Mars - Why would it be a better place to colonise comared to the Moon?

Started by Denn Forever, December 19, 2016, 05:20:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denn Forever

Recently the subject of colonising Mars has been talked about more (OK Discovery programs).  What intrinsic properties does Mars have that the Moon hasn't?  Is it the presence of water?  How long would it take to get to Mars?  Surely the Moon would be a better option.  Closer to Earth, easier to re stock.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

J70

Interesting question. Are there not outfits trying to do each?

I think once there, the frozen water and CO2 atmosphere which could be harnessed to produce oxygen makes water and breathable air easier to produce on Mars.

No clue as to the overall, relative ease of each. Maybe Mars is easier, technically, while the moon is, obviously, much more accessible.

Hardy

Quote from: J70 on December 19, 2016, 05:28:31 PM

I think once there, the frozen water and CO2 atmosphere which could be harnessed to produce oxygen makes water and breathable air easier to produce on Mars.

No clue as to the overall, relative ease of each. Maybe Mars is easier, technically, while the moon is, obviously, much more accessible.

You're just a bullshitter trying to look liberal and pretend gay astronauts are normal. But what happens if your son comes home and tells you he wants to be the first transsexual astronaut? Hah? See? Now! QED.

J70

Quote from: Hardy on December 19, 2016, 06:57:02 PM

You're just a bullshitter trying to look liberal and pretend gay astronauts are normal. But what happens if your son comes home and tells you he wants to be the first transsexual astronaut? Hah? See? Now! QED.

;D

No wides

Will the gaffer tape hold in space?

Syferus

Quote from: Denn Forever on December 19, 2016, 05:20:28 PM
Recently the subject of colonising Mars has been talked about more (OK Discovery programs).  What intrinsic properties does Mars have that the Moon hasn't?  Is it the presence of water?  How long would it take to get to Mars?  Surely the Moon would be a better option.  Closer to Earth, easier to re stock.

Mars still has a bit of an atmosphere, the Moon has none. Helps with not being microwaved by cosmic waves. You'll need shielding on either, though. Also gravity on the Moon is 1/6 of Earth's - that would be very bad for someone's bone density and body in general if they grew up on the Moon. Mars' gravity is roughly 40% of Earth's, which is more manageable.

The Moon is tidally locked to Earth and hence its days are completely out of whack - either side stays in sunlight for two week, followed by two weeks of darkness. So a day on the moon is 28 ish Earth days. A Mars day is only 24 hours and 40 minutes long - much more compatible for humans.

If we don't destroy ourselves we should eventually colonize both the Moon and Mars, but Mars has the potential to support more people and more purposes than the Moon does.

muppet

;D ;D ;D ;D

MWWSI 2017

seafoid

thejuice

Will Mars compete in Leinster?

Also I think it would be a long way to go for a league match. What's a wet weekend on Mars like? Would it be as bad as the Hyde?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

thejuice

I'm assuming this is an Irish mission to colonise Mars. I doubt anyone else would be interested that type of thing.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

armaghniac

Quote from: thejuice on December 19, 2016, 11:07:16 PM
I'm assuming this is an Irish mission to colonise Mars. I doubt anyone else would be interested that type of thing.

The British went to some trouble to colonise Tyrone, so you wouldn't know.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

thejuice

Quote from: armaghniac on December 19, 2016, 11:21:14 PM
Quote from: thejuice on December 19, 2016, 11:07:16 PM

The British went to some trouble to colonise Tyrone, so you wouldn't know.

Any sign of life?

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Syferus on December 19, 2016, 08:12:20 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on December 19, 2016, 05:20:28 PM

Mars still has a bit of an atmosphere, the Moon has none. Helps with not being microwaved by cosmic waves. You'll need shielding on either, though. Also gravity on the Moon is 1/6 of Earth's - that would be very bad for someone's bone density and body in general if they grew up on the Moon. Mars' gravity is roughly 40% of Earth's, which is more manageable.

The Moon is tidally locked to Earth and hence its days are completely out of whack - either side stays in sunlight for two week, followed by two weeks of darkness. So a day on the moon is 28 ish Earth days. A Mars day is only 24 hours and 40 minutes long - much more compatible for humans.

If we don't destroy ourselves we should eventually colonize both the Moon and Mars, but Mars has the potential to support more people and more purposes than the Moon does.

Micrometeorites are a bit of an occupational hazard on the moon since there's no atmosphere to burn them up.

Terraforming is a possibility on Mars too. Not much chance of that happening on the moon since its gravity isn't strong enough to keep much of an atmosphere. That said, for the foreseeable next few centuries people on Mars are going to be living indoors. For the first inhabitants it'll be like an Antarctic research station but less comfortable.