Dún na nGall vs Tír Eoghain, Ballybofey, Saturday 18th March @7pm

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, March 12, 2017, 10:22:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Quote from: Rois on March 18, 2017, 10:04:23 PM
Near the end Murphy actually pulled up and stood with the ball in his hand before the ref blew the whistle for a free after a tackle. Just knew he would get it.

That was it. Coldrick was his bitch today. I even think he nodded at Coldrick then.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

imtommygunn

Quote from: J70 on March 18, 2017, 08:51:44 PM

Give poor Ryan McHugh a rest - that lad takes some abuse!
Is this a joke? Were you at the game J70 or just watching on TV? Because he was the perpetrator of so much crap so don't be misled hat poor wee Ryan doesn't give it.

Tyrone were woeful, as bad as I have seen in a long time. No excuses. Gulf in skill and execution.

There's a few things that leave a bad taste though (I'm sore having wasted a trip down from Belfast to watch this rubbish). Near the end Murphy actually pulled up and stood with the ball in his hand before the ref blew the whistle for a free after a tackle. Just knew he would get it.
Ref called a Tyrone player for over carrying. Didn't call any Donegal for over carrying at all. This rule bugs me, if you're going to call it then be consistent. But the ref didn't lose us the game.

Didn't see the game tonight and quite like donegal but murphy gets away with murder. His tackling is atrocious and also dangerous. Getting away with it helps no one and probably helps make him like what you say above you are a rational poster and i would well believe it.

O'neill's post on the other hand smells like sour grapes ;D

J70

Quote from: J70 on March 18, 2017, 08:51:44 PM

Give poor Ryan McHugh a rest - that lad takes some abuse!
Is this a joke? Were you at the game J70 or just watching on TV? Because he was the perpetrator of so much crap so don't be misled hat poor wee Ryan doesn't give it.

Tyrone were woeful, as bad as I have seen in a long time. No excuses. Gulf in skill and execution.

There's a few things that leave a bad taste though (I'm sore having wasted a trip down from Belfast to watch this rubbish). Near the end Murphy actually pulled up and stood with the ball in his hand before the ref blew the whistle for a free after a tackle. Just knew he would get it.
Ref called a Tyrone player for over carrying. Didn't call any Donegal for over carrying at all. This rule bugs me, if you're going to call it then be consistent. But the ref didn't lose us the game.

No, I wasn't at the game (I'm in the states). But you don't have to be to see the amount of hits McHugh takes.

One thing hasn't changed in all the years since I've been a regular live match attendee... the whining from the Tyrone and Armagh ones on this board about the refs when they play Donegal, no matter what the result! ;D

redcard

Donegal much slicker than Tyrone on the night. More clinical with their chances throughout the game and wholly deserved the victory. Donegal players were well up for this and obviously were stung by the Ulster Final defeat. The same goes for their supporters who cheered and jeered in what seemed equal measure. They had got there early and had the stand packed 40 mins before the game.  Justy is a real villain for the Donegal fans.
The crowd were reminded not to go on to the pitch at the end. I was half expecting the two points to be presented to Donegal on the pitch at the end given the glee of the supporters. Atrocious conditions for both players and supporters.

omagh_gael

Complete systems breakdown tonight from Tyrone. Draw a line under it and move on with lessons learned. Good to have a game next weekend to get back on track. 

Dirty hoor of a night matched only by the shite football (bar Donegal's point taking in first half). Last one for me is Michael Murphy loves the old forearm smash to the head tackle, some man to ref a game too ;)

Rois

Quote from: J70 on March 18, 2017, 10:51:13 PM
One thing hasn't changed in all the years since I've been a regular live match attendee... the whining from the Tyrone and Armagh ones on this board about the refs when they play Donegal, no matter what the result! ;D
Ah well I find I watch the ref a lot - I accompany my dad to games and he was a ref assessor for Croke Park refs committee so for years we have discussed referee performance after all games. So it's not just Donegal who get that level of scrutiny/moaning from us. Coldrick wouldn't rank highly from the start anyway so he was always fighting a losing battle with me.  It always seems worse when you lose the game too of course, and I did say that the ref didn't lose us the game.
But the two points I made still stand.

You didn't then see the off camera antics that McHugh got involved in, and I'm just saying he is certainly not innocent of giving abuse himself so I find it hard to have sympathy. So you're the same as the rest of us, can't be fully impartial when your own county is involved. But isn't that part of the craic?!

Yeah poor Justin got booed off! Not enough Tyrone people there to drown it out. I'm sure he won't lose any sleep.

J70

Never claimed to be impartial Rois. I generally don't bitch about the referees though. They have a very tough job with a fast moving game and players out to fool them and get one real time look at an incident. The standards expected from them by many on this board are just laughable.

You're correct that I don't see what McHugh does off the ball. What does he do? He certainly not dishing out the amount of hits ON the ball that he takes. And I'm not complaining about that. He's a small, fast, very skillful player. He is going to be fouled, a lot. A bit like the auld fella in that respect. And it's not going to change. I'm just saying that perhaps Rory Gallagher should rest him a wee bit now we're safe. It has to take its toll on the body.

BennyHarp

Donegal have gathered up an impressive collection of good young players. This was one of those nights that they had to lay down a marker and they did just that. Their point taking was superb, especially in those conditions. This game will have no baring on what happens in the summer, but Donegal look to be still a major threat in Ulster which is impressive given the number of players they have recently lost.
That was never a square ball!!

J70

Quote from: redcard on March 18, 2017, 11:12:31 PM
Donegal much slicker than Tyrone on the night. More clinical with their chances throughout the game and wholly deserved the victory. Donegal players were well up for this and obviously were stung by the Ulster Final defeat. The same goes for their supporters who cheered and jeered in what seemed equal measure. They had got there early and had the stand packed 40 mins before the game.  Justy is a real villain for the Donegal fans.
The crowd were reminded not to go on to the pitch at the end. I was half expecting the two points to be presented to Donegal on the pitch at the end given the glee of the supporters. Atrocious conditions for both players and supporters.

Here's what Keith Duggan (a Donegal man, admittedly, but a very good GAA journalist) had to say on Murphy and McMahon in the Times:

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/donegal-leave-tyrone-chasing-shadows-on-brute-of-a-night-1.3016247

Whatever position Murphy plays nowadays will not be found in Joe Lennon's book on Gaelic football. Yes he played midfield but he hung back and directed play from outside his 50 and decided against engaging McMahon in the kind of MMA engagement which has characterised their summer meetings.

Shortly after time, Justin McMahon grew weary of Murphy's refusal to rumble and wrestled his man to the ground, provoking a general skirmish which resulted in two Tyrone yellows – for Tiernan McCann (second man in) and McMahon himself. Harte called his centre back ashore after that to the vocal delight of the home crowd, for whom the Omagh man has become the pantomime villain of this showpiece.

J70

Quote from: BennyHarp on March 18, 2017, 11:44:17 PM
Donegal have gathered up an impressive collection of good young players. This was one of those nights that they had to lay down a marker and they did just that. Their point taking was superb, especially in those conditions. This game will have no baring on what happens in the summer, but Donegal look to be still a major threat in Ulster which is impressive given the number of players they have recently lost.

Bodes well for next year if the likes of MacNiallais and McLoone decide to come back and these young lads are a year further on. But... its only the league. It will be a big ask for us to beat Tyrone THIS summer, but hopefully (assuming we get past Antrim) we'll give them a good scare.

StGallsGAA

Quotequote author J70

Here's what Keith Duggan (a Donegal man, admittedly, but a very good GAA journalist) had to say on Murphy and McMahon in the Times:

😀😅🤔🤥😜🤐😲🤑🤠🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡

J70

Quote from: StGallsGAA on March 18, 2017, 11:54:46 PM
Quote from: J70 on March 18, 2017, 11:46:12 PM

[bHere's what Keith Duggan (a Donegal man, admittedly, but a very good GAA journalist) [/b]had to say on Murphy and McMahon in the Times:

😀😅🤔🤥😜🤐😲🤑🤠🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡

Was he wrong?

StGallsGAA

Quote from: J70 on March 18, 2017, 11:57:12 PM

[bHere's what Keith Duggan (a Donegal man, admittedly, but a very good GAA journalist) [/b]had to say on Murphy and McMahon in the Times:

😀😅🤔🤥😜🤐😲🤑🤠🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡

Was he wrong?

Was a partisan Donegal journalist warranted in his criticism of Justin McMahon in a game v Donegal?  Think about that for a bit.

redcard

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/donegal-leave-tyrone-chasing-shadows-on-brute-of-a-night-1.3016247

Whatever position Murphy plays nowadays will not be found in Joe Lennon's book on Gaelic football. Yes he played midfield but he hung back and directed play from outside his 50 and decided against engaging McMahon in the kind of MMA engagement which has characterised their summer meetings.

Shortly after time, Justin McMahon grew weary of Murphy's refusal to rumble and wrestled his man to the ground, provoking a general skirmish which resulted in two Tyrone yellows – for Tiernan McCann (second man in) and McMahon himself. Harte called his centre back ashore after that to the vocal delight of the home crowd, for whom the Omagh man has become the pantomime villain of this showpiece.

So the Donegal journalist agrees with O'Neill then?

J70

Quote from: StGallsGAA on March 19, 2017, 12:01:48 AM
Quote from: J70 on March 18, 2017, 11:57:12 PM

😀😅🤔🤥😜🤐😲🤑🤠🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡🤡

Was he wrong?

Was a partisan Donegal journalist warranted in his criticism of Justin McMahon in a game v Donegal?  Think about that for a bit.

Duggan is one of the Times main GAA journalists.

If you think he is biased and unprofessionally critical of McMahon, have at it and make your case.

Mickey Harte was obviously concerned.