Author Topic: Intercounty apathy a worrying trend  (Read 4847 times)

thewobbler

• View Profile
    • Balllyholland Harps GAC
Re: Intercounty apathy a worrying trend
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2017, 04:55:03 PM »
I wonder has anyone put the Leeny/Jinxy/me thing to the panels of the weaker Counties?
Anyway don't the wise old Administrators usually make decisions so as to save the GAA from mad young lads who should be out playing and burning off energy instead if interfering in the running of theach Assocuation☺
You know those under 25s and their undeveloped lobes and all that.
Seriously what is the dream of entering the Qualifiers for the D4 teams? Even if some of them do a Longford and bate a few big lads over the years there's still no cup or medals or big day out in Croker.

This is the same case with every competition in the world.

Why did Dundalk even bother taking part in the Europa league?

Or Hull in the Premiership?

Or Cleveland in the NFL?

Or Ballymartin the Down SFC?

To test yourself at the highest level and to build upon it.

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2017, 04:56:19 PM »
It just strikes me as weird that junior/intermediate/senior or some variation is in place in practically every level of competition in the GAA except senior intercounty football.
Wasn't  always the case. Ros were graded Junior in the 1930s and our 1940 AI JFC was won by our first 15.
3 years later.....
2016 - Hurling League Champions, Football League Semi finalists

Rossfan

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2017, 04:58:15 PM »
Wobbler - them teams won the right to play there just like Junior club champions go Inter and Inter Champions go Senior

thewobbler

• View Profile
    • Balllyholland Harps GAC
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2017, 05:16:43 PM »
Wobbler - them teams won the right to play there just like Junior club champions go Inter and Inter Champions go Senior

But they aren't representative teams.

Stop thinking of GAA counties as clubs and instead accept them for what they are - representative teams, more in line with an international football or rugby or cricket side. When a player isn't good enough to make any of those representative teams, he goes back to his club side. But when he is good enough, he doesn't get to choose which country he plays for; he makes the best out of what has been given.

Esmarelda

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2017, 05:32:45 PM »
Rossfan, I think thewobbler is right.

In every sport (if you don't like his examples)from the Grand National in Horse Racing to swimmers in the Olympics who get beaten by a length, there are "competitors" that enter for reasons other than to win a medal.

Someone else said earlier in the thread that if the players come out in force and say they want a second tier system then fair enough. As it stands, this is not the case. The only caveat to this is that perhaps the lads that have already opted out (and therefore haven't been asked) would prefer a second tier competition. I doubt it though.

lenny

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2017, 05:39:21 PM »

A good few people on here are making an unfair comparison with the ring and rackard cups re attendances. The counties involved there wouldn't be traditional hurling counties and their attendances would be extremely poor no matter what competition they were in. I have no real interest in going to derry championship matches at the moment as it's completely meaningless. It's only a matter of time before we're beat, therefore we're not really taking part in the competition for sam maguire. I'm sure a number of the players feel the same and that's why around 10 of them have decided not to commit. I don't blame them at all. We play tyrone in the first round of the championship and I can predict even at this stage that we will be well beaten most likely. I have no appetite to go and watch that. If we were in an intermediate championship with counties like Armagh, Down, Tipperary, Galway and Meath there would be some really attractive games there with a realistic chance of winning. Also there would be counties there with decent traditions in football and the prospects of a decent crowd.

Rossfan

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2017, 05:47:42 PM »
Good to see Down, Galway and Meath Internediate :D

Cunny Funt

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2017, 06:03:06 PM »
Until I hear a steady stream of players from division three and division four counties say that they want a tiered structure at senior county level, I won't believe that there is any demand for it. The players I know would prefer to train all year for a Leinster championship and to keep alive the dream of "maybe, it might be our day" than to give in and admit that the Dubs are unbeatable. The Leinster SFC match between Offaly and Westmeath at Mullingar this year meant more to those involved than any intermediate final would, and that's as it should be. I'd wager you'd get a similar response from Leitrim, who would have targeted the game against Roscommon all year, and good luck convincing Tipperary (A D3 team, let's not forget!) that they belong in a second tier championship after the year they've just had.

There's no shortage of ex-players from Kerry, Dublin and Mayo who like to push for a second tier championship, but it's easy say that when your county wouldn't be involved. They're like the Merc drivers who want better public transport, not so that they'd have to use it and rub shoulders with the great unwashed, but so that it might clear the roads a bit and make more space for them. Of course the likes of Martin Breheny wants it too. He can have more games between the big teams and save himself the hassle of mixing with the hoi polloi out in the sticks. 

Moreover, those selling the idea of a second tier championship like to promise things that they're not in a position to deliver. Already we're in a situation where the national media is far more interested in reporting bland comments from a manager or player with one of the top teams than on actual matches, and the GAA has allowed this situation to the develop. A picture is painted of good coverage of second tier games and an August Sunday in Croke Park, but what will actually happen instead is that the crowds won't be good enough, the games will be quietly moved out of HQ, and the papers will largely ignore the competition. Already I've noticed that many papers don't provide reports from ordinary games that they would have covered previously, instead going for wrap up articles, or ignoring them already. The TV cameras will have no interest in covering Leitrim vs Carlow the Junior championship so sponsorship opportunities for those counties will diminish, widening the gap even further.
Nail on head there.

OgraAnDun

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2017, 06:38:40 PM »
I wonder has anyone put the Leeny/Jinxy/me thing to the panels of the weaker Counties?

I think the GPA did last year, and the answer was 'not interested'.

Rossfan

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2017, 06:44:48 PM »
 Leeny/Jinxy/me only put our suggestions out there in the last few days.
So the only proposal going to Congress is HQ's 24 also rans and Super 8 two tier system?

Captain Obvious

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2017, 06:55:43 PM »
Football is not going to go backwards.
Quality wise of the games its gone backwards and i don't see any of the new rules this year improving it. Low risk chess like senior championship football it has become especially in the business end at least underage county is more enjoyable to watch however those in congress have decided to tamper with and change those competitions  ::)

Jinxy

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2017, 08:35:31 PM »

I've changed my mind.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

lenny

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2017, 09:01:09 PM »

I've changed my mind.

In a 3 tier system there would be a lot of decent teams in the middle band and it would be very competitive.

SpeculativeEffort

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2017, 09:20:12 PM »
The attitude of Div 3 and 4 players towards a tiered competition merely shows their lack of ambition for all to see. Instead of earning the right to compete with the best they want it guaranteed to them, no matter how bad they are. They also forget that even if they begin in tier 3, they are only 2 years away from the top level as they can work hard, measure progress and work their way up. At the moment they are light years away and only codding themselves.

BallyhaiseMan

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2017, 10:25:30 PM »
The attitude of Div 3 and 4 players towards a tiered competition merely shows their lack of ambition for all to see. Instead of earning the right to compete with the best they want it guaranteed to them, no matter how bad they are. They also forget that even if they begin in tier 3, they are only 2 years away from the top level as they can work hard, measure progress and work their way up. At the moment they are light years away and only codding themselves.

Are you sure Gaelic Football is the sport for you???
If a player is deemed good enough to make a county panel and is willing to put in the 5-7 training sessions throughout the season,including recovery sessions required to represent their county, that earns them the right to match up against the best,no matter  how good or bad their team is.
Division 3 and 4 National League teams have every much a right to partake in the All Ireland championship as the likes of Dublin or Kerry.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 10:35:29 PM by BallyhaiseMan »