Quote from: restorepride on June 10, 2018, 09:07:06 PM
Quote from: braveheart on June 10, 2018, 08:03:13 PM
Quote from: restorepride on June 10, 2018, 04:30:41 PM
Quote from: Drag And Pull on June 10, 2018, 04:25:36 PM
Quote from: restorepride on June 10, 2018, 04:16:54 PM
Quote from: Drag And Pull on June 10, 2018, 01:24:08 PM
Quote from: restorepride on June 10, 2018, 12:22:11 PM
Quote from: Drag And Pull on June 10, 2018, 10:40:20 AM
We are getting away from Derry's shortcomings,  but this whole modern stuff with cynical play has gotten out of hand. All top level sport has an element of 'cynical play'. Successful teams are not angels. Our only all-Ireland winning team had their share, anyone who thinks differently is in la-la land. Off the ball holding, third man tackes, taking out the runner. These type of things actually used to be worse.
Name them.

Not going to personalize things with our 93 team, but you can't be serious! Look at our current all-Ireland champs. What did all their players do when Rock scored the last point?
As I mentioned earlier,  this is distracting from a symbolic year that our senior football team had. No point in blaming those big bad cynical Kildare men. Carlow seemed to handle them.
Knew you were full of shite about 93.

Greg Blaney must have hit himself off the ball in the marshes! Niall Cahalane must have knocked his own teeth out in the final. Grow up and learn how to watch.
And you are still full of shite trying to discredit our 93 team. Grow a pair and name them.
Don't be silly. We had masters of cynicism on that team and everyone who watched football in that generation new them. We laughed when they played for Derry and we yelled and screamed at them when they played for their clubs because we knew what they were at.
Go ahead big balls and name them. Or are you another bluffer?
Not for naming anyone but heard of the Cahalane story in the aftermath of 93 and dont think drag and pull is trying to "discredit the 93 team"  by bringing it up, , back them if you were mixing it with the likes of Meath/ Cork/ Donegal  for example you had to be able to meet fire with fire  in terms of the physicality and " cuteness " that they had.

JoG2

Quote from: braveheart on June 10, 2018, 08:58:39 PM
Another point. I don't know the exact numbers but kildare seemed to have as many,if not more supporters in Owenbeg yesterday. Derry need to bring the National league games to Glen/Bellaghy/Ballinascreen next year if they want a decent support behind the team.

Ah, jayzus Braveheart, would Kildare have had 4-500 max there yesterday?? Owenbeg is a handy enough drive for anyone in the county, how much more do we want to move the mountain to Mohammad? There's serious apathy in the county towards the county teams, not just the senior football team. Folk need to stop the sniping and get behind the county. In the past I would have had zero problem with the games being in Glen, 'Screen wherever (I live 7 mins from Celtic Pk door to door btw), but the last couple of years, especially travelling to the away games, I'm now of the opinion, if a man or woman wouldn't travel to support their county in Dungiven, will they can run on.

JoG2

Quote from: Newbridge Exile on June 10, 2018, 10:07:52 PM
We are getting away from Derry's shortcomings,  but this whole modern stuff with cynical play has gotten out of hand. All top level sport has an element of 'cynical play'. Successful teams are not angels. Our only all-Ireland winning team had their share, anyone who thinks differently is in la-la land. Off the ball holding, third man tackes, taking out the runner. These type of things actually used to be worse.
Name them.

Not going to personalize things with our 93 team, but you can't be serious! Look at our current all-Ireland champs. What did all their players do when Rock scored the last point?
As I mentioned earlier,  this is distracting from a symbolic year that our senior football team had. No point in blaming those big bad cynical Kildare men. Carlow seemed to handle them.

Greg Blaney must have hit himself off the ball in the marshes! Niall Cahalane must have knocked his own teeth out in the final. Grow up and learn how to watch.
And you are still full of shite trying to discredit our 93 team. Grow a pair and name them.
Don't be silly. We had masters of cynicism on that team and everyone who watched football in that generation new them. We laughed when they played for Derry and we yelled and screamed at them when they played for their clubs because we knew what they were at.
Not for naming anyone but heard of the Cahalane story in the aftermath of 93 and dont think drag and pull is trying to "discredit the 93 team"  by bringing it up, , back them if you were mixing it with the likes of Meath/ Cork/ Donegal  for example you had to be able to meet fire with fire  in terms of the physicality and " cuteness " that they had.

Wee Johnny, the Hulk, Barton, McKeever for eg, those boys all had a bit of divelment in them

Estimator

Some ramblings about the game yesterday:

Derry beaten by the better team. There are two divisions between the two sides. And the end result reflected that. Yes, Kildare hadn't won a match all year. But they were playing against the top sides in the country and weren't embarrassed by too many of them. Derry were playing Div 3 sides and were getting beat.

The Carlow game is one of those anomalies. Didn't they have a 100% scoring return, which is virtually unheard of, and I'm sure Kildare will go further than them in the qualifiers.

Kildare's pace throughout the team was immense. And giving them the kick outs wasn't a great idea. Never understood conceding kick outs and then let the opposition have a free run  to your own 45. Some of that is the sweeper system, but at times we'd the numbers to cut out the short kick out, but didn't track a runner. Especially just before half time. We scored with injury time up. The kick out should have been forced long, but it wasn't and Kildare went up the field to score a handy point from a free.

Kildare's shooting was superb to start. I think they hit 1-05 before their first wide. Derry missed a few Bradley hit one free wide and one of the post. Though he did have O'Neill roaring in his ear during the run up. Bradley also hit a shot with the right which he didn't catch right, after doing all the hard work with a great dummy. So there's 3 valuable scores that got away. I don't want to be picking on Bradley, I thought he had a great game regardless and one of the few that stood out.

Coldricks performance was erratic at best. The first black card for Kildare was wrong. Not giving blatant fouls either way. Regarding the high tackles, he can't do anything else other than give yellow cards.  With the Red Card for Lynch, it looks like he pushed the Kildare man in the face.  And he made the most of it. Unlike McHugh in the Down/Donegal game.

The Kildare Maor Foirne was constantly disrupting the Derry's kickout in the second half. As soon as Kildare scored / hit a wide. He was good 15/20yds on the pitch just to be a presence on that side of the pitch, and fill a space. Someone should have filled him. It was a clear tactic, didn't seem to need to do the same thing on Kildare's kick outs.

Thought Cassidy had a great game, Doherty and Bradley too. Sean Leo was always composed. Rogers when he came on kept Flynn on a leash. And McGuigan was always giving an option up front.

Ultimately the tackles / hits weren't happening until they were already within scoring range and it was too easy for them. They seemed to score from everyone of their own kick outs. And we didn't. And of course they were gonna be cynical as Derry were get through a few gaps in the defence. Don't expect anything less these days.

Division 4 is where we are at for the coming season. I'd like to think that there is enough in this team to get out of the Division at the first time of asking.
Ulster League Champions 2009

ON THE HILL

Surly county board will have some sense now and play league games in 2 weeks time? then take a week or 2 weeks off over july fortnight? crazy to put games on 15th july, world cup final day and loads of people away on holidays.

toby47

Saturdays match a side that was as bad a year as there's been in my time following the county. Down to division 4 and no championship wins (albeit the draw wasn't very kind to us)

One thing summed it up for me. After 8 months (November-June) of training, preparation and everything else our county manager had a Goalkeeping coach who hasn't even played club football in 3 years - on the bench for the county team. Absolute shambles. With that level of preparation we are going nowhere.

Waataboutyee

Quote from: JoG2 on June 10, 2018, 10:12:55 PM
Quote from: Newbridge Exile on June 10, 2018, 10:07:52 PM
Name them.

Wee Johnny, the Hulk, Barton, McKeever for eg, those boys all had a bit of divelment in them
You are nearly suggesting that naming them would be some kind of a character deformation - discredit them my arse! The 93 team was loaded with men who did what it took and were full of men with plenty of "divelment".
McKeever, Downey x 2, McGurk, Barton were as cute a set of hures as you would get on any pitch. And as for McGilligan - not so much cute just a savage!

Estimator

Quote from: toby47 on June 11, 2018, 08:27:40 AM
Saturdays match a side that was as bad a year as there's been in my time following the county. Down to division 4 and no championship wins (albeit the draw wasn't very kind to us)

One thing summed it up for me. After 8 months (November-June) of training, preparation and everything else our county manager had a Goalkeeping coach who hasn't even played club football in 3 years - on the bench for the county team. Absolute shambles. With that level of preparation we are going nowhere.

In fairness, who would want to be the 3rd Choice County Keeper?  What club would support their first choice keeper missing games because they were 3rd choice for the county. We've had lads who've stepped away from the county scene because there was going to be some competition and rotation for the No.1 spot. Which is a decision that they are fully entitled to make. Didn't Mickey C have to tog out for the county a couple of years ago as well, as goalkeeper coach.  Admittedly he was still playing club football at the time, but it still happened.  Derry have two young goalkeepers, hopefully with long county careers in front of them, and hopefully they keep pushing each other to improve.

toby47

Quote from: Estimator on June 11, 2018, 09:52:12 AM
Quote from: toby47 on June 11, 2018, 08:27:40 AM

In fairness, who would want to be the 3rd Choice County Keeper?  What club would support their first choice keeper missing games because they were 3rd choice for the county. We've had lads who've stepped away from the county scene because there was going to be some competition and rotation for the No.1 spot. Which is a decision that they are fully entitled to make. Didn't Mickey C have to tog out for the county a couple of years ago as well, as goalkeeper coach.  Admittedly he was still playing club football at the time, but it still happened.  Derry have two young goalkeepers, hopefully with long county careers in front of them, and hopefully they keep pushing each other to improve.

Should have had a 2nd choice keeper on the panel and used the u20 keeper as u20 only. At the end of the day they didn't select him for the game yesterday anyway? So do the u20's not have a keeper on the bench? Not that Gillis had to come on yesterday but I'm just saying it wouldn't happen in any of the counties that are going well at the minute.

Estimator

Yeah, maybe an issue was having McKinless and Hartin as senior goalkeepers with both being U20.  I'd assume that Hartin wasn't named yesterday as the management didn't want to take the risk of having to use him for the seniors and thus ruling him of the U20's.
AFAIK Scullion is currently the second choice keeper for the U20's.
I still think that McKinless is the first choice keeper with both Barton and McErlain going with him over the last two years.  I've no idea as to what other goalkeepers were or were not asked to join the panel.  Or if players refused as they'd end up with little or no game time.

TheOptimist

Quote from: JoG2 on June 10, 2018, 10:10:48 PM
Another point. I don't know the exact numbers but kildare seemed to have as many,if not more supporters in Owenbeg yesterday. Derry need to bring the National league games to Glen/Bellaghy/Ballinascreen next year if they want a decent support behind the team.

Ah, jayzus Braveheart, would Kildare have had 4-500 max there yesterday?? Owenbeg is a handy enough drive for anyone in the county, how much more do we want to move the mountain to Mohammad? There's serious apathy in the county towards the county teams, not just the senior football team. Folk need to stop the sniping and get behind the county. In the past I would have had zero problem with the games being in Glen, 'Screen wherever (I live 7 mins from Celtic Pk door to door btw), but the last couple of years, especially travelling to the away games, I'm now of the opinion, if a man or woman wouldn't travel to support their county in Dungiven, will they can run on.

Plus they're crap fans anyway. Streaming out of the ground with six in it and the best part of ten minute to play. Same old story, Derry fans always seem to have somewhere better to be. Very disrespectful to the players.

toby47

Quote from: Estimator on June 11, 2018, 10:49:56 AM
Yeah, maybe an issue was having McKinless and Hartin as senior goalkeepers with both being U20.  I'd assume that Hartin wasn't named yesterday as the management didn't want to take the risk of having to use him for the seniors and thus ruling him of the U20's.
AFAIK Scullion is currently the second choice keeper for the U20's.
I still think that McKinless is the first choice keeper with both Barton and McErlain going with him over the last two years.  I've no idea as to what other goalkeepers were or were not asked to join the panel.  Or if players refused as they'd end up with little or no game time.

In my eyes Senior championship should take priority. 1st choice keeper should start, 2nd choice keeper should be on bench (only in a rare case will he be needed anyway) then if not needed should start u20 game and u20 2nd choice should be on the bench (starting - in the rare case Hartin was needed in senior game)

I as much as anyone would love to see the u20's have a great year, however seniors should take priority. On that note the u20's have an Ulster final to look forward to now, brilliant going. The only game I saw them play was  Q.Final win over Donegal and I was seriously impressed. Looking forward to the final.

Rawhide

What can you say about the season. Lets cut to the chase, we had a tough draw in the Ulster championship, but our performance was poor, Donegal never got out of first gear and the game was over after 15 minutes. I can accept getting beat by Donegal they are a cut above us, so are Kildare. But why cough up kick outs so easily? it makes your job to win the match considerably tougher.
Mc Erlain is a poor manager at this leve,l him and his back room team lack of experience has shone through and his decisions at the heel of the hunt put us into division four, a few more experienced players would have kept us in division 3, two points would have been enough. He should never have taken the job, it was to early for him, a couple of years with the u20's then progress,  but he did and he has to live with the fact that he took Derry to division four for the first time in decades. But as direct result of his  decisions we are in division four and it will be hard to get out of it. Why because I believe many of the players will have lost faith in him already, our current group of players are a fickle lot, a reflection of our current apathy towards our county team in many ways. The CB fecked up in this appointment big time.
cccc is a true supporter lol

theticklemister

Quote from: TheOptimist on June 11, 2018, 11:01:10 AM

Plus they're crap fans anyway. Streaming out of the ground with six in it and the best part of ten minute to play. Same old story, Derry fans always seem to have somewhere better to be. Very disrespectful to the players.

We are taking the County team's home base further south, we'll be in Tyrone playing.

Anyway, as Derry Optimist said. We have shit support, we have had for years, no matter where the game is.

Anywho, what was the attendance on Saturday?

Estimator

Quote from: theticklemister on June 11, 2018, 01:02:23 PM
Quote from: TheOptimist on June 11, 2018, 11:01:10 AM

We are taking the County team’s home base further south, we’ll be in Tyrone playing.

Anyway, as Derry Optimist said. We have shit support, we have had for years, no matter where the game is.

Anywho, what was the attendance on Saturday?

Just shy of 2700