Started by Farrandeelin, February 28, 2017, 03:44:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Tubberman on March 05, 2017, 08:54:39 PM
Quote from: Hill16 Blues on March 05, 2017, 08:19:09 PM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on March 05, 2017, 08:09:07 PM
Did O'Connor get a card for this?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WJJD9Cqkv9k

Not a chance did he get a card. The sly coward that he is is at that sh1te every game. Hopefully some day he gets what should be coming to him.

Any comment on this??

https://twitter.com/edmcgreal/status/838367187127660544?s=09

Jaysus that's shocking. The more times you look at it the worse it seems. He hits him an awful clatter, and a long time after the ball was gone.
Why does he come running out with his hands up like that anyway? Seems like a real unnatural position considering Regan was carrying the ball low and used an underhand pass.
It's not momentum, either. He seems to stop and then strike afterwards. when he turns around, his feet are in the same spot.

Ref seemed to be facing it, but was obviously following the ball so mustn't have seen it.
Hasta la victoria siempre

mayoaremagic

Ive attended 90% of the games between the two teams over the last 10 years. Its not just online. At yesterdays game i heard everything and anything mayo related being lambasted from lots of different dublin fans, and with such ferocity, while getting no response from opposing mayo fans. Be it enda kenny (?), inbreds, thick ignorant culchies, and more nasty personalised type stuff that i couldnt post. This was from start to finish...
It doesnt make me angry, it more makes me sad, even confused as to why this attitude is so prevalent. There just seems to be a distinct lack of respect, sportsmanship and decency there.

dublin7

Quote from: mayoaremagic on March 06, 2017, 11:18:47 AM
Ive attended 90% of the games between the two teams over the last 10 years. Its not just online. At yesterdays game i heard everything and anything mayo related being lambasted from lots of different dublin fans, and with such ferocity, while getting no response from opposing mayo fans. Be it enda kenny (?), inbreds, thick ignorant culchies, and more nasty personalised type stuff that i couldnt post. This was from start to finish...
It doesnt make me angry, it more makes me sad, even confused as to why this attitude is so prevalent. There just seems to be a distinct lack of respect, sportsmanship and decency there.

Yadda, Yadda, yadda. As a dublin fan I've heard all sorts of abuse thrown at the team from opposing counties down the years.  Some of the racist abuse given to Jason Sherlock in particular were low moments.  Every county has fans who fire abuse at opposition teams, not just the dubs. 

mayoaremagic

Quote from: dublin7 on March 06, 2017, 02:18:51 PM
Quote from: mayoaremagic on March 06, 2017, 11:18:47 AM

Yadda, Yadda, yadda. As a dublin fan I've heard all sorts of abuse thrown at the team from opposing counties down the years.  Some of the racist abuse given to Jason Sherlock in particular were low moments.  Every county has fans who fire abuse at opposition teams, not just the dubs.

The stewards could hear it the same as everyone else. The reality is Im not asking why these people were not reprimanded, Im more trying to work out why this attitude is prevalent in the first place. This is a medium to discuss it with people of both sides, therefore it is a good a place as any.

As for mayo people sending tirades at O'Gara or Rock or whoever, that isn't acceptable, but look a fair few dubs were giving out about C O'C's elbow too, I understand that kind of thing to a degree. That is more people getting worked up over the game. Are people suggesting that that is the same as mayo kicking a run of the mill point when the game was over and the inhabitants of the county being labelled inbred, stupid and those are the ones I can print. That simply isn't the same thing. Im no shrinking violet, but this stuff was simply disgraceful and is far beyond any friendly rivalry.

I suppose it is in line with this 'thick ignorant culchie' idea that many dubs seem to give weight to. Have you ever stopped to consider how insulting that sort of attitude is to those people? Why do you think less of people simply because they are from outside Dublin?

As for the person who stated I must be attracting this stuff, I never interacted in any way and personally I find it depressing that people automatically try to blame everyone and anyone else to justify something like that.

Unlaoised

Just give Dublin the sam now save us a lot of bother,time and money...

As long as the Gravy train stays the same way then it's going to be maybe 10-15 in a row for them.

Fair play to them not their fault they get all the money and in fairness they are taking it too a new level!
LAOIS ABÚ

magpie seanie

I enjoyed this game Saturday night. Like many others I thought Mayo would nick this one but Dublin really upped their game and in the end won quite comfortably. They rightly identified and nullified Mayo's two routes to scores - (a) Andy Moran's ball winning and workrate and (b) frees from Cillian O'Connor. The other main way Mayo get scores is running from the HB line but they weren't at full strength there and Dublin destroyed them in the middle third. Brian Fenton just gets better and batter - he's scary good. MDMA looks like he's back to close to his best and that's important for Dublin. I also think Niall Scully is exceptional - the number of times he held ball under pressure in slippy conditions was eye catching. I think a serious challenger to be a starter come championship. A mate of mine is involved in St Peregrines (I think one of their founders may have been a Sligo man - they wear black and white don't they?) so I always look out for Eric Lowndes. He was iffy early on....took wrong options and lost ball but his first half point settled him and he did well thereafter. Decent player to have around but going to be hard to make the team.

For Mayo I like what Regan can bring but we'll only see the best of him on a dry day I think. I'd be alarmed at how poor Donnacha O'Connor was.....maybe he needs a bit of a break, crucial player for them. Thought Keegan in the FB line marking O'Gara was daft but I must say he doesn't look to be in tip top condition. Aidan and Seamus O'Shea are big, strong lads but the personnel coming back are not going to be enough on their own. Mayo need to develop ways of getting scores easier. I would expect Mayo will improve and be up to speed for August but there's little evidence of improvement or tactical changes. That may be difficult to see just yet in any event.

Fuzzman

It would be the first time Sam was won in March, Unlaoised?

Re the Dubs fans being very aggressive and dishing out personal abuse, I think this come with the territory of being winning everything and not liking it when teams come and put it up to you.
If you compare it to Kerry fans and for years if you beat them in a once off they will be gracious and say well done etc but if you don't show them respect like a lot of the Ulster teams have learnt to do then it's a different story.
I wasn't down at the game myself but I believe that qualifer game in Killarney a few years back was disgraceful. The Kerry fans were baying for blood and shouting all sorts of stuff at the Tyrone ones.

I've noticed the same at Dublin matches where it's a bit tight that the fans become uneasy and start mouthing off. A lot of them are used to getting easy games I suppose and nobody getting in their faces and putting them off their game so when someone does that you got to expect their fans to react. Now like someone said there are loads of decent Dub fans as well but with their sheer numbers and I've noticed especially on the hill, some of what is said is disgraceful and they just lack respect for other people in general and not just people from the country.
Sure they give Kerry fans the same antics and I've even heard good decent friends of mine get a bit out of control when they are worried about losing. Some call it passion and some call it lack of control. I've heard plenty of Tyrone fans not exactly impress me with what they shout at games.

Farrandeelin

Wasn't at the game so I can't comment on who said what to each other in the stand, but I don't think Dublin fans were unimpressed with what they saw and if they werr shouting abuse at Mayo fans around them, then why would this happen? Btw, I've been at 90% of games between the 2 counties as well but I've never heard too much mouthing from anyone. Maybe I focus too much on the game!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 06, 2017, 03:59:11 PM
Wasn't at the game so I can't comment on who said what to each other in the stand, but I don't think Dublin fans were unimpressed with what they saw and if they werr shouting abuse at Mayo fans around them, then why would this happen? Btw, I've been at 90% of games between the 2 counties as well but I've never heard too much mouthing from anyone. Maybe I focus too much on the game!

Have seen hardcore abuse being reigned down on the Cusack stand from the top corner of the hill.Lads getting over excited and losing the run of themselves. I was among the most gracious and knowledgeable Dubs in the Nally stand for the 2013 final. So you can't paint everybody with the same brush. There are good and bad in every walk of life.

rosnarun

a lot of shouting and goading from the Dublin fams showing their Soccer roots with their choice of song.
but they have a right to sing when they are on Top itll be just all the sweeter when they loose.
remember when they started the 'Rare auld times' when about 7 points up in 06  .
Quietening that is one of my Favorite croke park moments
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Blowitupref

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 06, 2017, 03:16:28 PM

For Mayo I like what Regan can bring but we'll only see the best of him on a dry day I think. I'd be alarmed at how poor Donnacha O'Connor was.....maybe he needs a bit of a break, crucial player for them
Not sure does Regan bring much more than Conroy or Varley have brought in the past. Douglas deserves a extended run in the side to see what he can bring at senior county level.

Donnacha O Connor is a mid 30 year old Cork footballer. The problem with Diarmuid O Connor is expectations are too high about him now. The crucial players for Mayo Cillan O Connor,Andy Moran,Keith Higgins,Colm Boyle,Lee Keegan all played Saturday night and if Rochford is not aiming to reach the NFL final I think those 5 players should be rested before the championship.

Anyway that trimming Mayo received on Saturday night could go one of two ways a) the beginning of the end of this consistently competitive Mayo panel or B) could well be a blessing in disguise for them.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Hound

Feck sake lads, you should notice a wind up when you see it. Look at the post count - an account set up and first thing they do is this.

QuoteIve attended 90% of the games between the two teams over the last 10 years. Its not just online. At yesterdays game i heard everything and anything mayo related being lambasted from lots of different dublin fans, and with such ferocity, while getting no response from opposing mayo fans. Be it enda kenny (?), inbreds, thick ignorant culchies, and more nasty personalised type stuff that i couldnt post. This was from start to finish...

So in a game that Dublin won fairly easily, you had "lots of different dublin fans" "with such ferocity" "from start to finish" and "no response from mayo fans". Get a grip. Its utter lies.

Hound

I enjoyed this game Saturday night. Like many others I thought Mayo would nick this one but Dublin really upped their game and in the end won quite comfortably. They rightly identified and nullified Mayo's two routes to scores - (a) Andy Moran's ball winning and workrate and (b) frees from Cillian O'Connor. The other main way Mayo get scores is running from the HB line but they weren't at full strength there and Dublin destroyed them in the middle third. Brian Fenton just gets better and batter - he's scary good. MDMA looks like he's back to close to his best and that's important for Dublin. I also think Niall Scully is exceptional - the number of times he held ball under pressure in slippy conditions was eye catching. I think a serious challenger to be a starter come championship. A mate of mine is involved in St Peregrines (I think one of their founders may have been a Sligo man - they wear black and white don't they?) so I always look out for Eric Lowndes. He was iffy early on....took wrong options and lost ball but his first half point settled him and he did well thereafter. Decent player to have around but going to be hard to make the team.

For Mayo I like what Regan can bring but we'll only see the best of him on a dry day I think. I'd be alarmed at how poor Donnacha O'Connor was.....maybe he needs a bit of a break, crucial player for them. Thought Keegan in the FB line marking O'Gara was daft but I must say he doesn't look to be in tip top condition. Aidan and Seamus O'Shea are big, strong lads but the personnel coming back are not going to be enough on their own. Mayo need to develop ways of getting scores easier. I would expect Mayo will improve and be up to speed for August but there's little evidence of improvement or tactical changes. That may be difficult to see just yet in any event.

Agree re Lowndes. Not a great start, but ended up being his best game for Dublin.
St Peregrines wear black and white because they are the Penguins.
Just a coincidence that they were founded by a Sligo man  :D
(Castleknock wear the Tipp jersey because they were founded (and bankrolled) by a Tipp man. Not sure if there are other clubs with a similar story.)

Keegan's play was just baffling. Why put him on our least dangerous player, so he has zero impact on the game?
I thought he looked over-weight too, which doesnt make much sense given he's being going hard with Westport. But if you want to mind him or hide him, just leave him at home. If short of numbers in the full back line, then playing against O'Gara would be an ideal game to thrown someone new in at

Almost felt sorry for Colm Boyle, working his heart off trying to do the work of 2 or 3 men.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Blowitupref on March 06, 2017, 04:17:10 PM

For Mayo I like what Regan can bring but we'll only see the best of him on a dry day I think. I'd be alarmed at how poor Donnacha O'Connor was.....maybe he needs a bit of a break, crucial player for them
Not sure does Regan bring much more than Conroy or Varley have brought in the past. Douglas deserves a extended run in the side to see what he can bring at senior county level.

Donnacha O Connor is a mid 30 year old Cork footballer. The problem with Diarmuid O Connor is expectations are too high about him now. The crucial players for Mayo Cillan O Connor,Andy Moran,Keith Higgins,Colm Boyle,Lee Keegan all played Saturday night and if Rochford is not aiming to reach the NFL final I think those 5 players should be rested before the championship.

Anyway that trimming Mayo received on Saturday night could go one of two ways a) the beginning of the end of this consistently competitive Mayo panel or B) could well be a blessing in disguise for them.

Mea culpa - Diarmuid is who I meant. Apologies.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Blowitupref on March 06, 2017, 04:17:10 PM

Can't see it being a blessing in disguise. Dublin are to Mayo right now as Mayo are to Ros. Even if the teo counties meet in September which is highly unlikely, there's no way I could see Mayo beating them. Unfortunately l.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.