

Couldn't agree more. I've had my young lad down a few times at the College, hopefully get him back at it again. Met a lot of Na Magha folk recently during a very tough time for the club, great people. Great club

100%.. Get young pup back soon. Cub very very appreciative of all the help received from throughout the county. Onwards and upwards for all clubs hopefully. County and city need each other in both codes in the future

theticklemister

The County Board don't give two fucks about promoting the GAA in the city. They have paid it lip service for years. They should flood the city with coaches, GAA promotion,  you name it.

The clubs in the city are doing okay, some more so than others, but this is an acorn that needs broken...............meanwhile the County Board yet again sits idle while the youth don't play the sport in the city. It is not only looks bad on the city for them not wishing to par-take in our gaelic culture, but casts a huge weight around the County Board's neck for not not bothering their backsides to do something about it.

Sheugh Water

Quote from: theticklemister on October 31, 2018, 11:12:40 PM
The County Board don't give two f**ks about promoting the GAA in the city. They have paid it lip service for years. They should flood the city with coaches, GAA promotion,  you name it.

The clubs in the city are doing okay, some more so than others, but this is an acorn that needs broken...............meanwhile the County Board yet again sits idle while the youth don't play the sport in the city. It is not only looks bad on the city for them not wishing to par-take in our gaelic culture, but casts a huge weight around the County Board's neck for not not bothering their backsides to do something about it.

Yes. Full time coaches is the only solution. Needs to be driven then by club men

theticklemister

Quote from: Sheugh Water on October 31, 2018, 11:33:42 PM
The County Board don't give two f**ks about promoting the GAA in the city. They have paid it lip service for years. They should flood the city with coaches, GAA promotion,  you name it.

Yes. Full time coaches is the only solution. Needs to be driven then by club men

The city should become............................... 'A Special Case'.

What they have here is untapped potential. Look at the Bog and Creggan, one club in Sean Dolans, is involved in those areas and they are only getting up and going recently again at underage. For such an area, there should be more clubs catering for such a number - but at the minute, there is not a need because the children don't want it.

What can the County Board lose in going into these areas and helping the youngster integrate into the Sean Dolans club, or if needs be, a new club in the locality?

Why not flood the Bog/Creggan/Brandywell with sporting and cultural propaganda from the Derry County Board?

As I said before, it is a 'Special Case', why not make funds available for people to help carry out such an operation?

restorepride

theticklemister

Quote from: restorepride on November 01, 2018, 12:20:23 AM
Quote from: theticklemister on October 28, 2018, 07:43:32 PM
No craic on here anymore
Enough craic for ye now?! :)

Da craic is ninety lad......................takes the city boys to get her going!

oakleaflad

Actually completely disagree with this. May have been that way in the past but more a lot more emphasis is currently put on the city than anywhere else. Neil Forrester and Brian O'Donnell are never out of the schools and, as has been mentioned previously, there has been a big emphasis on primary school age that has seen large numbers at Go Games from all city clubs.