Liam Hayes article - Sunday Tribune

Started by turk, May 08, 2007, 04:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Lads, as has been said umpteen times already, it's the silly season for GAA journalism. The Tribune should include a free CD of the Jaws soundtrack to play in the background next time you read one of Hayes' articles. He is becoming quite the prophet of doom. A bit like the fellas predicting a property crash. You get the feeling they'd like it to happen just so they'd be proved right. Liam was a super footballer, but he's starting to bore me now. Check out the Times championship supplement today to see how it should be done.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

blast05

QuoteI'd say this is a bit of a freudian slip.

One would like to think so but the reference to John Maughan instead of John O'Mahony would question that, unless i am missing another freudian  ???

darbyo

I was literally dumbstruck at the idiocy of this article, easily one of the worst pieces of drivile I've ever read,

QuoteAnd, for one minute, do you think the GAA at large cares? Do you imagine, for one second, that one or two of the lads in Croke Park on the big bucks have sat down and considered the implications of 'losing' Tyrone and Armagh?
What are Croke Park meant to do if certain teams are coming to the end of their shelf life (which neither are IMO)?

QuoteIn Gaelic football the problem is this, and it's quite simple really . . . Nicky Brennan and his buddies think they have a game which they can sell to TV companies for billions and gazillions of euro but, at the same time, they are investing just four or five million each year (in travelling and training expenses) in the 'stars' of the games.
As for this gem, it really makes you wonder....

Billys Boots

QuoteBTW, this made me laugh out loud:

...  the most articulate and influential GAA writer of this generation ... Martin Breheny

Ah now Hardy, you must admit the article made sense up to that point.   :P

And I'm very disappointed that you haven't tried to make sense/contextualise/defend the words of the gallant Meathman/Carlaman.  Shame.   :P
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

5 Sams

Its a pity..... he can come out with lazy shite like this....yet on the other hand his book "Out of our Skins" was excellent.
The Aristocrat Years

Hardy

Billy, we acknowledge that not all Meathmen are perfect. Apart from Hayes the journalist, there's Hector, Da Dook of Wellington, Eamonn Barry. That's it, I think. (Hayes the footballer and autobiographer was a mighty man).

And I'm sure you'll admit that for every Larry Cunningham or Declan Nerney, there's a son of Longford that you wouldn't be as fast to claim.

magickingdom

there has always been something very annoying about hayes, maybe its because he was such a good footballer you expect a bit more. if just once he could add something constructive to his list of moans, he never fcukin quits moaning. after 3 days i still havent finished his article. its hard to get behind 1)the headline - gaa in meltdown (please) 2) breheny - the most articulate and influential gaa writer of this generation (oh please) 3) croke park - open air swimming pool or something like that (oh fcukin please).. i read peter quinns article and posted here how i thought it was brilliant, hayes has made sh1t of it....

Billys Boots

QuoteAnd I'm sure you'll admit that for every Larry Cunningham or Declan Nerney, there's a son of Longford that you wouldn't be as fast to claim.

When you put it like that ...  :P
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Mayo4Sam

Hayes is the biggest bull-shitter writing, he constantly comes out with sensationalist shite, runs down everyone and generally acts like a complete ****.
Discussing him is only prolonging his career as a journalist
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Gnevin

It's rare that i find a published peace that i can't find one thing to agree with . Big Ian would of have more netural comments about GAA if asked on Tuesday .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

The Claw

Notice the way Hayes didnt name himself amonst the managers who are not getting paid yet he gives out about those who put their life and sole into the GAA.