Rhubarbs v Stealers

Started by giveballaghback, February 12, 2017, 11:25:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joemamas

Quote from: criostlinn on February 25, 2017, 10:05:21 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on February 25, 2017, 09:26:05 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on February 25, 2017, 08:43:42 PM
We're giving up some amount of goal chances. The Dubs will tear us apart if we do the same next week. We don't seem to be playing as deep a sweeper as last year.

Rossies with zero points and a score difference of -15 already with Dublin and Kerry still to play are deep in the mire.

Bad and all as Roscommon were tonight, they still managed to get more scores 0-14 than they did in either of their previous two games [10 scores against Tyrone  (1-9), 11 against Donegal (2-9)] When you look at the number of goal chances Mayo have given up between the Kerry game and the Roscommon game, it's hard not to see it as a systemic issue.

Also while Mayo did score 1-19, they also had 15 wides which given Roscommon conceded 0-18 to Tyrone and 0-16 to Donegal, isn't anything to get too excited about.

Brilliant stuff. Clear concise analysis. Its stuff like this that makes this board the go to forum for any serious GAA follower.

Very good factual report.

Throw in that Mayo missed four goals in the second half, cannot fault COC, he was a bit off balance, but we fluffed three other one on ones with goalie FFS. In addition, we had multiple two on ones and even one three on one which Conor o Shea made a mess of.

All told we are really inept from 9-15 and throw in sub forwards also, don't want to seem like a Debbie downer but facts don't like. We came up against a team tonight that are in disarray, with no midfield and had their other midfielder get a black.

Kerry or Tyrone or Dublin would have score no less than 4-23 tonight against that opposition such was our dominance in backs and midfield. Our forward play is brutal, so in essence it is same o same o.

I made a pint on another thread a few weeks or a month ago about our poor forward coaching at under age level and the lack of natural forwards bar COC that have come through from minor ranks over past seven years.i am afraid when you see the events of the second half tonight it drives that point home.

Good news we most likely will stay in Division one.

weareros

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on February 26, 2017, 12:01:32 AM
who is mcstay starting the JE didn't?  who is not county standard maybe we should bring back Nally.

the 2 dalys left mid year last year. niall walked because he was dropped. they might have physical strenght but too soft to fight for their place.

They are not too soft. They played with distinction for Roscommon across all grades. Players will go out and die for a good manager. We don't have that in Roscommon right now. And I see you are going with the line McStay told the media. There's a player in the half back line with no pace they are all a hundred times better than. Enough said.

PadraicHenryPearse

Quote from: weareros on February 26, 2017, 12:17:21 AM
Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on February 26, 2017, 12:01:32 AM
who is mcstay starting the JE didn't?  who is not county standard maybe we should bring back Nally.

the 2 dalys left mid year last year. niall walked because he was dropped. they might have physical strenght but too soft to fight for their place.

They are not too soft. They played with distinction for Roscommon across all grades. Players will go out and die for a good manager. We don't have that in Roscommon right now. And I see you are going with the line McStay told the media. There's a player in the half back line with no pace they are all a hundred times better than. Enough said.

soft probably not the right word. niall had no issue being there when played but once dropped left the panel. conor and ronan chose America over playing for their county.

I have no problem with them doing that but they should not be used as a stick to beat mcstay with.

it's what mcstay said and what I heard from my sources. I haven't heard niall version until I do I can only go with the information available.

no good being better when you aren't around to play. Shine is another player with bags of talent who chose not get into shape for inter county. again it's his choice but used as a stick to beat mcstay with.

From the Bunker

Been a while since we dominated anybody like that in the League. In the League Mayo are usually muck and at best are average. In fairness we were average today, But Roscommon were muck. Anyway, I would not panic if I were a Rossie. Mayo have had their fair share of stinkers the last couple of years in the League. It's all about the Summer. League form is only window dressing.

On the game itself. Mayo mixed the good with the bad. Despite the Rossies being flat we still found out a bit about a player or two. It was great to see a game to watch without sweepers. But it looked naive (on both sides). Kinda reminded me of Mayo Kerry games circa 2004/2006.  Just like Kerry in those games, Mayo accepted gratefully the Rossies kind gesture.

Boyles, black was justified and could easily have been a red.

Onward to Croker for a different assignment.

moysider

Quote from: joemamas on February 26, 2017, 12:15:42 AM
Quote from: criostlinn on February 25, 2017, 10:05:21 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on February 25, 2017, 09:26:05 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on February 25, 2017, 08:43:42 PM
We're giving up some amount of goal chances. The Dubs will tear us apart if we do the same next week. We don't seem to be playing as deep a sweeper as last year.

Rossies with zero points and a score difference of -15 already with Dublin and Kerry still to play are deep in the mire.

Bad and all as Roscommon were tonight, they still managed to get more scores 0-14 than they did in either of their previous two games [10 scores against Tyrone  (1-9), 11 against Donegal (2-9)] When you look at the number of goal chances Mayo have given up between the Kerry game and the Roscommon game, it's hard not to see it as a systemic issue.

Also while Mayo did score 1-19, they also had 15 wides which given Roscommon conceded 0-18 to Tyrone and 0-16 to Donegal, isn't anything to get too excited about.

Brilliant stuff. Clear concise analysis. Its stuff like this that makes this board the go to forum for any serious GAA follower.

Very good factual report.

Throw in that Mayo missed four goals in the second half, cannot fault COC, he was a bit off balance, but we fluffed three other one on ones with goalie FFS. In addition, we had multiple two on ones and even one three on one which Conor o Shea made a mess of.

All told we are really inept from 9-15 and throw in sub forwards also, don't want to seem like a Debbie downer but facts don't like. We came up against a team tonight that are in disarray, with no midfield and had their other midfielder get a black.

Kerry or Tyrone or Dublin would have score no less than 4-23 tonight against that opposition such was our dominance in backs and midfield. Our forward play is brutal, so in essence it is same o same o.

I made a pint on another thread a few weeks or a month ago about our poor forward coaching at under age level and the lack of natural forwards bar COC that have come through from minor ranks over past seven years.i am afraid when you see the events of the second half tonight it drives that point home.

Good news we most likely will stay in Division one.

I wouldn't be as hard on the forwards. Frustrating alright that we weren't more clinical and remember thinking at the time that the situation young O Sé butchered would have been a walked in goal if it was Dublin or Kerry in that situation.
Not sure it comes down to underage coaching either. Some things can be coached but the quality needed at the highest level is rare. You either have those players emerge or they don't. I was very impressed with Boland tonight. Quick, can read a break, kick a score, makes good decisions on the ball. The awareness and execution of the pass to Cillian that he shanked was as good as you would see in any team. I thought Regan won a lot of hard ball and while he shot a few wides he was doing the right things. Also won a penalty and a free and laid off a few passes to others - something that the more established players didn't do. Irwin, in the 4 minutes he got could have finished with 2 goals if he had been given relatively easy ball when he was in great positions.
I dunno. I think the quality is there. It is up to this management to get decision making sorted.

GalwayBayBoy

Now I'm not au fait with the inner workings of Rossie football but is it not a bit odd that there seems to be a huge turnover in playing squad from last to this year?

Granted some are just unavailable like Neil Collins but it seems like a fairly drastic squad readjustment.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on February 26, 2017, 02:49:08 AM
Now I'm not au fait with the inner workings of Rossie football but is it not a bit odd that there seems to be a huge turnover in playing squad from last to this year?

Granted some are just unavailable like Neil Collins but it seems like a fairly drastic squad readjustment.

Syf will be along shortly saying that nnone of these young Ros players lost a game at underage to Mayo. That gotta mean something right?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Farrandeelin on February 26, 2017, 09:03:47 AM

Syf will be along shortly saying that nnone of these young Ros players lost a game at underage to Mayo. That gotta mean something right?
It sure does. It means Syf has forgotten to take the tablets again and his paranoia about all things Mayo is getting worse by the day. :D
With regard to Rossie underage players failing to come good at senior level, it's something I've brought up  a number of times before. Nobody, then or now, seems able to come up with an answer. Their u21 sides were consistently better than those of the other counties yet feck all seems to come good at senior level. I know Syf will blather away about X, Y or Z showing promise but they never seem to be able to deliver.
It can't be the individual players' fault so there must be something not quite right with their development structure.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Rossfan

Our players now seem to be in the same poor condition as the same stage in 2012.
Frightening.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

PadraicHenryPearse

Quote from: Rossfan on February 26, 2017, 01:05:14 PM
Our players now seem to be in the same poor condition as the same stage in 2012.
Frightening.

is that the last time we beat someone of note (d2 or above) in the championship? Armagh? or do we count Cavan in 2014/2015

moysider

Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 26, 2017, 09:29:29 AM

It sure does. It means Syf has forgotten to take the tablets again and his paranoia about all things Mayo is getting worse by the day. :D
With regard to Rossie underage players failing to come good at senior level, it's something I've brought up  a number of times before. Nobody, then or now, seems able to come up with an answer. Their u21 sides were consistently better than those of the other counties yet feck all seems to come good at senior level. I know Syf will blather away about X, Y or Z showing promise but they never seem to be able to deliver.
It can't be the individual players' fault so there must be something not quite right with their development structure.

Maybe too much weight is given to a bit of underage success. Maybe their development structure are getting the most out of what they have at underage. Iirc Fergal Boland didn't make a minor team here or opted out for some reason or other?

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 26, 2017, 09:29:29 AM

Underage players thrown into the senior team and expected to lead from the front. If you want to get best out of your underage players you need seasoned and experienced players around them to guide them along.

Even average div 3 teams have some structure to their defence Roscommon under McStay don't seem to have any and while syf makes the claim they have a stronger 15 now than 3 years ago I think there is at least 4 or 5 starters (won't name them) that wouldnt get a start on the best club teams in Roscommon.

whitey

Just watched it back on youtube....some great accurate  foot-passing by Mayo

Rossfan

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on February 26, 2017, 01:10:40 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on February 26, 2017, 01:05:14 PM
Frightening.

is that the last time we beat someone of note (d2 or above) in the championship? Armagh? or do we count Cavan in 2014/2015
Armagh were rubbish that year.
Galway embarrassed us so badly they became favourites for the AI .
Then Sligo gave them a 5 point start in Salthill and bet them soundly.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Maroon Manc

That was a worrying performance from Roscommon, beaten before they came out of the dressing room.