?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

toby47

Quote from: markl121 on September 18, 2018, 11:58:32 PM
Quote from: Leaveherlong on September 18, 2018, 11:09:28 PM
Anyone see new players in the championship that could make the step up to the senior county team for 2019? Hard to believe we'll start our campaign in Division 4 - I know its reality but, seriously, how did we end up in this situation? Who is asking the hard questions?
After watching nearly all the league games last year I actually think we were a tad unlucky to go down. Offaly and Wexford both of whom we beat handily were by far the worst teams. Narrow defeats to Westmeath and Fermanagh as well as a decent showing against Armagh is where the thing was lost. Longford the only team where we really didn't look in the game at all. As for where we go from here, we'll doesnt the club championship wrap up before the league this year? Surely it will be a benefit to have the whole team available as long as everyone is willing to play. Will be good to have Keenan and McFaul available again. Hopefully last years experience will help some of the lads stepping up from minor and maybe Callum brown will get a few games. Promotion from division four and maybe a win in the Ulster championship would be a decent target.

Damien McErlean has already been on the phone to boys since the 1st round of club championship games

JoG2

Quote from: toby47 on September 19, 2018, 07:41:08 AM
Anyone see new players in the championship that could make the step up to the senior county team for 2019? Hard to believe we'll start our campaign in Division 4 - I know its reality but, seriously, how did we end up in this situation? Who is asking the hard questions?
After watching nearly all the league games last year I actually think we were a tad unlucky to go down. Offaly and Wexford both of whom we beat handily were by far the worst teams. Narrow defeats to Westmeath and Fermanagh as well as a decent showing against Armagh is where the thing was lost. Longford the only team where we really didn't look in the game at all. As for where we go from here, we'll doesnt the club championship wrap up before the league this year? Surely it will be a benefit to have the whole team available as long as everyone is willing to play. Will be good to have Keenan and McFaul available again. Hopefully last years experience will help some of the lads stepping up from minor and maybe Callum brown will get a few games. Promotion from division four and maybe a win in the Ulster championship would be a decent target.

Damien McErlean has already been on the phone to boys since the 1st round of club championship games

Hopefully this is the case. We all know the core group that should be pulling on the county jersey. Obviously not everyone, for whatever reasons will be in a position to do so. What we all want is that this choice is the players and not because they haven't been selected. Lessons have surely been learned from last year. I'll hold judgement until the league squad is announced. Not going straight back up to Div 3 is not an option!

Real Talk

I'm still of the belief that Damian McErlean needs to add an experienced football Club Coach/Manager who is 'tuned in' to what is required when we have to travel to places like Limerick, Waterford and especially to Antrim ....  this a completely different and challenging environment to what we have been used to.   

We need experienced mature players and a small sprinkling of our successful under 20 players to get us out of Div 4.  Grit and disciplined determination is a 'core' requirement and lets hope that Mark Lynch can give us another year.

restorepride

No, Derry were not unlucky, we were not good enough to stay in Division 3 and were very lucky not to have been relegated the year before last.

restorepride

Quote from: toby47 on September 19, 2018, 07:41:08 AM

Who do you think he has phoned?

restorepride

Quote from: Real Talk on September 19, 2018, 05:09:54 PM
I'm still of the belief that Damian McErlean needs to add an experienced football Club Coach/Manager who is 'tuned in' to what is required when we have to travel to places like Limerick, Waterford and especially to Antrim ....  this a completely different and challenging environment to what we have been used to.   

We need experienced mature players and a small sprinkling of our successful under 20 players to get us out of Div 4.  Grit and disciplined determination is a 'core' requirement and lets hope that Mark Lynch can give us another year.
100% correct. Good post.

screenexile

Well that was eventful!!

For a game that should have been over just after half time we made horrible work of it our decision making up front was terrible and had it been just a little better we'd have won handily enough.

Greenlough never gave in and kept trying but they weren't the better team and while the ref was definitely easier on us we were the better team and deserved the win.

Greenlough may have had a case about the ref being sore on them but you lose that moral high ground when players and supporters assault the referee... The County board need to have a serious look at it!

Won't get to see any other games this weekend but we'll have our work cut out in the semi we need a big improvement but glad to get the victory. Our work rate was excellent as well as our defence except for one lapse in concentration for the goal.

Newbridge Exile

Estimator

Ulster League Champions 2009

Newbridge Exile

Saw a few  clips from after the final whistle,  not pleasant viewing

HiMucker

Quote from: screenexile on September 22, 2018, 04:52:18 PM
Well that was eventful!!

For a game that should have been over just after half time we made horrible work of it our decision making up front was terrible and had it been just a little better we'd have won handily enough.

Greenlough never gave in and kept trying but they weren't the better team and while the ref was definitely easier on us we were the better team and deserved the win.

Greenlough may have had a case about the ref being sore on them but you lose that moral high ground when players and supporters assault the referee... The County board need to have a serious look at it!

Won't get to see any other games this weekend but we'll have our work cut out in the semi we need a big improvement but glad to get the victory. Our work rate was excellent as well as our defence except for one lapse in concentration for the goal.
And of course you would say the same thing if the shoe was on the other foot.

lenny

Quote from: HiMucker on September 22, 2018, 08:04:47 PM
Well that was eventful!!

I hope you're not seriously going to try and defend people harassing the ref and someone striking him. I saw the video posted by colm parkinson and it looks disgraceful.

screenexile

Quote from: HiMucker on September 22, 2018, 08:04:47 PM
Well that was eventful!!

Of course!! You don't put your hands on a referee I thought that was widely understood??

Estimator

I would agree with what SE has said about the game.  'Screen should/could have been out of sight at half time.  We intercepted at least 3/4 short kickouts in the first half but didn't turn them all into goals or points, and conspired to give the ball away in excellent positions.  Some bads wides in that first half as well.  But it was comfortable.  The only worry was McBride going off injured at the end of the half.

We went 6pts up shortly after half time, but again hit some bad wides from poor positions when other options were available.  The sending off probably worked in Greenlough's favour, as they upped the effort and we didn't.  The Greenlough player tried to do damage to the door as he headed straight for the changing rooms.  The goal was from a long ball/shot that the Screen defence thought was dropping wide, but was flicked to the net.  Screen responded with two points. And Lynn finished out the scoring.

But it didn't end there...

As soon as Harkin blew the final whistle there was a couple of lads from the bench who sprinted on to get to him.  There was a bit of jostling, but there was no sensible heads on the Greenlough head in to calm things down. And pull lads away from it. Some of the squad were in giving him manners.  Tom O'Kane was knocked to the ground,(although, there seemed to be some sort of confrontation between the two) then the eejit from the crowd got involved running at and shouldering Harkin.  The Greenlough players took the 'supporter' with them into the changing room to get him out of the way.

When that calmed down, it kicked off about 5mins later at the changing rooms. Not sure who was involved in that mess.

The Greenlough GAC social media accounts weren't happy
From Twitter:
"Disgraceful officals and bias shown today as Greenlough exit championship"
"Though frustrations wouldn't boil over if everyone was given a fair chance from the officials. So don't judge the outcome without judging the cause."

Though I think the above tweets have disappeared.

From Facebook:
"When you see one of the supposed neutral umpires attacking our club chairman you have to question how neutral a decision he could make when telling the ref to send off one of our players."

As for the Ref's performance, overall I thought he was grand – not consistent on certain things.  For example the high arm tackle around shoulder height, Philly Bradley got a yellow card for one such challenge and rightly so, it happened shortly after the other way and the ref raised his arm for advantage and play on. A couple of handy frees either way as well. Didn't see the sending off offence, so was surprised by that.  The umpires at the same end missed the clash that ended with McShane on the ground within the 1st 5mins.  The linesman on the stand side also communicated to the ref of another misdemeanour involving a Greenlough player, but the ref didn't want to know.

I'd say the annoyance from the Greenlough side comes from the last couple of plays.  'Screen stripped possession in free scoring range and I think everyone thought the ref was gonna give a free in for the draw, he allowed play to continue.  Greenlough won it back around their own 21yrd line and were about to counter and the ref blows the final whistle.

I've seen a lot more incompetent refereeing displays than todays, and no matter how bad it is, it doesn't warrant that nonsense.

I see the videos of the incident have made it to Colm Parkinson and Twitter.

Already looking forward to the stories on SportsJoe this week...
Ulster League Champions 2009

HiMucker

No that wasn't my point. I think it's disgraceful, and all the bad press will be on greenlough and rightly so. However there has been numerous incidents previously involving screen and certain posters weren't too quick calling them out. One of our players was racially abused during a senior championship game a few seasons back and there wasn't a dicky bird on here about it. So forgive me if I take the condemnation with a pinch of salt. It's GAA wide problem that we try to sweep our own crap under the carpet.