Russian Ambassador to Turkey murdered live on TV

Started by Boycey, December 19, 2016, 05:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Syferus on December 19, 2016, 10:13:08 PM
And we have the balls to be complaining about bus strikes and worrying about flegs.  Being on a little island out in the middle of the Atlantic rarely has felt better.

+1

I was in Berlin this time last year at the Christmas markets - I was in Nice the night of that terrorist attack in the summer. I had a friend who worked as a UN observer in Syria who finally decided that another decapitated head at his doorstep was one too many and retired from the army.

We are living in uncertain times I am glad to be living them in Ireland warts and all.
#newbridgeornowhere

seafoid

And we have the balls to be complaining about bus strikes and worrying about flegs.  Being on a little island out in the middle of the Atlantic rarely has felt better.
For a good few centuries Ireland was not a good place to be. The quiet is nice for a change.

vallankumous

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 19, 2016, 08:43:14 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on December 19, 2016, 08:35:58 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 19, 2016, 07:56:07 PM
Truck kills several people at Berlin xmas market too

And an incident in Switzerland.

Terrible

Do you think these things are related or are you just making a list of stuff that happened.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: vallankumous on December 20, 2016, 08:31:32 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 19, 2016, 08:43:14 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on December 19, 2016, 08:35:58 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 19, 2016, 07:56:07 PM
Truck kills several people at Berlin xmas market too

And an incident in Switzerland.

Terrible

Do you think these things are related or are you just making a list of stuff that happened.

nope, just didnt want to start another thread, i mentioned one thing so hardly a list
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

stew

This radical Muslim scum recognise no neutrality, they wll try and attack the entire western world, we will get hit yet!

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

vallankumous

Quote from: stew on December 20, 2016, 09:58:11 AM

This radical Muslim scum recognise no neutrality, they wll try and attack the entire western world, we will get hit yet!

there's no reason to believe that.

This doesn't seem right and I think Putin isn't convinced this was Isis despite Isis being linked in the most basic ways. A one finger salute does not make an Isis assassin.

The problem with Islam extreme in the west is that islam are loyal to Alla while we demand their first loyalty to the state.
In the West we have a mixed bag of Christianity and State.
Swearing office on the Bible, For God and Country, God Bless America, God Save our Gracious Queen, Queen head of state and Church of England. Christianity and State in the west are hand in hand. Apart from France where separation of State and Church is constitutional. So, in France you can only have one authority and that's the State. If you answer to a higher power you are a threat as the State demands your loyalty.
Secularism doesn't work as people are religious. That's just how it is. Islamic law is a bigger authority than State law, that's just how it is. Moslems will never be loyal to a state that does not allow for Alla. There will always be problems.
In Ireland we have a very different look at statehood. We demand loyalty to nation, the romantic view but there is no demand for loyalty to the state. We don't have a History that demands loyalty to the state and we allow freedom of religion. This is a safe place for Moslems to be Moslems.

muppet

Quote from: vallankumous on December 20, 2016, 10:19:44 AM
Quote from: stew on December 20, 2016, 09:58:11 AM

there's no reason to believe that.

This doesn't seem right and I think Putin isn't convinced this was Isis despite Isis being linked in the most basic ways. A one finger salute does not make an Isis assassin.

The problem with Islam extreme in the west is that islam are loyal to Alla while we demand their first loyalty to the state.
In the West we have a mixed bag of Christianity and State.
Swearing office on the Bible, For God and Country, God Bless America, God Save our Gracious Queen, Queen head of state and Church of England. Christianity and State in the west are hand in hand. Apart from France where separation of State and Church is constitutional. So, in France you can only have one authority and that's the State. If you answer to a higher power you are a threat as the State demands your loyalty.
Secularism doesn't work as people are religious. That's just how it is. Islamic law is a bigger authority than State law, that's just how it is. Moslems will never be loyal to a state that does not allow for Alla. There will always be problems.
In Ireland we have a very different look at statehood. We demand loyalty to nation, the romantic view but there is no demand for loyalty to the state. We don't have a History that demands loyalty to the state and we allow freedom of religion. This is a safe place for Moslems to be Moslems.

That is certainly an interesting insight into things I had never considered.

But regarding secularism, we have become quite secular and yet we have avoided many of the problems with Islamic extremism. But maybe we have been lucky.
MWWSI 2017

vallankumous

Quote from: muppet on December 20, 2016, 02:50:01 PM

But regarding secularism, we have become quite secular and yet we have avoided many of the problems with Islamic extremism. But maybe we have been lucky.

yes but we do still have a hangover. The repeal the 8th is a window into that. Consious and religious position are still intertwined in ireland even if not recognised as such.
The biggest thing we have going for us is the our history which has affected our present.
We did not have an State Identity until recently and even it is a source of dispute. We can freely separate State and Country despite best efforts of some to meld the two. We have never had conscription or a war to fight under one flag one state etc. We have never had a common enemy despite what some might say. The State can't guilt us into supporting it with a 'support our troops' or 'war of independence' type of promotion. there's no national narrative that's agreed on it.
Also, we are protective of people who were colonised and treated badly for religious purposes. Not everyone will agree on that but I think most irish people will be afraid of Moslem extremism across the world but relate to them in real terms in communities. Our projection changes when we engage and we are a welcoming and protective nation.

muppet

Quote from: vallankumous on December 20, 2016, 03:12:25 PM

yes but we do still have a hangover. The repeal the 8th is a window into that. Consious and religious position are still intertwined in ireland even if not recognised as such.
The biggest thing we have going for us is the our history which has affected our present.
We did not have an State Identity until recently and even it is a source of dispute. We can freely separate State and Country despite best efforts of some to meld the two. We have never had conscription or a war to fight under one flag one state etc. We have never had a common enemy despite what some might say. The State can't guilt us into supporting it with a 'support our troops' or 'war of independence' type of promotion. there's no national narrative that's agreed on it.
Also, we are protective of people who were colonised and treated badly for religious purposes. Not everyone will agree on that but I think most irish people will be afraid of Moslem extremism across the world but relate to them in real terms in communities. Our projection changes when we engage and we are a welcoming and protective nation.

I would disagree regarding not having had a common enemy, but I agree with the rest.

I think our history is a lot simpler than most places. We only had one invader.
MWWSI 2017

vallankumous

Quote from: muppet on December 20, 2016, 03:19:17 PM

I would disagree regarding not having had a common enemy, but I agree with the rest.

I would too but I know many do not feel the same. So for this argument I can't decide on it. Even at the time of the rising many did not feel the same.

Íseal agus crua isteach a

What we are seeing being implemented in Europe is the  "coudenhove kalergi plan".

vallankumous

Quote from: Íseal agus crua isteach a on December 20, 2016, 03:52:19 PM
What we are seeing being implemented in Europe is the  "coudenhove kalergi plan".

There's no way I'm googling that. Is there more to the contribution?

Milltown Row2

We, as in all of Ireland don't have a large population of immigrants or refuges, asylum seekers.... on a basic level we have plenty of racists, mainly in the older generation but a lot of young uneducated kids are leaving schools and blaming no jobs on foreigners coming here and taking their work!

Of course that's not the truth, the lazy feckers wouldn't apply for them. The point is, if there is a larger influx of the above, then you will see a change in views, regardless of our past... hopefully staying out of wars will give us a by ball.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

stew

Aye right enough, the Vikings.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: stew on December 20, 2016, 08:46:45 PM

Aye right enough, the Vikings.

Who soon integrated fairly well, as Seafoid will soon be along to tell us. Only one invader and occupier that lasted centuries. Last I checked we didn't need to negotiate a treaty with the Danes.