Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Leaveherlong

I've no doubt that Damian will already be speaking with the players he wants in his squad for next season and also having discussions with players who, for one reason or another, have been in and out of squads over recent times. The crucial thing now, with a group of really talented players coming on line, is to ensure the attitude around the squad is right because he can't afford to have people who are not fully on-board with what hes trying to achieve, otherwise the next generation of footballers will be affected too. Things are definitely moving in the right direction now - we just need to keep bringing in people who can make a real contribution to the future, which is looking really bright.

Rawhide

What he is trying to do? eh?  Take us to division four, no one I know can recall when we have been so low, his leadership did that for us. Someone said the last time we were so low was back in the 60's, I have no idea if that correct. He has some work to do to get the players to believe him now.
cccc is a true supporter lol

oakleaflad

Quote from: Rawhide on July 05, 2018, 12:22:19 PM
What he is trying to do? eh?  Take us to division four, no one I know can recall when we have been so low, his leadership did that for us. Someone said the last time we were so low was back in the 60's, I have no idea if that correct. He has some work to do to get the players to believe him now.
We were third from bottom of Division 2B in 2004. Mickey Moran was manager then if I recall correctly.

Rawhide

Quote from: oakleaflad on July 05, 2018, 12:30:25 PM
We were third from bottom of Division 2B in 2004. Mickey Moran was manager then if I recall correctly.

Can you explain that to me. Was there a 1a & 1B, followed by a 2a & 2b? Somewhere in my head I think 1a & 1B were evenly matched from teams from what we would know now as D1&2. it wasn't a case of all the best team in 1a, with weaker teams in 1b, they were evenly distributed between the two leagues?

oakleaflad

Quote from: Rawhide on July 05, 2018, 12:36:26 PM
Quote from: oakleaflad on July 05, 2018, 12:30:25 PM

Can you explain that to me. Was there a 1a & 1B, followed by a 2a & 2b? Somewhere in my head I think 1a & 1B were evenly matched from teams from what we would know now as D1&2. it wasn't a case of all the best team in 1a, with weaker teams in 1b, they were evenly distributed between the two leagues?
They were evenly distributed aye, no difference between A & B in quality. Relegated from 1A to 2A for example.
Just the fact that Derry finished in the bottom half of one of the Division 2's, only ahead of Waterford and Louth having had a look, meant that this would equate to Division 4 standard.

Rawhide

No, its doesn't equate. We are in division four which is a straight forward top to bottom structure, that other system was no like that at all

oakleaflad

Quote from: Rawhide on July 05, 2018, 01:21:06 PM
No, its doesn't equate. We are in division four which is a straight forward top to bottom structure, that other system was no like that at all
We'd have to agree to disagree there then.

Assuming Division 2A was a roughly similar standard we would have been 5th or 6th from bottom in the country in League football that year. Equivalent to 3rd or 4th place in Division 4 in the current system.

You can't say were the lowest we've been in 50 odd years when the divisions simply weren't structured that way.   

Mario

Quote from: oakleaflad on July 05, 2018, 01:31:05 PM

Assuming Division 2A was a roughly similar standard we would have been 5th or 6th from bottom in the country in League football that year. Equivalent to 3rd or 4th place in Division 4 in the current system.

You can't say were the lowest we've been in 50 odd years when the divisions simply weren't structured that way.
We also got to an all ireland semi final. I'd much rather be where we were at in 04.

oakleaflad

Quote from: Mario on July 05, 2018, 01:51:49 PM
Quote from: oakleaflad on July 05, 2018, 01:31:05 PM

We also got to an all ireland semi final. I'd much rather be where we were at in 04.
We did and me too, we had a better team then. Doesn't change the fact that we were one of the poorest teams in the league that year though, which is the point I was trying to make.

Wildweasel74

Derry had ended up in the 2b section from the league been altered around either the yr or 2 yrs b4 that! I know Derry had played wicklow and tipp round then too! I have to check i got nearly all neswpaper cuttings from derry senior games from 1993 to the present day!

BackInTheGame

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 05, 2018, 07:07:31 PM
Derry had ended up in the 2b section from the league been altered around either the yr or 2 yrs b4 that! I know Derry had played wicklow and tipp round then too! I have to check i got nearly all neswpaper cuttings from derry senior games from 1993 to the present day!
Some collection! Was that the year we played Waterford (or was it Wicklow maybe?) in the league up at Slaughtneil? Might be way off but if it was, I just remember Paddy Bradley sending his marker for a sandwich with an unreal dummy before putting it over.

Wildweasel74

Need look through them, got everything spilt up by year

Champion The Wonder Horse

Disquiet at the foot of the Carn?

BackInTheGame

Champion The Wonder Horse