Previous topic - Next topic

Gaffer

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 22, 2017, 11:52:48 PM
Quote from: Gaffer on January 22, 2017, 10:54:20 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 22, 2017, 08:21:26 AM
Quote from: michaelg on January 22, 2017, 07:26:10 AM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 21, 2017, 09:27:18 PM
Quote from: currychip on January 21, 2017, 08:58:20 PM
In this thread I am afraid there is a lot of revisionism about what the IRA did in the North.  It certainly was a cold place for catholics, GAA supporters and anyone who expressed an Irish identity.  But the idea that the IRA were some great saviours is nonsense.   They killed a lot of those that they purported to be fighting for.  Bombed the crap out of Derry and many other places.  Undertook many actions that were cruel,cowardly and brutal.  Someone said that the GFA wouldn't have happened without them.  Neither you nor I know that, but if you want to say that the IRA gained the GFA I would have to question if the GFA was worth all the deaths they caused.  Certainly the Irish community have most rights that we are entitled to, but we don't know if that would not have happened anyway.  Non-whites in England and USA have gained a fair deal of equality without going through what we did.

Martin Mc Guinness has been a powerful and necessary leader in recent years and has stretched himself for reconciliation.  He deserves recognition for that.

War blurs lines.

There were plenty of innocents killed by the IRA during the War of Independence. There were Protestants massacred and burned out of their homes in Cork, there were informants who met their grizzly end etc etc. Not to even mention some of the acts during the Civil War. These are rarely talked about, lads being strapped to a land mine and blown to bits down in Ballyseedy is rarely mentioned by the two establishment parties in the Free State government, nor is the assassination of government ministers.

Sadly that's a consequence of any conflict. They were scary times and a lot of men and women end up doing extraordinary things they would not have done in orindary circumstances. Picture being a young lad from the Creggan who would have grown up during the Battle of the Bogside and Bloody Sunday, it's bound to skew your judgements and moral conscience of what needs to be and how it can be achieved.

Was it a war or not?  If so, why do Republlicans complain about incidents such as Loghgall were aggression was met with aggression.  You can't have your cake and eat it.

Of course it was war, the Provos were an outlawed organisation, they did not have any powers to make arrests or put someone through the courts. The British enacted a shoot to kill policy on IRA volunteers and then lied about it.

Did the Provos tell any lies do you think?

I'm sure they did but they were an outlawed organisation by the state.

The governors of the state meanwhile had no problem disregarding the justice system it had in place to deal with the Provos and exercised shoot to kill operations and then lied to the public and covered it up.

It was a war.

What did you think of Mandela?

You are sure they did!! I agree with you on that one. Quite a few fibs actually.

What's Mandela got to do with the Provis telling porkies?
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Hardy

Quote from: Applesisapples on January 23, 2017, 09:03:21 AM
Quote from: Hardy on January 21, 2017, 05:19:44 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on January 21, 2017, 03:46:39 PM
Quote from: OgraAnDun on January 21, 2017, 11:40:10 AM
Quote from: PW Nally on January 21, 2017, 08:08:27 AM
Quote from: Bazil Douglas on January 21, 2017, 12:49:26 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on January 20, 2017, 12:08:41 PM
Quote from: Syferus on January 20, 2017, 11:38:21 AM
http://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opinion/news-analysis/martin-mcguinness-record-in-executive-cant-exorcise-the-ghosts-of-the-past-35321466.html

Great article that accurately outlines how McGuiness is and will be viewed outside hard nationalist circles (and SF AGMs, I guess) in the six counties.

The rush to lionise the nationalist answer to Ian Paisley here just because he's gone shows a serious lack of perspective. Like Paisley, he took the north deeper down the rabbit hole. Everyone would have been better off without both.
I can only surmise that those on here who are being disingenuous with their views on McGuinness, fall into two categories, they either are 40 and under in age or live in the south. Anyone of my generation and older will only too readily remember what it was like growing up in the Protestant state. I could what about all day on nationalist grievances, my experience in work and on the streets and the actions of our fellow countrymen. But I won't. Martin McGuinness got embroiled in the troubles and the IRA because of his experiences. The history is there go read it. In fact those of you who want to objectively view the northern state and the cause of the troubles should go read Bonfires on the Hillsides by James Kelly. The best history of the North to be written. I personally could never pick up arms, but many like McGuinness did so out of frustration and a sense injustice. Am I condoning the atrocities ... absolutely not, but they need to be viewed in context. The SDLP and John Hume great man as he is could not have delivered the GFA or the peace process with out the IRA's actions, Unionists simply would not have moved, if you believe otherwise then you are a fool. There was much done on both sides and we thankfully have moved beyond that. You don't have to like Martin mcGuinness to acknowledge his contribution in delivering the North to where we are now. He has continuously stretched himself and nationalism in attempts to reach accommodation with political unionism only to be thwarted by intransigence. Unlike some he has never denied his past or sought to hide behind red hats or shotgun licences.

A very constructive post that shows an understanding of the Northern situation.
On the other hand we have syferus being as articulate as Jolene Bunting.
Great post Applesisapples.

I think that most under the age of 40 (or certainly 30) would lean towards SF, especially in the north.
That may be so but I am alluding to a lack of personal experience of the north in the 60's and 70's. My Dad god rest him related stories of how neighbours who were B Specials took great delight in abusing their powers as an auxiliary police force, neighbours mind you not strangers. Every July a home up until the late early '80's the OO transported their lambegs 3 miles from the hall to bate them outside the chapel. Times have changed but the trouble can't be viewed in isolation or from the comfort of todays catholic middle class. Those from the south quick with the condemnation easily forget the blood on the hands of many of the founding fathers of the southern state.I have also stopped short of accusing our southern fellow countrymen of abandoning us, as I don't think they had much option. But I do believe their is a suppressed guilt in the southern mindset that they did so and are some how responsible for the trouble, hence the fervour to heap it all (blame) onto SF and the IRA.

Balderpoppytwaddle
As opposed to the shite you are responsible for...twat.

Calm down. Mostly you post sense. When you post nonsense, expect to get called on it. I did that (without calling you names). You posted something you said you believe about the part of the country where I live, that I know to be nonsense. As someone who has read here for years that I'm not entitled to comment on the North because of where I live, I find it ironic that I get abused the first time I point out a misconception in a comment from the North about my part of the country.

AhNowRef

Quote from: Syferus on January 20, 2017, 02:26:22 PM
http://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/martin-mcguinness-refuses-to-condemn-ira-human-bomb-attack-in-1990-dubbed-the-work-of-satan-by-catholic-bishop-29733940.html

McGuiness. Three years ago. As simple and as immovable a repudiation of the responses above as you could find. Even in his peacemaker persona the mask slipped far too easily for the comfort of everyone in the south or with a conscience, even.

But don't let facts get in the way of the nonsense. They rarely have when it comes to anything in the north.

Here Syphilis, are you Conor Cruise O'Brian & Ruth Dudley Edwards' love child or what  ... either way you'll an awful fool .. you just dont get it Im afraid .. sometimes people with zero experience of what they're talking "sh1te" about should really hold their tongues  ::)

AhNowRef

Quote from: haranguerer on January 20, 2017, 02:38:56 PM
Quote from: Syferus on January 20, 2017, 02:26:22 PM
http://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/martin-mcguinness-refuses-to-condemn-ira-human-bomb-attack-in-1990-dubbed-the-work-of-satan-by-catholic-bishop-29733940.html

McGuiness. Three years ago. As simple and as immovable a repudiation of the responses above as you could find. Even in his peacemaker persona the mask slipped far too easily for the comfort of everyone in the south or with a conscience, even.

But don't let facts get in the way of the nonsense. They rarely have when it comes to anything in the north.

Those in the south who are like you have to dress it up as you do, because the thought that those in the north are exactly like you, and, but for the grace of god, are you, becomes too much to bear when you think about about what was done to help. Northern nationalists were on their own at the stroke of a pen - given how that state was administered thereafter, conflict was inevitable - and its rarely pretty. So watch injustice inflicted on your countrymen and do nothing, then give out when someone does do something. Admirable indeed.

Good way to put it indeed ...

No wides

http://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opinion/news-analysis/martin-mcguinness-record-in-executive-cant-exorcise-the-ghosts-of-the-past-35321466.html

Great article that accurately outlines how McGuiness is and will be viewed outside hard nationalist circles (and SF AGMs, I guess) in the six counties.

The rush to lionise the nationalist answer to Ian Paisley here just because he's gone shows a serious lack of perspective. Like Paisley, he took the north deeper down the rabbit hole. Everyone would have been better off without both.
I can only surmise that those on here who are being disingenuous with their views on McGuinness, fall into two categories, they either are 40 and under in age or live in the south. Anyone of my generation and older will only too readily remember what it was like growing up in the Protestant state. I could what about all day on nationalist grievances, my experience in work and on the streets and the actions of our fellow countrymen. But I won't. Martin McGuinness got embroiled in the troubles and the IRA because of his experiences. The history is there go read it. In fact those of you who want to objectively view the northern state and the cause of the troubles should go read Bonfires on the Hillsides by James Kelly. The best history of the North to be written. I personally could never pick up arms, but many like McGuinness did so out of frustration and a sense injustice. Am I condoning the atrocities ... absolutely not, but they need to be viewed in context. The SDLP and John Hume great man as he is could not have delivered the GFA or the peace process with out the IRA's actions, Unionists simply would not have moved, if you believe otherwise then you are a fool. There was much done on both sides and we thankfully have moved beyond that. You don't have to like Martin mcGuinness to acknowledge his contribution in delivering the North to where we are now. He has continuously stretched himself and nationalism in attempts to reach accommodation with political unionism only to be thwarted by intransigence. Unlike some he has never denied his past or sought to hide behind red hats or shotgun licences.

I think that most under the age of 40 (or certainly 30) would lean towards SF, especially in the north.
That may be so but I am alluding to a lack of personal experience of the north in the 60's and 70's. My Dad god rest him related stories of how neighbours who were B Specials took great delight in abusing their powers as an auxiliary police force, neighbours mind you not strangers. Every July a home up until the late early '80's the OO transported their lambegs 3 miles from the hall to bate them outside the chapel. Times have changed but the trouble can't be viewed in isolation or from the comfort of todays catholic middle class. Those from the south quick with the condemnation easily forget the blood on the hands of many of the founding fathers of the southern state.I have also stopped short of accusing our southern fellow countrymen of abandoning us, as I don't think they had much option. But I do believe their is a suppressed guilt in the southern mindset that they did so and are some how responsible for the trouble, hence the fervour to heap it all (blame) onto SF and the IRA.

Balderpoppytwaddle

Careful apples or he will block you. Hardy only likes to engage with the watsup group on here who think he is some sort of intellectual wit. 😁

Orior

In this thread I am afraid there is a lot of revisionism about what the IRA did in the North.  It certainly was a cold place for catholics, GAA supporters and anyone who expressed an Irish identity.  But the idea that the IRA were some great saviours is nonsense.   They killed a lot of those that they purported to be fighting for.  Bombed the crap out of Derry and many other places.  Undertook many actions that were cruel,cowardly and brutal.  Someone said that the GFA wouldn't have happened without them.  Neither you nor I know that, but if you want to say that the IRA gained the GFA I would have to question if the GFA was worth all the deaths they caused.  Certainly the Irish community have most rights that we are entitled to, but we don't know if that would not have happened anyway.  Non-whites in England and USA have gained a fair deal of equality without going through what we did.

Martin Mc Guinness has been a powerful and necessary leader in recent years and has stretched himself for reconciliation.  He deserves recognition for that.

War blurs lines.

There were plenty of innocents killed by the IRA during the War of Independence. There were Protestants massacred and burned out of their homes in Cork, there were informants who met their grizzly end etc etc. Not to even mention some of the acts during the Civil War. These are rarely talked about, lads being strapped to a land mine and blown to bits down in Ballyseedy is rarely mentioned by the two establishment parties in the Free State government, nor is the assassination of government ministers.

Sadly that's a consequence of any conflict. They were scary times and a lot of men and women end up doing extraordinary things they would not have done in orindary circumstances. Picture being a young lad from the Creggan who would have grown up during the Battle of the Bogside and Bloody Sunday, it's bound to skew your judgements and moral conscience of what needs to be and how it can be achieved.

Was it a war or not?  If so, why do Republlicans complain about incidents such as Loghgall were aggression was met with aggression.  You can't have your cake and eat it.

If it was not a war, then why do the british display pictures and artifacts from the six counties in the Imperial War Museum in London?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Applesisapples

Quote from: Hardy on January 23, 2017, 01:08:15 PM

Balderpoppytwaddle

Calm down. Mostly you post sense. When you post nonsense, expect to get called on it. I did that (without calling you names). You posted something you said you believe about the part of the country where I live, that I know to be nonsense. As someone who has read here for years that I'm not entitled to comment on the North because of where I live, I find it ironic that I get abused the first time I point out a misconception in a comment from the North about my part of the country.
Ok maybe a bit oversensitive on my part. I have lived and worked in the south and with southerners and it is a sense I get, if it is a suppressed condition you wouldn't necessarily be aware. And it should not be dismissed out of hand. I do firmly believe that people are conditioned by their folk memory's or experiences. The famine, partition etc definitely impact on how Irish people view their position. The siege mentality of unionism is another example.

Applesisapples

Their is no revisionism of what the IRA did in the troubles. There is revisionism about 1916, 1920, 1922 and the old IRA. War is dirty. I can't and won't condone the violence perpetrated by the IRA or the British or Loyalists. But I was fortunate in where I was born and raised. As i also said earlier it is too easy to judge the actions of Martin McGuinness through the mores of today. But look closely at conflict any where and you see the same atrocities. Victors write the history, in the North there are no victors just to conflicting views of history. Both the Free State (as was) and the Northern State were founded on terrorist activities. What is wrong in Ireland as a whole is that we don't stop often enough to look at the problem through our opponents eyes, lest we be uncomfortable with what we see.

haranguerer

Quote from: Orior on January 23, 2017, 05:36:33 PM

War blurs lines.

If it was not a war, then why do the british display pictures and artifacts from the six counties in the Imperial War Museum in London?

Including this  :o
https://imperialwarmuseum.wordpress.com/2015/05/31/loyalist-murder-weapon-found-at-iwm/

lynchbhoy

Quote from: haveaharp on January 23, 2017, 09:34:58 AM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on January 22, 2017, 11:47:37 PM

War blurs lines.

not liked but accepted round our way

war is war

it was a dirty war started off since plantation...

but war is never clean.

thankfully it's in past history now.

If it was war then the hunger strikers should have been given POW status, in the can't have your cake and eat it sense.
They originally had that status...but it was revoked in order to label republican prisoners as criminals...
part of what the hunger strike was about!!

..now you know!!!

vallankumous

He was an amazing figure in Irish Politics.

GJL

Il Bomber Destro

An ordinary man who did extraordinary things.

johnneycool

A Rebel I came,
I'm still the same.
On the cold wind of night you will find me.

Rip Martin.

gallsman