Mrs browne

Started by lawnseed, March 24, 2017, 10:45:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STREET FIGHTER

Quote from: T Fearon on March 25, 2017, 01:16:48 PM
Like other crap "comedies" like Father Ted,Mrs Brown owes its popularity in Britain to its portrayal and compliance with the Irish stereotype view there that we are all stupid,idiotic,foul mouthed,drunken etc

Yeah....except Father Ted was brilliant...

T Fearon

gallsman

Dreadful shite altogether.

Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on March 25, 2017, 05:18:31 PMYeah....except Father Ted was brilliant...

Decent but massively overrated in this part of the world.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: gallsman on March 25, 2017, 05:53:40 PM
Dreadful shite altogether.

Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on March 25, 2017, 05:18:31 PMYeah....except Father Ted was brilliant...

Decent but massively overrated in this part of the world.
Ah now.

ONeill

If Fr Ted was about Protestants, Tony would love it and probably have his photo taken with every actor in it.

As for Mrs Browne, it's one hell of a success. Don't watch it unless it's on and she doesn't turn over. It's appealing to some people, somewhere. Probably in the midlands. Themuns in Longford, Offaly etc laugh at anything to escape from their daily routines.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: ONeill on March 25, 2017, 06:44:09 PM
If Fr Ted was about Protestants, Tony would love it and probably have his photo taken with every actor in it.

As for Mrs Browne, it's one hell of a success. Don't watch it unless it's on and she doesn't turn over. It's appealing to some people, somewhere. Probably in the midlands. Themuns in Longford, Offaly etc laugh at anything to escape from their daily routines.

What explains the GB success of it?  It was a major element of Red Nose Day on BBC (none of which was funny) and it is produced by BBC Scotland at BBC Pacific Quay studios.

Then again the British sitcom in the last 20 years has generally been very poor compared with the classics of the 70s, 80s and even some of the 90s.

Jeepers Creepers

Comparing Mrs Browne to Fr Ted! Christ the night!

Itchy

Father ted is like a documentary on the church that is funny. Mrs Browne is for people who like Brendan grace and Niall Tobin.

brokencrossbar1

Tony Fearon in 'The anti Catholic Church comedy isn't funny!' Shocker😂

T Fearon

"Kick Bishop Brennan up the arse". God,strap my rib cages together,I'm splitting my sides laughing,that is so funny...not.Hang on,write a Eurovision song about a horse,I'm in convulsions laughing...not.

Actually I thought Dave Allen's parody of Catholicism was far more witty and intellectual,thought provoking even.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: T Fearon on March 25, 2017, 11:23:19 PM

Actually I thought Dave Allen's parody of Catholicism was far more witty and intellectual,thought provoking even.

I actually agree

Asal Mor

Quote from: Itchy on March 25, 2017, 09:33:08 PM
Father ted is like a documentary on the church that is funny. Mrs Browne is for people who like Brendan grace and Niall Tobin.
Niall Tobin at his best . . .
https://youtu.be/6QKo3z0r424
Still very funny if a bit dated, but not reliant on bad language and toilet humour. It reflects badly on the human race that Mrs Browne is so popular

Fr Ted was over-rated and gets worse with every rerun.

johnneycool

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 25, 2017, 11:54:56 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on March 25, 2017, 11:23:19 PM

I actually agree

Yip,
   Dave allen was fantastic viewing and Fr Ted is good, but not in the same league.

screenexile

I think Mrs Brown is absolute muck... just like Give my Head Peace is muck but people like it so more power to them it's not my cup of tea.

Different people like different things I love most of Ricky Gervais' work and think The Office is probably the most genius sitcom ever written but he massively divides opinion depending on who you speak to.

Each to their own I say but the Mrs or the parents wouldn't need to be putting on Mrs Brown when I'm in the house!!

NAG1

Quote from: screenexile on March 27, 2017, 12:35:57 PM
I think Mrs Brown is absolute muck... just like Give my Head Peace is muck but people like it so more power to them it's not my cup of tea.

Different people like different things I love most of Ricky Gervais' work and think The Office is probably the most genius sitcom ever written but he massively divides opinion depending on who you speak to.

Each to their own I say but the Mrs or the parents wouldn't need to be putting on Mrs Brown when I'm in the house!!

Mrs Brown pure muck.
Ricky Gervais I have never found in the slightest bit funny not even by accident.