Marky Mark and the GAA from 1 January

Started by seafoid, November 21, 2016, 04:22:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: westbound on November 24, 2016, 11:23:49 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 23, 2016, 04:13:42 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on November 23, 2016, 03:48:27 PM
I think Stephen Cluxton, and other accurate (normally!!) kick out experts might result in a few marks. It just has to be caught cleanly before it bounces, right? There's no stipulation it has to be a soaring catch to the clouds?

In that case, a  45 metre driven kick to a man running towards the sideline would also count as a mark, and I think that will be seen more than the contested high catch with the big man winning it. Half forwards and half backs might get more marks than midfielders.

Is a mark also awarded to the other team? If a kickout is caught by the opposition outside your 45, is a mark awarded then? And can they score from it?

Never thought about that. I presume so.

In that case, a kick out reaching 40 yards that is caught by opposing team basically gifts them a 40 yard free and a handy enough score. Makes you wonder why a keeper would kick long, doesn't it?

The mark only applies for kick outs that go to or past the 45m line. Therefore the closest that a free in for a mark for the opposition could possibly be is on the 45 (And usually it'd be a bit further out, so hardly a handy enough score!).
I don't know if the rule allows you to score directly from a mark, but my guess is that it does.

But the way teams/managers are risk averse at the moment, keepers are unlikely to kick out long if there is a chance that the opposition will get a free kick to attack from around halfway.

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with the mark. It could have a benefit (particularly in the short term), but in the long term I can't see how it will prevent the defensive structures/mindsets from remaining.

Does the man who claims the mark have to take the mark or can anyone take it?
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Jinxy

I think your name actually has to be Mark.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

westbound

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on November 24, 2016, 11:41:47 AM
Quote from: westbound on November 24, 2016, 11:23:49 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on November 23, 2016, 04:13:42 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on November 23, 2016, 03:48:27 PM
I think Stephen Cluxton, and other accurate (normally!!) kick out experts might result in a few marks. It just has to be caught cleanly before it bounces, right? There's no stipulation it has to be a soaring catch to the clouds?

In that case, a  45 metre driven kick to a man running towards the sideline would also count as a mark, and I think that will be seen more than the contested high catch with the big man winning it. Half forwards and half backs might get more marks than midfielders.

Is a mark also awarded to the other team? If a kickout is caught by the opposition outside your 45, is a mark awarded then? And can they score from it?

Never thought about that. I presume so.

In that case, a kick out reaching 40 yards that is caught by opposing team basically gifts them a 40 yard free and a handy enough score. Makes you wonder why a keeper would kick long, doesn't it?

The mark only applies for kick outs that go to or past the 45m line. Therefore the closest that a free in for a mark for the opposition could possibly be is on the 45 (And usually it'd be a bit further out, so hardly a handy enough score!).
I don't know if the rule allows you to score directly from a mark, but my guess is that it does.

But the way teams/managers are risk averse at the moment, keepers are unlikely to kick out long if there is a chance that the opposition will get a free kick to attack from around halfway.

I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with the mark. It could have a benefit (particularly in the short term), but in the long term I can't see how it will prevent the defensive structures/mindsets from remaining.

Does the man who claims the mark have to take the mark or can anyone take it?
Good question

The rule states the following:
"..............The player awarded a 'Mark' shall have the options of (a) Taking a free kick or (b Playing on immediately.""

That seems to suggest only the player awarded the mark can 'take' the free?
Looks like another rule open to interpretation!!!!!

Also, how 'immediate' is immediately'!!!  ;)

macdanger2

Tbf, I don't think that's open to interpretation - the player can do one of two things; giving the ball to another player to take the free isn't one of them.

What time limit is put on "immediately" will need to be defined though

twohands!!!

Quote from: macdanger2 on November 24, 2016, 12:16:32 PM
Tbf, I don't think that's open to interpretation - the player can do one of two things; giving the ball to another player to take the free isn't one of them.

What time limit is put on "immediately" will need to be defined though

The drafting/wording of so many GAA rules is absolutely terrible when you actually read the rules.

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on November 24, 2016, 11:52:18 AM
I think your name actually has to be Mark.
Gospel.

St Marks in Warrenpoint venerate high fielding already. Up Down mark quick ball into the forwards.

EagleLord

If the mark rule shows us more of this, then bring it on.

From someone who maybe knows a thing or two about it. Would love to hear what his opinion is on it. Lots of players have played top level football, then played with the mark in AFL BUT having played football, then AFL, then football, back to AFL and now back again to football, he is surely the man who would give the best insight into it.

MARTIN CLARKE

https://youtu.be/EBt4HxxQ7Vw

AZOffaly

Jesus, just read the full explanation and FAQ on this. It's going to be a mess.

tiempo

Quote from: AZOffaly on November 30, 2016, 02:23:31 PM

https://youtu.be/HySK0XAupWU

try that for an abortion of an excuse for PR

dec

http://www.gaa.ie/news/the-mark/

"In order to be awarded a "Mark", the ball must not have been touched in flight by another player."

Two players compete for the ball, both make contact with the ball but one of them comes down with the ball in his hands.
No mark?

Croí na hÉireann

Yes and no. It will be a mess the odd time it is implemented but will be far and few between as teams will still use kickouts to try and retain possession at all costs. I can't see it having any significant impact as regards changing the course that the game is currently on. As spectators we can't even get our heads around the black card after 3 years (I think) of its existence, I can already hear the apoplectic rage in the stand when the catcher goes down injured and the nearest man doesn't kick it quick enough or it goes over the bar.  :-X
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AZOffaly

Quote from: tiempo on November 30, 2016, 03:01:31 PM

In none of those would the Mark have been actually an advantage really. Like as a coach, I'm thinking risk reward here. Why would a Mark incentivise me to go long? If I have a ball winning midfielder, I'll probably try and go long to him anyway, Mark or no Mark, and use him to lay the ball off and launch attacks. If I don't have a ball winner, why would the Mark make me go long? The reward of basically a free kick 45m out from your own goals or so, is not worth the risk of the attacking team getting a Mark in the same spot. It's far more dangerous now to go long and risk a free 50 metres out from your own goal, when the reward is still a free 50 metres out from your own goal.

and the bumpf about 'signalling to the ref by stopping'! What the f**k? Could they not have come up with something better than that. You don't know for sure you are going to get the Mark in all cases (ball touched, foot inside the 45 etc), so do you risk 'stopping' and assume the ref gives it? If you are the tackling player do you lay into him to try win the ball back or do you lay off until you see if it's a mark or not?

Finally, off the top of my head, the player has 5 seconds to play the ball, and the defenders have to retreat immediately 13 metres. Can you imagine the messing that's going to be going on with kicks rebounding off retreating players, roars for 13 metre penalties etc etc? This just sounds so half baked to me. If they really wanted to reward the high catch, and bring back long kicking, reward EVERY high catch with a mark, like the Aussies do, and at least you might see lads trying to kick the ball 30 yards to a forward so he can have a shot at goal. I still wouldn't like it, and I'm not proposing it, but it would make the kicker far more likely to try it than potentially penalising him (as goalie) with a free in to the opponents 50-60 metres out from your goal.

I foresee a lot of even more detailed and safety first kickout strategies.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on November 30, 2016, 04:16:23 PM

Yes and no. It will be a mess the odd time it is implemented but will be far and few between as teams will still use kickouts to try and retain possession at all costs. I can't see it having any significant impact as regards changing the course that the game is currently on. As spectators we can't even get our heads around the black card after 3 years (I think) of its existence, I can already hear the apoplectic rage in the stand when the catcher goes down injured and the nearest man doesn't kick it quick enough or it goes over the bar.  :-X

Agreed. I just posted similar there myself before I saw your post.

twohands!!!

Quote from: tiempo on November 30, 2016, 03:01:31 PM

Pretty much half of all the catches made in the video had another player get a touch on the ball so wouldn't be legit marks.

Inexcusable stuff in the video introduction of the mark.

Ball Hopper

Play till you hear the whistle, just like always.  No whistle, no mark.  Hear a whistle, everyone stops and referee indicates spot where free kick to be taken from.  Referee starts counting down 5...4...3...2...1...0 and if free not by the time 0 is hit, ball thrown up.

What am I missing?