Smallest club or clubs in each county

Started by SCFC, January 21, 2017, 06:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 22, 2017, 03:55:06 AM
Tough question in Galway as there is the smallest football club and the smallest hurling club and they would be in completely different parts of the county.

In football Na Piarsaigh are from Rosmuc which has a population of about 450. Could be missing someone though.

In hurling not sure possibly Meelick-Eyrecourt on the border with Offaly who are actually one of the oldest GAA clubs in the country. Eyrecourt only has a population of 264. Think they have a tiny pick and might even have a fair few players from the Offaly side of the border. At least they did at one time.

Ballygar on the border with Roscommon has a population of about 640 I think. Glinsk football club also on the border with the Rossies must also have a very small population base encompassing the area of Creggs/Ballymoe.

Actually Glenamaddy only has a population of 516. Thought it would be more. Caltra must also have a very small population.

Feel like I'm missing someone obvious though.
Menlo Emmetts?
very small hurling club almost in the city

Glinsk are a small club

Owenmoresider

Cloonacool up here, a half parish of Tubbercurry heading towards the hills of the Ox Mountains and have lost manys a player to there over the years (that's Tubber, not the Oxs!). Still plugging away but it can't be easy.

Avondhu star

Quote from: Aaron Boone on January 21, 2017, 11:20:42 PM
St Jude's in Dublin probably the smallest, less than 100,000 nearby :-)
[/quote
Ha ha. Within two miles of Judes you have Templeogue Synge st, Boden St Endas, Thomas Davis, St Marks, St Annes, Ballyboden Wanderers, Ballinteer St Johns, St Kevins, Crumlin and Robert Emmets. But even with those clubs there is room for more and it just shows the potential in Dublin. In addition there is little travelling involved compared to teams in Cork Galway etc
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Heshs Umpire

Arles Kilcruise are a very small club in Laois and one of the better senior teams.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

armaghniac

Quote from: bennydorano on January 22, 2017, 08:20:46 AM
Not sure about Armagh as there are a lot of country clubs with Parish boundaries that I'd be unaware of. Somebody closer to the area would know better but Corrinshego has to be up there and is interesting if nothing else, as it is in the hinterland of Newry with it's large population but on Armagh side and always seems to be a struggle for survival.

Phelim Bradys wouldn't have a great pick.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

mouview

Tough question in Galway as there is the smallest football club and the smallest hurling club and they would be in completely different parts of the county.

In football Na Piarsaigh are from Rosmuc which has a population of about 450. Could be missing someone though.

In hurling not sure possibly Meelick-Eyrecourt on the border with Offaly who are actually one of the oldest GAA clubs in the country. Eyrecourt only has a population of 264. Think they have a tiny pick and might even have a fair few players from the Offaly side of the border. At least they did at one time.

Ballygar on the border with Roscommon has a population of about 640 I think. Glinsk football club also on the border with the Rossies must also have a very small population base encompassing the area of Creggs/Ballymoe.

Actually Glenamaddy only has a population of 516. Thought it would be more. Caltra must also have a very small population.

If the thread was to be rephrased 'Clubs who punch above their weight' , you could include Sarsfields (New Inn/Bullaun) and St. Thomas' (Peterswell/Kilchreest); both AI club winners in the past despite having a modest available selection population-wise.

Similarly Caltra in football. Cortoon (Shamrocks) are a half-parish of Tuam and have a small area to choose from but are one of the more consistent clubs in Galway football currently.

As someone mentioned, Menlo Emmets on the eastern edge of Galway city field I think only one club at Junior level; they would have a potentially large population available to them however.

mrhardyannual

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 21, 2017, 06:30:44 PM
Garrymore, Which is a half parish and been playing Senior Mayo football since the '70's?
Places in North Mayo would have much smaller populations, Ballycroy for example. Mayo Gaels in South Mayo would be smaller than Garry which can draw on players from Crossboyne Parish as well as Kilcommon. Garry often, historically, stretched across the border to pick up a few Galway lads like Noel Tierney. However nothing should detract from their tremendous achievements on the field and community spirit.

PW Nally

Lusmagh in Offaly of the Troy brothers & Joe Accchim Kelly fame only play out of 1 field.

LaurelEye

Forgney in Longford (population less than 400) but they haven't been able to field for the last two years.

Shroid don't really have a defined area (eastern rural end of Longford parish) and again are barely fielding teams for the last couple of years.

Moydow (who are in a temporary amalgamation with Ardagh) and Mullinalaghta would be the next smallest with around 450 each.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Avondhu star on January 22, 2017, 11:36:21 AM
Quote from: Aaron Boone on January 21, 2017, 11:20:42 PM
St Jude's in Dublin probably the smallest, less than 100,000 nearby :-)
[/quote
Ha ha. Within two miles of Judes you have Templeogue Synge st, Boden St Endas, Thomas Davis, St Marks, St Annes, Ballyboden Wanderers, Ballinteer St Johns, St Kevins, Crumlin and Robert Emmets. But even with those clubs there is room for more and it just shows the potential in Dublin. In addition there is little travelling involved compared to teams in Cork Galway etc

You forgot the club right next door. With a concerted effort those clubs could probably double their membership. Little travelling alright, but try traversing the city for an evening game...  :-X
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

haranguerer

Quote from: mouview on January 22, 2017, 08:36:01 PM

If the thread was to be rephrased 'Clubs who punch above their weight' , you could include Sarsfields (New Inn/Bullaun) and St. Thomas' (Peterswell/Kilchreest); both AI club winners in the past despite having a modest available selection population-wise.

Similarly Caltra in football. Cortoon (Shamrocks) are a half-parish of Tuam and have a small area to choose from but are one of the more consistent clubs in Galway football currently.

As someone mentioned, Menlo Emmets on the eastern edge of Galway city field I think only one club at Junior level; they would have a potentially large population available to them however.

Do the Aran Islands not have teams? Surely be up (down) there playing population wise?

general_lee

Dunno where to start with Armagh. Too many clubs for such a (geographically) small county, of which too many are small clubs. a few don't even field/exist(?) anymore. It's hard to keep track of all the amalgamations at underage these days as so many cant field by themselves

rosnarun

would Caltra not also include Ahascragh. mainly hurling but im sure theyd fill a gap.

I think Moygownagh home of Anthony finnerty and Patrick Holmes I think is the smallest in mayo. though I've never really figured out where
eastern gaels are  .
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

mouview

Quote from: rosnarun on January 23, 2017, 10:11:23 AM

would Caltra not also include Ahascragh. mainly hurling but im sure theyd fill a gap.

I think Moygownagh home of Anthony finnerty and Patrick Holmes I think is the smallest in mayo. though I've never really figured out where
eastern gaels are  .

It does, but again not a very large population.
As someone above mentioned, Aran Islands field a team at Intermediate level; majority of their players work on the mainland I believe.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: rosnarun on January 23, 2017, 10:11:23 AM
eastern gaels are  .
It's Brickens is it not? Pretty sure I passed by their pitch along the Ballyhaunis/Claremorris road before.