Eamonn Holmes advocates creation of office of "N.Ireland President"

Started by T Fearon, April 13, 2017, 02:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

He has in mind a Michael D like figure,politically neutral,who would represent the jurisdiction and all its people at home and abroad,around whom we could all rally and unite.

Must say I see the merit in this and also agree with Holmes advocacy of a neutral flag and anthem for the jurisdiction,signifying the irrefutable fact that we do have our own unique identity, separate and distinct from the Freestate,England,Scotland and Wales

Tubberman

Quote from: T Fearon on April 13, 2017, 02:49:20 PM
He has in mind a Michael D like figure,politically neutral,who would represent the jurisdiction and all its people at home and abroad,around whom we could all rally and unite.

Must say I see the merit in this and also agree with Holmes advocacy of a neutral flag and anthem for the jurisdiction,signifying the irrefutable fact that we do have our own unique identity, separate and distinct from the Freestate,England,Scotland and Wales

Will you be throwing your hat in the ring?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

stew

Alternatively Higgins could be our President, the six countie could be United and the four green fields would be united under the tri color once more!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Farrandeelin

It'd be interesting to see the likes of Nelson McCausland stating if he has the same cultural identity as you.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

johnneycool

Quote from: Farrandeelin on April 13, 2017, 02:59:56 PM

It'd be interesting to see the likes of Nelson McCausland stating if he has the same cultural identity as you.

I'd have thought Wullie Frazer would have been Tony's PUL equivalent.

Office of first President and Deputy first president has a certain ring to it.

lurganblue

Eamonn Holmes can f*ck away af

NAG1

Funny he suggest this just at the time that the dispora and us Ulster Irish folk are mooted to be getting a vote on the next president of Ireland.

T Fearon

Perhaps he is recognising the absolute folly of allegiance to Dublin or London given neither wants,understands nor can afford us therefore uniting the two northern communities is the only viable option

Applesisapples

Absolute Bollocksology. Have you are Eamonn not seen the support that the Shinners got a Prez for OWC would be a further divisive symbol of a non existent country.

Applesisapples

Quote from: T Fearon on April 13, 2017, 04:29:10 PM
Perhaps he is recognising the absolute folly of allegiance to Dublin or London given neither wants,understands nor can afford us therefore uniting the two northern communities is the only viable option
Or perhaps like most Irish who make it big in Britain he has gone native.

T Fearon

Is a UI any closer on account of SF's mandate? Are they (and logically Northern Nationalists) not universally reviled in the Dail? Is Dublin doing anything.to end partition?

Rossfan

Quote from: T Fearon on April 13, 2017, 04:29:10 PM
....Dublin or London given neither wants,understands nor can afford us therefore uniting the two northern communities is the only viable option
Viable?
Whose going to stump up to make the Sick Counties viable.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Franko

Quote from: T Fearon on April 13, 2017, 04:52:26 PM
Is a UI any closer on account of SF's mandate? Are they (and logically Northern Nationalists) not universally reviled in the Dail? Is Dublin doing anything.to end partition?

Erm, yes, I'd say it is.  Jeffrey Donaldson was quoted the other day as saying "I wouldn't say a united Ireland is inevitable".  Now, think about that - go back 10 years and ask yourself if you would have heard even the most moderate of unionist politicians coming out with something like this.  Even the uber-bigots know the ground is shifting.

T Fearon

Please someone explain to me why you would be interested in a United Ireland in light of the following?

- Dublin's willing abandonment of the North at the time of partition

- De Valera rejecting Churchill's offer of reunification during WW2?

- No meaningful effort to end partition by any Southern based politicians or parties in 100 years.

- Northern affairs managed by Dublin's "Foreign Affairs" Dept

- The abolition,recommended by every Irish Nationalist Party,of Articles 2 and 3,from the Freestate constitution,thus recognising that the North is effectively part of the UK

- SF,the official voice of Irish Nationalism,are universally reviled in the Dail.

- Recent admission by a Senior FG TD,that Irish reunification is economically unaffordable.

- Dublin willing to see a hard border re installed between North and South rather than leave and reclaim full sovereignty from the EU.