Tom Cunniffe speaks...

Started by Jinxy, December 07, 2016, 09:44:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: gammysolo on December 07, 2016, 12:02:58 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on December 07, 2016, 11:56:37 AM
Quote from: gammysolo on December 07, 2016, 11:10:55 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on December 07, 2016, 10:37:08 AM
What was so bad about the Holmes & Connelly regime though?
I think it's reasonable enough for Cunniffe to suggest that maybe the issues could have been worked out without going straight for the nuclear option.

if Leroy stuck ball over when 5 points up they were on way to victory. Having said that Rochford is a way better manager

That was at the start of the second half, not the turning point despite the common refrain.

Was a good 10-15 minutes into second half. Physiologically it would have lifted Mayo even more. James McCarthy scored a minute later which was the turning point in game. Hennelly not tying his laces didnt help either for first goal. If Mayo got to final and lost would they still called for H&C to step down?

It was earlier than the 10 minute mark IIRC and who scored the next point after James McCarthy's?
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

gammysolo

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on December 07, 2016, 12:40:39 PM
I think it's reasonable enough for Cunniffe to suggest that maybe the issues could have been worked out without going straight for the nuclear option.

if Leroy stuck ball over when 5 points up they were on way to victory. Having said that Rochford is a way better manager

That was at the start of the second half, not the turning point despite the common refrain.

Was a good 10-15 minutes into second half. Physiologically it would have lifted Mayo even more. James McCarthy scored a minute later which was the turning point in game. Hennelly not tying his laces didnt help either for first goal. If Mayo got to final and lost would they still called for H&C to step down?

It was earlier than the 10 minute mark IIRC and who scored the next point after James McCarthy's?

you are correct. Paddy Durcan scored after that?

Jinxy

Whatever time it was that Keegan dropped his shot short, I distinctly remember the general reaction in my living room was, "Uh oh".
It wasn't that he missed a bread and butter kick, it was the fact that he so clearly tightened up, which indicated a fear of losing instead of a desire to win.
Keegan is one of the leaders and standard-bearers on that team so it was different than say a sub coming on and doing the same.
I think it killed Mayo's momentum, regardless of who got the next couple of scores.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Buttofthehill

Durcan scored to put Mayo 4 up before McCarthy brought it back to 3. The the roof came in. Keegan dropped it short between these two points. I think he did something similar in 2013?

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: gammysolo on December 07, 2016, 12:44:20 PM

That's right so Mayo were still 4 points to the good 20 minutes into the second half yet they lost by 7, an 11 point swing. What happened in the last 15 minutes is where the match was lost, not a kick dropped short at the start of the half. That kick has assumed legendary status, it's not responsible for an 11 point swing.

From the Bunker

Jesus wept! We are not back here again. I'm sure H & C won't thank Cunniffe for his latest thoughts on the matter going public. Or anyone else in Mayo for that matter.  It happened, people got hurt, people moved on.

Itchy

Reads like a man carrying a lot of guilt for his part in this sorry episode. I think what the players did was rotten and given they did not win Sam despite an easy route to the final last year shows that it did not work out. Personally I don't think Mayo will win Sam and last year was the best chance they will ever get to do it with this group of players. Clearly to prove me wrong the Mayo manager will have to sort out the big shots in the in panel that are calling the shots and anyone close to the thing knows who they are.

rosnarun

2012 was bay far and away the best chance so far mayo had of winning an all ireland  donegals peformances since have shown that .
but i dont think failure to win sam was the reason H&C  were removed , it was more down to the fact the players did not like the way they went about their business and the attitude towards the players and Training in general . and i think that was more H than C.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Jinxy

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on December 07, 2016, 02:44:58 PM

That's right so Mayo were still 4 points to the good 20 minutes into the second half yet they lost by 7, an 11 point swing. What happened in the last 15 minutes is where the match was lost, not a kick dropped short at the start of the half. That kick has assumed legendary status, it's not responsible for an 11 point swing.

Football isn't an exact science though.
Look at Diarmuid Connolly's missed goal attempt in the first half against Donegal in 2014.
He gets that and Dublin probably go on to win by a cricket score.
He doesn't and the rest is history.
Keegan's miss was a pivotal moment.

sid waddell

Quote from: rosnarun on December 07, 2016, 03:36:41 PM
2012 was bay far and away the best chance so far mayo had of winning an all ireland  donegals peformances since have shown that .

Donegal's performances since 2012 have done no such thing.

Only a team's performances in a particular year are relevant to how they performed in a particular year, and Donegal were as convincing an All-Ireland winning team as there has been over the last decade, and certainly the most convincing of any so far in the 2010s, more convincing than any of Dublin's. At no stage of that championship season did they look in trouble.

If you want to go into performances since 2012, their win over Dublin in 2014 confirmed them as a team who were good enough to convincingly beat the best around.

macdanger2

Quote from: Itchy on December 07, 2016, 03:29:29 PM
Reads like a man carrying a lot of guilt for his part in this sorry episode. I think what the players did was rotten and given they did not win Sam despite an easy route to the final last year shows that it did not work out. Personally I don't think Mayo will win Sam and last year was the best chance they will ever get to do it with this group of players. Clearly to prove me wrong the Mayo manager will have to sort out the big shots in the in panel that are calling the shots and anyone close to the thing knows who they are.

It's amazing how many lads on here are "close to the thing"  ::)

Itchy

Quote from: macdanger2 on December 07, 2016, 03:52:10 PM
Quote from: Itchy on December 07, 2016, 03:29:29 PM

It's amazing how many lads on here are "close to the thing"  ::)

Well Lad, All I can say is I have family in the mix in Mayo in the club of one of the former managers. Maybe that makes me biased in your eyes, fair enough. I am not going telling tales but I think most people in Mayo know who is calling the shots on the panel. Doesn't bother me one bit either way what Mayo do to resolve it.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: Jinxy on December 07, 2016, 03:37:43 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on December 07, 2016, 02:44:58 PM

Football isn't an exact science though.
Look at Diarmuid Connolly's missed goal attempt in the first half against Donegal in 2014.
He gets that and Dublin probably go on to win by a cricket score.
He doesn't and the rest is history.
Keegan's miss was a pivotal moment.

It mightn't be an exact science but it's still a science. Look at the positions Dublin took their shots from in that match, they were in the main from long range and they were never going to be able to continue with that conversation rate. In fact, they spurned much easier chances in the second half closer to goal. Connolly's missed goal attempt was a moment alright, a bigger one though was the goal they got off a breaking ball in the first half that brought them right back into the match.

Disagree that Keegan's miss was a pivotal moment, it was a moment no doubt but they still had the same commanding lead over 10 minutes later. The final 15 minutes is where the focus should be on.

Syferus

Turbo Tom is the only one of the panel to have the balls to break the omertà. The mangers last year did less wrong than Rochford did this year. The Mayo panel got what they deserved this season.

Jinxy

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on December 07, 2016, 04:19:54 PM
It mightn't be an exact science but it's still a science. Look at the positions Dublin took their shots from in that match, they were in the main from long range and they were never going to be able to continue with that conversation rate. In fact, they spurned much easier chances in the second half closer to goal. Connolly's missed goal attempt was a moment alright, a bigger one though was the goal they got off a breaking ball in the first half that brought them right back into the match.

Disagree that Keegan's miss was a pivotal moment, it was a moment no doubt but they still had the same commanding lead over 10 minutes later. The final 15 minutes is where the focus should be on.

Dublin scored 17 points in that game.
The goal would have given them extra breathing space.
It's a lot easier to keep pinging a ball over from 40m when you're 6-8 points up.