Outrageous direct debit demands on club team to pay manager

Started by MoChara, January 19, 2017, 10:34:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: screenexile on January 20, 2017, 12:13:56 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on January 20, 2017, 11:37:55 AM
This is widespread and has been for years. I was secretary and then chairman on my club around the early/mid '00's and was quoted figures in excess of that by prospective managers at the time. Again, something that the GAA should be intent on stamping out but are perfectly happy to allow fester. It seems to be that if you say you're amateur and you believe in the amateur ethos then it's ok to get paid. I also wonder what are the Revenue Commissioners doing in all of this? Is all this income being declared? However bad it is at club level can you just imagine what county team managers are getting.

If RC or HMRC have been told about ANY payment made to a GAA manager anywhere in the Country I'd be absolutely astounded.

There's no point denying it I'd say there's very few lads on here whose Club don't pay their manager in some shape or form. What amazes me is the constant stream of lads who have been hounded out of certain Clubs year after year and then end up joining a decent club the year after for money again. . . the mind boggles!

It's like the english premier league.
Once you've managed a couple of different teams, regardless of how poorly they do you've established yourself as a 'premier league' manager.
I've played under a few 'outside' men and I can tell you this, if one of our own clubmen had the same track record he wouldn't be long getting the bullet.
These lads always seem to be in demand though.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: shark on January 20, 2017, 12:18:00 PM
This is widespread and has been for years. I was secretary and then chairman on my club around the early/mid '00's and was quoted figures in excess of that by prospective managers at the time. Again, something that the GAA should be intent on stamping out but are perfectly happy to allow fester. It seems to be that if you say you're amateur and you believe in the amateur ethos then it's ok to get paid. I also wonder what are the Revenue Commissioners doing in all of this? Is all this income being declared? However bad it is at club level can you just imagine what county team managers are getting.

If RC or HMRC have been told about ANY payment made to a GAA manager anywhere in the Country I'd be absolutely astounded.

There's no point denying it I'd say there's very few lads on here whose Club don't pay their manager in some shape or form. What amazes me is the constant stream of lads who have been hounded out of certain Clubs year after year and then end up joining a decent club the year after for money again. . . the mind boggles!

I'm guessing somewhat, as my own club thankfully don't pay managers, but it is probably often the case that the club are not the ones paying the manager. A local, with a bit of spare cash, is 'sponsoring' it. The payment then stays off the clubs accounts. Also regarding revenue, could they get away with saying the money is a gift? The threshold for a non relative is €16k.

Is it not €3K a year that you can gift tax free?
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

shark

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on January 20, 2017, 03:09:34 PM

I'm guessing somewhat, as my own club thankfully don't pay managers, but it is probably often the case that the club are not the ones paying the manager. A local, with a bit of spare cash, is 'sponsoring' it. The payment then stays off the clubs accounts. Also regarding revenue, could they get away with saying the money is a gift? The threshold for a non relative is €16k.

Think it's €3k for the small gift exemption, which is operates outside and in addition to the gift tax.

heffo

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 20, 2017, 11:37:55 AMI also wonder what are the Revenue Commissioners doing in all of this? Is all this income being declared? However bad it is at club level can you just imagine what county team managers are getting.

Of course not - when I had to do it (physically pay the outside manager) it was handing him an envelope after training on a Thursday night once a month

Avondhu star

From my experience the majority of these outside managers etc dont deliver the goods but it just more of the shite that goes on. If the players fork out this cash then they deserve what they get
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

westbound

Quote from: shark on January 20, 2017, 05:43:38 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on January 20, 2017, 03:09:34 PM

Think it's €3k for the small gift exemption, which is operates outside and in addition to the gift tax.

The €3k is an annual exemption.

The 16K is a lifetime threshold. So therefore 10K received in year 1, is under the threshold, €10K received in year 2 is part taxable. (total is in excess of €16K) And the total €16K doesn't have to be from the same person. So club A in year 1 and club B in year 2 would still put the receiver over the threshold.

I know this doesn't happen, but that's Revenue's opinion on 'GIFTS'!