Dublin v Tyrone. 11/02/17. Croke Park, Dublin.

Started by omagh_gael, February 06, 2017, 12:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Take the blinkers off. The sight of 14 white shirts filtering back behind the ball is obviously going to turn the game into a negative low scoring spectacle but as a neutral, no, I flicked between the 2 matches and ended up settling on Kerry v Mayo. If I had enjoyed it that much I don't think I would have been switching it over.

Incidentally Spillane wrote Mayo off for the season just 6 days ago after losing a div 1 league game in February with half a team. Wonder will he be doing likewise with Kerry now.

Sheedy

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 11, 2017, 08:27:57 PM
If people can't appreciate the level of intensity and effort in this game, in shitty conditions in February, when one team is trying to end another's 30 game unbeaten run then I really don't know why you bother watching competitive sport at all.
agreed. i enjoyed it, especially the 2nd half. 2 top teams giving everything in terrible conditions.
nil satis nisi optimum

Il Bomber Destro

RedHandTom

Tyrone got exactly what they needed from that game. Very good result and performance.

From the Bunker

Quote from: yellowcard on February 11, 2017, 08:44:10 PM
Take the blinkers off. The sight of 14 white shirts filtering back behind the ball is obviously going to turn the game into a negative low scoring spectacle but as a neutral, no, I flicked between the 2 matches and ended up settling on Kerry v Mayo. If I had enjoyed it that much I don't think I would have been switching it over.

Incidentally Spillane wrote Mayo off for the season just 6 days ago after losing a div 1 league game in February with half a team. Wonder will he be doing likewise with Kerry now.

Spillane did the same after Mayo were hammered by Cork in the opening round last year. He should know by now Mayo mix the very good with the very bad in the league. Their Championship form is not based on the League!

BennyHarp

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on February 11, 2017, 08:49:31 PM
Sludden was phenomenal tonight.

Class. Perfect man for the style of play. Breaking at pace with an end product! Great display by Tyrone, if we can just become a bit more clinical up front then we aren't far away!
That was never a square ball!!

blewuporstuffed

Sometimes I wonder what people want from games.
It may not have been high scoring but there was huge intensity to it and both teams giving it everything with some great individual performances.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

skeog

Great game whole hearted effort Niall Sludden is some machine. What did Mark Bradley do i thought it harsh.

highorlow

He will have excuses for Kerry, not for us.

He has Dublin V Kerry for the league final in his league preview in the paper.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

straightred

Quote from: skeog on February 11, 2017, 08:58:32 PM
Great game whole hearted effort Niall Sludden is some machine. What did Mark Bradley do i thought it harsh.

great scores from fenton and kilkeeny as well before rocks at the death. red seemed harsh but how in the name of god did colm cavanagh not get a black ? I thoroughly enjoyed the 2nd half. Dubs were poor but still didn't lose. You have to hand it to them.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 11, 2017, 08:55:00 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on February 11, 2017, 08:49:31 PM
Sludden was phenomenal tonight.

Class. Perfect man for the style of play. Breaking at pace with an end product! Great display by Tyrone, if we can just become a bit more clinical up front then we aren't far away!

He's like a hot knife cutting through butter. Some balance to him.

BennyHarp

Quote from: straightred on February 11, 2017, 09:01:33 PM
Quote from: skeog on February 11, 2017, 08:58:32 PM

great scores from fenton and kilkeeny as well before rocks at the death. red seemed harsh but how in the name of god did colm cavanagh not get a black ? I thoroughly enjoyed the 2nd half. Dubs were poor but still didn't lose. You have to hand it to them.

Usual oul craic with refs. Already given a black and red card and there was no chance he was giving another. Still don't know why Bradley got a straight red.
That was never a square ball!!

T Fearon

Far cry from the 80,000 attendance at the corresponding fixture 10 years ago.People getting pissed off with robotic football and blanket defences

screenexile

Quote from: Main Street on February 11, 2017, 08:24:31 PM
From what we were shown in the slo mo replay, Bradley's barge into Cooper looked hard enough but well within the run of mill innocuous category, not worthy of notice.

There was some relief from this spectacle, with the 10 seconds from Tralee.

They had talked about there being a wrestling match between the 2 lads there had to be more went on than we saw.

yellowcard

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on February 11, 2017, 08:55:47 PM
Sometimes I wonder what people want from games.
It may not have been high scoring but there was huge intensity to it and both teams giving it everything with some great individual performances.

The same could be said for 6 nations matches, I suppose different people enjoy different styles of game. I'd much prefer to see a kicking game with bodies ahead of the ball, Tyrone are becoming the new Donegal. I can understand why Harte is doing it as he has not got the inside forwards to play a more attractive game. All his best players are strong running athletes in the middle third of the field.

Whether you like the style or not I think Tyrone showed enough tonight to say that they are contenders for the AI though I still think they lack something to actually win it.