Author Topic: Gaels amalgamations  (Read 20234 times)

hurlingmad

• View Profile
Re: Gaels amalgamations
« Reply #225 on: January 11, 2017, 02:58:22 PM »
I believe that a lot of clubs are straddling the line at the moment, and that is why we're seeing all this talk about amalgamations. Amalgamations only mask the obvious reality. A lot of these clubs can't motivate players to train and are wholesale reliant on them to commit. There are no other options. Truth be told, it's a dead horse that is gone way past the point of being flogged. For comfort's sake, some clubs would be better served taking a walk down the road and joining up with the neighbour. You have some sort of chance when you have numbers. At the moment, a lot of clubs seem happy to look at the neighbour and say did you know I'm dying; well at least you'll be dead before me. The race to the bottom is well underway for some Laois clubs.

I agree with a lot of this, and another reason i would add is that rural ireland is changing, people arent having big familys anymore, in the 80s you had 4 bourke brothers playing for errill, god knows how many brothers playing for camross etc, castletown are in a rebuildig stage and its hard to see them achieve the heights thwy once did, emigration has the harps hammered, mountrath is in rapid decline underage and senior b, clonad never came back from their last senior win, trumera,shanahoe,colt, kyle simply cannot sustain themselves for another 10 years on their own, i hope i am wrong but its looming that way

maccer

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: January 11, 2017, 04:40:46 PM »
Is it time for the co board to get meaningfully involved with amalgamations? I know it may be similar to govt staying away from industrial disputes etc. but perhaps some order should be brought to these arrangements rather than the haphazard approach we've seen over the winter. If a special convention was called where the whole situation was properly debated and guidelines set down it could help. It seems to be gone beyond a club issue at the moment and the whole county set up is under serious threat. It needs leadership. Clubs either don't have the numbers or else do and don't seem to have the drive to flourish alone. It's pointless meandering along until it's suddenly too late to act

SCFC

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 17, 2017, 07:50:36 PM »
Clonaslee/Annanough is going ahead.  :o
As is Crettyard/Spink, Ballyfin/Slieve Bloom/Camross and Mountmellick/Kilcavan/Castletown.
Don't know the hurling ones.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 09:57:13 AM by SCFC »

clonadmad

• View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 17, 2017, 08:33:04 PM »
Raheen Parish Gaels hurling together from u6 to minor

Ballyroan Abbey

• View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 17, 2017, 09:01:04 PM »
Was wondering if camross would be picked up alright, they seem to have a few at minor level well capable of playing at a higher level and although camross are now a junior a team the likelyhood of them training or putting much of an effort into the football is minimal

hurlingmad

• View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 17, 2017, 09:40:00 PM »
Was wondering if camross would be picked up alright, they seem to have a few at minor level well capable of playing at a higher level and although camross are now a junior a team the likelyhood of them training or putting much of an effort into the football is minimal

Never thought i would see the day, fair play to camross opening the door for their younger members to have access to higher level football, what level will this gaels team be playing?

town1980

• View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 17, 2017, 10:52:47 PM »
Any outside bets on the 2017 Laois championship ???with all these amalgamations will they put in a shift to hit semi quarter finals?? Portlaoise the only real guaranteed semi finalists,,, predictions??

Downtheroad

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 17, 2017, 10:55:35 PM »

Never thought i would see the day, fair play to camross opening the door for their younger members to have access to higher level football, what level will this gaels team be playing?
Senior with Ballyfin

Laois fan

• View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 18, 2017, 09:42:51 AM »
Can understand most of these clubs joining up but not mountmellick they usually have a strong panel and will prob lose a lot of their fringe players now.wouldnt be the greatest fan of these amalgamations anyway,seem to be a quick fix to a much bigger problem,clubs should concentrate more on improving their juvenile standards .Also maybe I'm mistaken but I taught clonaslee and annonough didn't get on

SCFC

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 18, 2017, 10:12:28 AM »
Also maybe I'm mistaken but I taught clonaslee and annonough didn't get on
I think it's a very odd one. They played a league game last year and i think it was abandoned because of fighting!

High Fielder

• View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 18, 2017, 10:34:20 AM »
Can understand most of these clubs joining up but not mountmellick they usually have a strong panel and will prob lose a lot of their fringe players now.wouldnt be the greatest fan of these amalgamations anyway,seem to be a quick fix to a much bigger problem,clubs should concentrate more on improving their juvenile standards .Also maybe I'm mistaken but I taught clonaslee and annonough didn't get on

It's not that simple. Most clubs are existing with threadbare resources and it is very hard to motivate "fringe" players to put their shoulder to the wheel. The ones who do want to do the thing right deserve better than that. So we're not just talking about access to senior football here, but also a player's wish to be part of something credible. I agree that it is a short term solution to a long term problem, but let's be honest here, the Championship needs as much of a jolt as it can get. A lot of clubs need to think seriously about their place in the world

the sash

• View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 18, 2017, 01:19:33 PM »
While i do agree that amalgamations are the way forward in the laois senior football championship. Think there should be a limit or so on the areas that are amalgamating. I mean clonaslee is a good half hour n the rest away from vicarstown. These ones don't make sense to me.

les Antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 18, 2017, 01:34:06 PM »
Amalgamations make sense in some ways if the clubs are somewhat nearby each . Clonaslee and Annanough does not make since . I'd love to know the logic behind this one .. I was at the match last year when they tore lumps out of each and the game had to be stopped . So what's stopping Graigue joining up with Emo just for hearsay .?! There has to be certain rules and stipulations to how clubs amalgamate .

Don Draper

• View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 18, 2017, 01:42:57 PM »
I don't begrudge Donal Miller senior football at this stage of his career. He's been incredibly loyal to Annanough, and has been blackguarded by the system. That its come to an amalgamation with Clonaslee to give him senior football is an indictment of Laois GAA. It shouldn't have had to be like this. But it is, and people shouldn't be trying to put rules in place to stop it. Perhaps rules to make this thing easier would be more apt.

I wish him and the rest all the best.

les Antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 18, 2017, 01:53:01 PM »
Well if the sole reason for this amalgamation is to give Donal Miller senior football it's a sad indictment of how the club scene is run in Laois . I concur that he  deserves to be playing Senior football and has showed tremendous loyalty to his club which sadly has lacked with some players in this county particualary neighbouring clubs to Annanough . But there are many other lads in Donals position also who should be looked after and they system in place has undoubtedly prevented this .
It's just a pity this didn't happen for Miller 8-9 years ago but alas better late than ever . The rules don't make this easy .