Tyrone v Roscommon - Sunday 5th Feb 2017 2pm in Omagh

Started by Fuzzman, January 27, 2017, 12:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lenny

Quote from: Fuzzman on February 03, 2017, 12:21:22 PM
Dublin certainly were a lot more defensive last year than they were in other years but I still don't think they approach a game the way Donegal, Tyrone or Monaghan do.
I bet you on Sunday v Roscommon, Tyrone will play with 13 men back in their own half when they don't have the ball yet I think Dublin will only do that when they are closing a tight game out when they are ahead.

Do you not agree that Tyrone rarely kick the ball in long to it's full forward line, usually because they don't have anyone in there to win the ball. The tactics seem to be strip the ball from the other team around our own 40 and then break up the field at pace hand passing the ball until we get into a scoring position. This seems to have served us quite well for the most part but I was just saying it's quite similar to how rugby is played with the players attacking as a unit from our own half. I'm not saying that's a bad thing but I was just making the comparison.

Dublin have a lot better forwards that Tyrone have and that is why so many teams try to stop them with the blanket defence style game.

Quite often last year tyrone had 15 players inside their own 45m line. They were even more defensive than donegal at their worst. Dublin and kerry always keep a number of players right up the pitch.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: lenny on February 04, 2017, 10:16:51 PM
Dublin certainly were a lot more defensive last year than they were in other years but I still don't think they approach a game the way Donegal, Tyrone or Monaghan do.
I bet you on Sunday v Roscommon, Tyrone will play with 13 men back in their own half when they don't have the ball yet I think Dublin will only do that when they are closing a tight game out when they are ahead.

Do you not agree that Tyrone rarely kick the ball in long to it's full forward line, usually because they don't have anyone in there to win the ball. The tactics seem to be strip the ball from the other team around our own 40 and then break up the field at pace hand passing the ball until we get into a scoring position. This seems to have served us quite well for the most part but I was just saying it's quite similar to how rugby is played with the players attacking as a unit from our own half. I'm not saying that's a bad thing but I was just making the comparison.

Dublin have a lot better forwards that Tyrone have and that is why so many teams try to stop them with the blanket defence style game.

Quite often last year tyrone had 15 players inside their own 45m line. They were even more defensive than donegal at their worst. Dublin and kerry always keep a number of players right up the pitch.

Thanks for that, Comical Ali.

tyroneman

A lot depends how other teams set up too. When Derry left it one on one with RoN  the ball was pumped long into him for a goal. No mountain of hand passes there.

Rossfan

I believe Tyrone GAA people very happy with our squad staying overnight on their County.
Hope ye'll remember that on the pitch today and not go too hard on us.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ONeill

Roscommon team spotted playing pool in Sally's last night. Cut up rough apparently.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

omagh_gael

Quote from: ONeill on February 05, 2017, 10:47:24 AM
Roscommon team spotted playing pool in Sally's last night. Cut up rough apparently.

Impossible! That pool table was removed a fortnight ago as some Derrytresk hoor was caught having inappropriate relations with the pockets!

Beantown

Happy with the win today but overall it was a poor enough performance. Roscommon had a few chances for goals that a more clinical team would put away.  Thought Sludden McClure and Harte were the pick of the team.  At least 2 points are on the board! Roscommon may well struggle to stay up, they need to take the chances that come their way but a lot of teams are struggling for 2-3 good forwards.

On another note Omagh is some kip.

Rois

Fair enough result but won't be good enough against Dublin next Sat. Defence was cut right open at times and some sluggish play. Bradley and Cavanagh made immediate impressions when they came on, enough to put the game away.

Syferus

Quote from: Beantown on February 05, 2017, 05:52:05 PM
Happy with the win today but overall it was a poor enough performance. Roscommon had a few chances for goals that a more clinical team would put away.  Thought Sludden McClure and Harte were the pick of the team.  At least 2 points are on the board! Roscommon may well struggle to stay up, they need to take the chances that come their way but a lot of teams are struggling for 2-3 good forwards.

On another note Omagh is some kip.

The forwards have rarely been the problem for us.

Leaking 18 points and giving up needless frees is far more pressing.

Rois

Quote from: Syferus on February 05, 2017, 05:56:40 PM

Leaking 18 points and giving up needless frees is far more pressing.

You should have been right in it at the start of the second half but the frees kept the gap wide enough.

tyroneman

Lot of Roscommon scores came from really poor Tyrone play. As gas already been pointed out more clinical team could have had 3-4 goals against us. The mcCarron (I think) pass across the back line that went straight to the Ros forward springs to mind.

Meyler needs to get more clued in. Saw McCarron giving him a few instructions to that effect. Bags of potential in him though if he cut out the mistakes.

Sludden and McClure were very good, Sparky was excellent when he came on. Petey was, well, himself....a Rolls Royce.

Don't know how much Mattie going off affect things or if he will be available next week.

Sludden MoM for me.

RedHandTom

Quote from: tyroneman on February 05, 2017, 06:26:39 PM
Lot of Roscommon scores came from really poor Tyrone play. As gas already been pointed out more clinical team could have had 3-4 goals against us. The mcCarron (I think) pass across the back line that went straight to the Ros forward springs to mind.

Meyler needs to get more clued in. Saw McCarron giving him a few instructions to that effect. Bags of potential in him though if he cut out the mistakes.

Sludden and McClure were very good, Sparky was excellent when he came on. Petey was, well, himself....a Rolls Royce.

Don't know how much Mattie going off affect things or if he will be available next week.

Sludden MoM for me.

Sludden key man for us at the moment. Intelligent player.
Let's face it we beat an average side today who are likely to get relegated. To concede the way we did today is worrying a week out from Dublin game.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: tyroneman on February 05, 2017, 06:26:39 PM

Was it not Mc Namee who was the culprit there?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

omagh_gael

Pretty dull game overall, never really got going at all. Good to get two points on the board but that defensuve display, especially through the middle, will lead to catastrophe against the Dubs. Perhaps the kick up the arse and the game being in Croker will focus the mind.

Highlights for me:

Niall Sludden really developing into one of our most important player. Never appears to waste a ball and good for landing the points too.

Nobody mentioned this yet but I thought Mickey O'Neill was excellent, especially in 1st half. Made some very brave saves at the feet of Ros attackers and kickouts were on the money throughout.

Haven't been able to get to any live games before today but you tend to forget the amount of yards big Colly Cavanagh covers. He's a machine.  He also caught an outrageous Mark over his shoulder whilst falling backwards under the stand in 2nd half.

Mark Bradley was excellent when he came on, first two possessions resulted in two spectacular points. Has to start against the Dubs. Will be fascinating to see how he gets on.

Honorable mentions to Petey Harte and McClure, both were impressive.

For Roscommon I have to mention Donie Smith. Worked hard all game and scored some excellent points.  Great wee player.

Negatives

Don't like to pick on individual players but RoN and McCurry flatter to deceive. McCurry can be spectacular but there are too many days like today when 75% of his speculative efforts go wide.  He must have had 5 wides alone himself. RoN, played a very withdrawn role and didn't get into the game at all. Still guilty of missing frees that have to go over at this level. Those sort of gimmes will kill us later in the year.

As mentioned above, need to plug the gaps in the middle. Roscommon should have punished us more than they did.

Still playing with one man in FF line and at times no one inside the 45. For feck sake, have we learned nothing from last year! At times the break was on but the player in possession had to literally stop in his tracks and there was nobody in front of him!

Il Bomber Destro

6 is a bit of a problem position for us.

Think we are a lot more solid defensively there with Justy but I think legs could get him at some stage. Maybe Brennan needs an extended run there when he's back to fitness or possibly Frank Burns. Good to hear McClure had a solid outing.

How did McShane do at FF?