Author Topic: Arlene and The Renewable Heat Incentive  (Read 34979 times)

AQMP

• View Profile
Arlene and The Renewable Heat Incentive
« on: December 08, 2016, 03:27:44 PM »
Can't see this covered anywhere else.  This story should be huge.  Major f**k-up by Arlene...why aren't the Shinners all over this like a rash?? ::)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-38229535

"Serious systematic failings" in a Stormont-run renewable energy scheme are likely to hit the Northern Ireland budget by "hundreds of millions of pounds", the Audit Office has said.

The Renewable Heat Incentive scheme was run by the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Investment (DETI).  The Audit Office said 140m could be taken from the region's block grant from the Treasury to plug the deficit.  The economy minister said the findings were "deeply shocking".  The scheme was set up to encourage businesses and domestic users to switch to biomass heating systems, mostly burning wood pellets.  More than 1bn of public money is due to be paid out over the next 20 years as a result of it.  The investigation was prompted when a whistleblower contacted the Northern Ireland Executive in January alleging that the scheme was being abused.
One of the claims was that a farmer was aiming to collect about 1m over 20 years from the scheme for heating an empty shed.  The whistleblower also claimed large factories that had previously not been heated were using the scheme to install boilers with the intention of running them throughout the year to collect about 1.5m over 20 years.

Kieran Donnelly, the auditor general, said there was "no upper limit on the amount of energy that would be paid for".  "The more heat that is generated, the more is paid," he said.  In one example cited by the report, a business taking part in the same scheme in Great Britain could collect about 192,000 over 20 years by using a boiler all year round, but a Northern Ireland firm doing the same could earn 860,000.  Mr Donnelly said the scheme had "serious systematic failings from the start".  DETI has since been renamed as the Department of the Economy.  The current minister Simon Hamilton (DUP) said ongoing costs of the scheme to taxpayers were "incredible".  "Opportunities were missed to remedy the situation" by those "directly responsible for administering the scheme," he said.
"External consultants are already being appointed to conduct on-the-spot and thorough inspections of installations to ensure they meet the spirit and letter of the scheme," he said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-38248147

Interestingly Simon Hamilton tried to block the publication of the report earlier in the year.

Walt Jabsco

• View Profile
Re: Arlene and The Renewable Heat Incentive
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 04:28:52 PM »
Am I alone in thinking this or has anybody thought of this - the scheme uses wood pellets as the fuel and there is a massive pellet production plant in Arlene's back yard where a good number are employed. The plant was set up 2007 quite possibly with financial help from Invest NI which is connected to DETI. There was also the fracking controversy in Fermanagh also where Arlene was embroiled in by granting a licence for an area which included land owned by her or her connection IIRC  Looks like a case of no smoke without fire to me or did the fire just not go out and has ben rekindled (no pun intended)   

screenexile

• Up The Screen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 04:34:42 PM »
It's a clusterfuck and anybody with their head screwed on at the time got tore into it and I know of a few doing very well out of it!

Can they row it back and renege on what they said they'd pay out?

Either way Arlene royally fucked herself . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b39yQp-G7I0

AQMP

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 04:54:50 PM »
Am I alone in thinking this or has anybody thought of this - the scheme uses wood pellets as the fuel and there is a massive pellet production plant in Arlene's back yard where a good number are employed. The plant was set up 2007 quite possibly with financial help from Invest NI which is connected to DETI. There was also the fracking controversy in Fermanagh also where Arlene was embroiled in by granting a licence for an area which included land owned by her or her connection IIRC  Looks like a case of no smoke without fire to me or did the fire just not go out and has ben rekindled (no pun intended)   

I think there's something like that at the heart of this Walt. 

Key questions - why was the level of support raised to a level where essentially if you burnt 100 worth of pellets, you got a grant of more than 100 and the more you burnt the more money you got, which led to hotels and nursing homes having the heating on full blast while it was 24 deg outside -

and when they realised that this was going to cost a holy fortune and they decided to close the scheme, why did they keep it open for 10 weeks more, apparently there was a rush of applications during that period.  Approval rate of applications was something like 98%.  Who was approved during this period and how much did it cost?

AQMP

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 04:57:36 PM »
It's a clusterfuck and anybody with their head screwed on at the time got tore into it and I know of a few doing very well out of it!

I think there's going to be pressure on them to cancel these contract but that will lead to legal ramifications and maybe more money.

screenexile

• Up The Screen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 05:01:21 PM »

I think there's going to be pressure on them to cancel these contract but that will lead to legal ramifications and maybe more money.

Yeah the language they're using in the article above doesn't sound like it would have too much standing in a court of law...

"External consultants are already being appointed to conduct on-the-spot and thorough inspections of installations to ensure they meet the spirit and letter of the scheme,"

They'd be laughed out of the place yes they can find those abusing it but I don't think they have a way to shut them down!

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 05:12:38 PM »
Arlene is not very good.
Her call on Brexit was insane.
Dancing "Arlene's on fire" in a hotel that was firebombed and in which a number of Protestants died was very stupid if not comedy gold .
Fill ar do chuid. Tremenjus

Walt Jabsco

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 05:29:37 PM »
The request for the release of the list of grant aid recipients being withheld under Data Protection to me adds to the suspicion of those that may be involved could add further to the complicity of Arlene in the affair.
SF have asked for further legal advice on whether the list being withheld under Data Protection legislation is permissible. IMO SF are gathering an arsenal to deliver a broadside where there will be few survivors. They are all after blood Nesbitt Allister et al smell the DUPs big time

Orior

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 05:30:48 PM »
Arlene is not very good.
Her call on Brexit was insane.
Dancing "Arlene's on fire" in a hotel that was firebombed and in which a number of Protestants died was very stupid if not comedy gold .

The Chinese probably wondered who was the bloke that turned up when they were expecting a female.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 05:38:08 PM »

I would say she's up to her neck in it too. These things don't just get done by coincidence.

These people are having a laugh and raking the money in.

(As per usual they will no doubt get away with it too)

Frank_The_Tank

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 05:47:58 PM »
A massive f@ck up.  Heads should roll in the civil service as well.  Some of them.are on 60-100k a year salaries and are still employed.

On another point its a pity people weren't a bit more ethical in using them.  Heating on with windows open just to get more money...do they not realise it is public money they are getting that could be spent on hospitals/infrastructure/education.

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 06:07:11 PM »
On another point its a pity people weren't a bit more ethical in using them.  Heating on with windows open just to get more money...do they not realise it is public money they are getting that could be spent on hospitals/infrastructure/education.

Yeah right.
Ethics in this case would be growing tomatoes and not cannabis.
if at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Frank_The_Tank

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2016, 06:13:23 PM »

Yeah right.

How do you work that out?  Do you think it is ethical for a college to have the heating on 24/7 with windows open in the middle of summer when it is 24 degrees outside.  Or for a farmer to heat and empty shed?

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2016, 06:17:37 PM »

Yeah right.

How do you work that out?  Do you think it is ethical for a college to have the heating on 24/7 with windows open in the middle of summer when it is 24 degrees outside.  Or for a farmer to heat and empty shed?

I don't think it ethical at all, but in such cases people are not ethical.
if at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

TabClear

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2016, 06:21:25 PM »

I would say they will be 'auditing' people in the scheme to death to try and cancel contracts on any technicality.  Problem is that this will probably catch more legitimate users who've made minor mistakes than the scheme abusers as no doubt they will be able to ensure they don't get caught.

The whole thing is pathetic. Only here