Weddings, Funerals, Confirmations etc. only
51 (41.5%)

Total Members Voted: 123

Franko

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 14, 2016, 11:44:16 PM
Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on December 14, 2016, 09:33:44 AM
Well said. Spot on riposte.

Would you two like to be alone?

How grown up of you, and funny too.  ::)

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 14, 2016, 11:47:35 PM
Quote from: Franko on December 14, 2016, 09:20:01 AM

I didn't tell you anything apart from the fact that you were being a smug arsehole.  Which isn't up for debate.  Uber liberal Eamon preaches tolerance for all... except theists.  Enjoy Donald.

Yes, quite.

My point: "Religion is superstitious nonsense."
Your response: "You're a smug arsehole."

Typical conservative. Lose the argument, lose your mind, and blow up in a rage of personal insults and name-calling rather than try to address the point. I couldn't have asked for more evidence of the intellectual bankruptcy of religion. Please continue.

Oh dear, your need to pigeon hole me has you all tied up in knots here.

1.  If you'd read my opening post you see that I'm not religious.  I was born and raised Catholic but haven't been to mass of my own volition in years.

2.  I'm definitely not conservative in my politics.

Just because I don't feel the need to 'laugh' at someone who has a strong belief in God, doesn't make me either.  I'm not sure where this leaves your general point but it doesn't look good from where I'm standing.  But hey, you feel free to insult those who don't agree with you.  That's your lookout.  Though if you do, I'd caution you that describing yourself as a 'liberal' may cause you to be the one who's being laughed at.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Boycey on December 13, 2016, 05:43:32 PM
Quote from: dec on December 13, 2016, 05:18:06 PM
Missing option

Never, NEVER, NEVER!!!!!!

I'd pretty much fall into this category..

And me, seeing as we're going to be excluded from the poll.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

BenDover

Quote from: No wides on December 15, 2016, 08:07:04 AM
Quote from: BenDover on December 14, 2016, 03:44:27 PM
Eldest fella is making his First Communion this year in school, so they've started a programme where he attends a mass with all the other P4/R4 kids in the area there are 9 organized mass before First Communion and one for after.
It's not to bad when I'm there but who's bright idea was it to tweak the words of the parayers ffs

It must be years since you were at mass!
it is, i'd be in the weddings, funerals category when it comes to mass only go when i really have to.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: BenDover on December 15, 2016, 11:14:00 AM
Eldest fella is making his First Communion this year in school, so they've started a programme where he attends a mass with all the other P4/R4 kids in the area there are 9 organized mass before First Communion and one for after.
It's not to bad when I'm there but who's bright idea was it to tweak the words of the parayers ffs

it is, i'd be in the weddings, funerals category when it comes to mass only go when i really have to.
Same as that. Was at a funeral recently and there was all this "and with your spirit" craic that I don't recall back when I was conscripted to attend Mass.

johnneycool

Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 15, 2016, 12:07:41 PM

Same as that. Was at a funeral recently and there was all this "and with your spirit" craic that I don't recall back when I was conscripted to attend Mass.

And a change to the act of contrition. Most gravous or something like that. Must have been a way for the clergy to apologise for their major failings....

Take Your Points

The change in the words used in the Mass occurred over two years ago and it was meant to bring Ireland into line with the language used in other countries.

foxcommander

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 14, 2016, 11:43:48 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on December 14, 2016, 05:16:56 PM
or in your case you worship yourself

Nothing wrong with that at all.

Actually there is. Look up delusions of grandeur and associated disorders.

Or maybe you're just a prissy little princess who hasn't grown up  ;D
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

No wides

Quote from: foxcommander on December 15, 2016, 01:41:59 PM

A great observation.  8)

muppet

It took 350 years for the Catholic Church to right this particular wrong: http://www.nytimes.com/1992/10/31/world/after-350-years-vatican-says-galileo-was-right-it-moves.html

Religion has been a completely logical part of our search for answers. But like everything else, it was exploited, became completely dogmatic and looks to me to be seriously wounded.

I think the greater availability of education has probably been the biggest cause of its decline, as people are more inclined to make up their own minds, instead of accepting counter-intuitive claims as 'faith'.

I like reading historical stuff like TheJuice and find The Bible fascinating. I wish there was such a comprehensive account from Ireland that far back. But we don't even know who wrote most of it, let alone know that they were writing 'God's Word'.

For some people though religion is far more than a mere religion. For a lot of us in Ireland it is still part of our identity, even if we don't go to mass. I would see my own identity as Irish Catholic non-practising.
MWWSI 2017

whitey

Quote from: J70 on December 15, 2016, 01:31:49 AM
Quote from: whitey on December 15, 2016, 01:23:21 AM
It's more cultural than religious here where I live in the States. The Episcopalians are the old money in town and the Catholics are the professional and small business people. There are still subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) discriminations against Catholics so we all band together

Really?

In what way?

One example would be the Beach and Tennis club is membership by invitation only and somehow Catholics never seem to be on the invite list.  There's a prep school that gives out scholarships to local students....somehow Catholics see to be under represented, if at all, when the scholarships are given out. A third example would be someone I know who has five kids and wanted to remodel and expand a house they bought add bedrooms and bathrooms....someone actually asked them at a public meeting if they were planning to have any more children....before lodging all types of complaints againwith the planning board against their application

muppet

Quote from: whitey on December 15, 2016, 07:06:29 PM
Quote from: J70 on December 15, 2016, 01:31:49 AM
Quote from: whitey on December 15, 2016, 01:23:21 AM
It's more cultural than religious here where I live in the States. The Episcopalians are the old money in town and the Catholics are the professional and small business people. There are still subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) discriminations against Catholics so we all band together

Really?

In what way?

One example would be the Beach and Tennis club is membership by invitation only and somehow Catholics never seem to be on the invite list.  There's a prep school that gives out scholarships to local students....somehow Catholics see to be under represented, if at all, when the scholarships are given out. A third example would be someone I know who has five kids and wanted to remodel and expand a house they bought add bedrooms and bathrooms....someone actually asked them at a public meeting if they were planning to have any more children....before lodging all types of complaints againwith the planning board against their application

The first two cases would probably be grounds for discrimination, if you can prove it. The 3rd would depend on what the basis of the complaint was and if it was in writing . If it was based on religion or the number of children, then I would be suing.
MWWSI 2017

Eamonnca1

Is that the best you can do? Come on man, put your back into it! You must have more creative insults in the bag than that, you amusingly stupid mucksavage.

Oraisteach

What part of the country is that, whitey?

foxcommander

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on December 15, 2016, 08:51:51 PM

Is that the best you can do? Come on man, put your back into it! You must have more creative insults in the bag than that, you amusingly stupid mucksavage.

I think I hit the bullseye!!
Don't worry eamon, I'll still come along to your sweet 16 party ;)
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

An Astrail

Quote from: johnneycool on December 15, 2016, 12:30:38 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 15, 2016, 12:07:41 PM

And a change to the act of contrition. Most gravous or something like that. Must have been a way for the clergy to apologise for their major failings....

It's more in line with the original Latin - "et cum spirito tuo" and "mea maxima culpa" was always in the Latin but the English translation from the 1960s went a bit free and easy with some bits.