Northern Ireland Gaa League

Started by shitzroy, May 04, 2007, 08:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shitzroy

My local DUP concillor told me that Ian Paisley is supposed to be meeting members of the Ulster council within the next 6 months so that he can discuss restructuring of the Gaa in Northern Ieland. Apparently they want to separate the 6 counties away from the 26 and form our own northern ireland gaa championship, pulling out of the all-ireland. Counties would be restructured to make more teams like south derry and north derry etc.. This is supposedly to make the gaa more "protestant-friendly" and was even discussed during the sf/dup talks according to him. can anyone shed some light on this? and what do you all think, i wouldnt be opposed to it, it would definately stop any whinging from the southerners.

ziggysego

Total bolloxs. Where you do hear these stories?  :D
Testing Accessibility

Donagh

"6 months"?

There goes our four in a row...  :(

shitzroy

William Irwin is my nextdoor neighbour, he told me about it the other day, he was fairly adamant that it actually could happen apparently there is even some agreement about it in the ulster council too, because it would mean more funding from the government and stuff, which would mean more free diknners and trips abroad.

ziggysego

Don't be silly boy. Ain't ever going to happen. You think that the Ulster GAA Council are considering pulling the 6 counties out of the All-Ireland competition to play for a Northern Ireland competition?
Testing Accessibility

shitzroy

i dont know if theyre thinking about it or what but that is apparently what dup are pushing for and they reckon they got some agreement out of it in the talks, sure dont they have the sports minister position?

Louper

ridiculous! and prob best a good idea to stop callin northern ireland therfore recognising the partition of the country which the GAA doesnt do. officially that is.

armaghniac

Does this mean that Armagh doesn't have to play Donegal? Please can we have Down. I am sure this is right, I am glad I read it before heading off for my usual Friday date with Julia Roberts.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Square Ball

Quote from: armaghniac on May 04, 2007, 09:32:44 PM
Does this mean that Armagh doesn't have to play Donegal? Please can we have Down. I am sure this is right, I am glad I read it before heading off for my usual Friday date with Julia Roberts.

God shes a two timing hoor thon wan
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Gnevin

shitzroy is on the wind up here
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Square Ball

this is a hard one the more i think about it, there may be something here, afterall it wasnt all that long ago there was a call for more protestants to join the GAA, and if there is one thing we are good at its political timimg. cant see Ulster going to six, but something may be afoot
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

mylestheslasher

I think it is great news. Then Cavan, Monaghan and Donegal would be the only teams competing in the Ulster championship. It would be great to see Cavan excel in Ulster again with all those horible northern ireland teams gone.

southderryman

he'd fookin needa be on a wind up!

wat next?

changin the names of armagh to the orange order? tyrone inevitably being linked with sum clever name incorporatin the red hand? and......god forbid.....the whole L/derry debate!

U had better be on a fookin wind up. will the "northern ireland" championship final be played at the maze with god save that english tr**p instead of Amhán Na bhFiann?? why dont we go all out and just play soccer or hockey instead and wave "5711" banners everywher!!  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Fishead_Sam

Im pretty sure one or two of the Leitrim lads that won the Connacht Title in 1994 wher Protestants, the present County structure wasn't considered Protestant Unfriendly to them, actually if anyone knows those players names can they remind me, this was an old fact! that was stored in the back of my head which has just sprung after 13 years since that nighmare period of 4-5 years, when we lost to Leitrim in Connacht Final, lost to Cork in All-Ireland Semi by 5-10 to 0.15(or somthing like that), Castlebar Mitchells where beaten by even more in the All-Ireland Club Final by Nemo Rangers and Galway actually managed to "bate Mayo" as per the Saw Doctors song of that period and Roscommonn where better than us, the Rossies & Leitrim put up far better opposition to Meath & Dublin than we did to Cork in the Semis, Brian McDonald had Mayo pushing cars around carparks & Jack O'Sea was wearing Kerry socks when he was managing us against Kerry in the league. O what a dark dark time.

BallyhaiseMan

Sure why dont we just burn all the tricolours,Ban the singing of our national anthem,Fly the Union Flag and sing GSTQ and Let the whole island join the UK ,Also the that leprechaun language Irish should be banned aswell.we can eat Tea and Crumpets should be served during half time aswell,and it should be made obligatory that when address another fan, you start with "Jolly good show i must say".
Bollox

Southderryman whats a "5711 banner"?  ???