All Ireland U21 football championship 2017

Started by Captain Obvious, February 21, 2017, 12:07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sligoman2

Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 23, 2017, 02:40:10 PM
Not sure what players get up to in their private time has to do with this thread ballinaman.

Not a surprise to see Sligo win last night I called it months ago eventhough Syferus disagreed giving the final kiss of death. Like the seniors Roscommon had many of their better players watching this game instead of playing it. Yes injury prevented plenty from playing but others opted out or bizarrely weren't given starts or even named on the 24.

Well done Sligo on reaching the final I'd say that was their target at the beginning of the year. Next they face All Ireland contender and if it's Mayo they will be full strength and fully focused unlike the North west cup and Galway on the other hand beat Sligo comfortably at minor level 3 years ago and gave them a trimming in the 2015 minor final.

I think the "trimming" you refer to was in a replay which means the first game was a draw....  so maybe not as big a difference as you think.

Delighted with the result yesterday, last u21 game we played in Kiltoon we got bet by about 30 points, which was 2 years ago.

No illusions as to the magnitude of the task against either Mayo or Galway.  Anyone know who has home advantage in the various scenarios?
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: sligoman2 on March 23, 2017, 02:54:39 PM

I think the "trimming" you refer to was in a replay which means the first game was a draw....  so maybe not as big a difference as you think.
A draw isn't much use if you get a trimming in the replay. Roscommon seniors last July a prime example.

ballinaman

Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 23, 2017, 02:40:10 PM
Not sure what players get up to in their private time has to do with this thread ballinaman.

Challenge match and team bonding weekend they were on, Sounds like county duty to me.

ballinaman

Manager Mike Solan has named a number of last years U21 winning team in his starting team for Saturday. Matthew Flanagan, Eoin O'Donoghue, Shairoze Akram, Matthew Ruane & Jame Kelly all started the 2016 final win over Cork while James Carr came off the bench.

Throw in at Tuam Stadium  is 5pm.
1. Matthew Flanagan (Balla)
2. Stephen Brennan (Claremorris)
3. Eoin O Donoghue (Belmullet)
4. Sean Conlon (Castlebar Mitchels)
5. Marcus Park (Knockmore)
6. Dylan Cannon (Breaffy)
7. Shairoze Akram (Ballaghaderreen)
8. Matthew Ruane (Breaffy)
9. Mikey Murray (Ballina Stephenites)
10. James McCormack (Claremorris)
11. Gerry Canavan (Mayo Gaels)
12. James Kelly (Belmullet)
13. James Lyons (Aghamore)
14. Brian Reape (Bohola Moy Davitts, Captain)
15. James Carr (Ardagh)

GalwayBayBoy

Galway team to play Mayo in the Connacht U-21 semi-final on Saturday

1. Ronán Ó Beoláin (Mícheál Breathnach)
2. Liam Kelly (An Spidéal)
3. Séan Andy Ó Ceallaigh (Naomh Anna, Leitir Móir)
4. Rory Greene (Killannin)
5. Kieran Molloy (Corofin)
6. Dylan McHugh (Corofin)
7. Cillian McDaid (Monivea-Abbey)
8. Peter Cooke (Maigh Cuilinn)
9. Colm Ó Braonain (Oileáin Árann)
10. Antaine Ó Laoi (An Spidéal)
11. Micheal Daly - Capt. (Mountbellew/Moylough)
12. Colin Brady (Corofin)
13. Robert Finnerty (Salthill/Knocknacarra)
14. Paul Mannion (Kilconly)
15. Dessie Conneely (Maigh Cuilinn)

magpie seanie

Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 23, 2017, 03:35:01 PM
Quote from: sligoman2 on March 23, 2017, 02:54:39 PM

A draw isn't much use if you get a trimming in the replay. Roscommon seniors last July a prime example.

True but we were much the better team the first day but didn't get over the line. Second day was a disaster but I wouldn't say we're a million miles off.

Lone Shark

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 23, 2017, 10:36:57 PM

A serious amount of west Galway in that team. Is this a one off, or is this a trend that's likely to continue for a few years? I remember covering their minors against Laois last year and it was something similar.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Lone Shark on March 25, 2017, 01:34:15 AM

A serious amount of west Galway in that team. Is this a one off, or is this a trend that's likely to continue for a few years? I remember covering their minors against Laois last year and it was something similar.

Pretty much been a common trend over the last 5 or more years I'd say. Lot more players coming through the west board clubs compared to the past. 9 on this team which would be unusually high but there's been a definite swing away from the north. At underage at least.

Of course though not all west clubs are Gaeltacht clubs. The city clubs (and environs) play in the west board so it's often Gaeltacht v Galway city clubs.

Lone Shark

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 25, 2017, 03:22:09 AM

Pretty much been a common trend over the last 5 or more years I'd say. Lot more players coming through the west board clubs compared to the past. 9 on this team which would be unusually high but there's been a definite swing away from the north. At underage at least.

Of course though not all west clubs are Gaeltacht clubs. The city clubs (and environs) play in the west board so it's often Gaeltacht v Galway city clubs.

Don't I know - played a small handful of games for Fr Griffins/Éire Óg a few years ago when I was living in the city, well aware of the regular treks out to the sticks that come with the territory there!

Cunny Funt

Couldn't ask for better weather for a Connacht semi final in March. Galway minors beat Mayo by 4 points in the opening game.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: Lone Shark on March 25, 2017, 03:30:17 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 25, 2017, 03:22:09 AM

Don't I know - played a small handful of games for Fr Griffins/Éire Óg a few years ago when I was living in the city, well aware of the regular treks out to the sticks that come with the territory there!
Nothing wrong with seeing a bit of the world while your young LS!! 😜

maigheo

Galway 0.05 Mayo 0.02  13 min gone .Galway dominating midfield

Blowitupref

8-2 to Galway. A mayo goal against run of play 0-8 to 1-2 now
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

maigheo

0.09 to 1.04. 2 min. to HT.Paul Mannion the star so far at FF

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose