Dublin v Mayo 4th March

Started by Farrandeelin, February 28, 2017, 03:44:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

God be with the days when you'd look forward to the midfield battle between the likes of McDermott, Buckley, Tohill, Whelan, O'Sé, Walsh etc.
I'll never forget McGuinness & McDermott destroying the Tyrone pairing in the '96 semi-final.
There's a definite correlation between the demise of the old school midfielder and the general reduction in the level of manliness in football.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Jinxy on March 09, 2017, 11:43:39 PM
God be with the days when you'd look forward to the midfield battle between the likes of McDermott, Buckley, Tohill, Whelan, O'Sé, Walsh etc.
I'll never forget McGuinness & McDermott destroying the Tyrone pairing in the '96 semi-final.
There's a definite correlation between the demise of the old school midfielder and the general reduction in the level of manliness in football.

You're an awful gurrier at times, but thanks a million all the same, we couldn't have done it without you! :P ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

heffo

We all know where to point that finger

heffo

Quote from: Syferus on March 09, 2017, 10:46:56 PM
The value of midfielders in the modern era is vastly overrated. There's a reason people struggle to name one top class one playing the game right now. And please keep away from the MDMA and Fenton stuff. The later is a good young player. That's it.

You must either be on the windup or don't watch Football. Look at the All Ireland Series the last two years and Fenton has been among the most influential players in those games.

vallankumous

Quote from: heffo on March 10, 2017, 08:45:46 AM

You must either be on the windup or don't watch Football. Look at the All Ireland Series the last two years and Fenton has been among the most influential players in those games.

And MDMC before that.

Jinxy

Quote from: heffo on March 10, 2017, 08:41:46 AM

Yeah.
UP.

omagh_gael

Quote from: Jinxy on March 10, 2017, 10:26:38 AM
Quote from: heffo on March 10, 2017, 08:41:46 AM

Yeah.
UP.

How about pointing that finger at yourselves? If a county wants to change it fortunes it adapts and works harder.

Always healthier to have an internal locus of control rather than external. Chin up, old chap!

mayoaremagic

The Meath lads certainly put down a stamp in that game that they weren't to be messed with.

mayoaremagic

Quote from: rosnarun on March 09, 2017, 03:21:01 PM
Quote from: blast05 on March 09, 2017, 03:03:53 PM
Aidan is at his most effective when he wins the ball 40-50m from goal at pace, i.e.: moving on to the ball, not standing 50:50 competing for it) and ideally not having to do a 180 degree turn to face goal, i.e.: winning it by running across the pitch so that he only has to make a 90 degree turn.
Yes, i am thinking of his role in Leeroys goal in the replay. He is a force of nature when powering towards the opponents goal at pace and then ideally with a charging half back or forward on his shoulder.

agreed which is why he should never be played full forward.
hes probably the best midfielder in the country and is only played away from there because management think may are well covered there  with Seamie . barry moran ,vaughan gibbons etc.
i would leave him in midfield with gibbons and push seamie forward

The best midfielder in last 25 years. The best midfielder not to have a AI medal

mayoaremagic

The value of midfielders in the modern era is vastly overrated. There's a reason people struggle to name one top class one playing the game right now. And please keep away from the MDMA and Fenton stuff. The later is a good young player. That's it.

Them lads wouldnt be in the same league as Seamie O'Neill and Cathal Shine

Jinxy

The Ulster teams (excluding Derry, Down, Cavan, Monaghan, Donegal, Armagh, Fermanagh & Antrim) realised they did not have the genetic material to create an elite 6'4" midfielder, so after several unsuccessful attempts to entice Meath people to breed with them, they decided to destroy the fabric of the game itself instead.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Whereas the Leinster teams (excluding Carlow, Dublin, Kildare, Kilkenny, Laois, Longford, Louth, Offaly, Westmeath, Wexford, and Wicklow) realised that if you couldn't beat a team, then you just beat them...

But we're not bitter, in fact we're ever so grateful, especially as we gaze down the recent roll of honour (and divisions) :)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Brapbrap

Quote from: Syferus on March 08, 2017, 10:58:06 PM
In fairness one team has the likes of Conor McHugh and Cormac Costello on the bench, whereas the other has Conor O'Shea and David Drake..

Why are you comparing David Drake to corner forwards? Disturbing issues with Ballaghaderreen people. Did he shift the girl you were chasing in Nathy's?

Il Bomber Destro

What is clear is that you have a very poor understanding of the game.

mayoaremagic

Haven't commented here since Saturday night (drank way to much and wasnt right till monday).. anyways in that time l see we have had everything from get the O'Sheas back to bringing James Horan back as a consultant. I said here last week that Dublin were coming off two tuff games against Nordie teams compared with us bating a piss poor Rossi team. I didn't envisage that we would get that kind of a hammering.. but Dublin were really up for this and they see us as their greatest threat so they went all out. Everyone was surprised by the way we folded to the point that some Dublin supporters were asking me afterwards did we do it on purpose... ahhh no.. we just had a complete mare.. it can happen. In the overall scheme of things I don't think this will matter much but I do agree that we have to start learning fast. Watching Mayo following around after Dublin all night long like headless chickens is getting a bit tiring.. you,d wonder can any of them not read the game as it's unfolding before them. Management tactics clearly didn't work but you could say the players execution of them didnt work very well either. So loads to be learnt and a big restorative performance needed against Cavan... you never know we might not meet Dublin again this year.. they could be beaten by Tyrone.