County Final Attendances

Started by Lone Shark, November 01, 2016, 03:01:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lone Shark

Ahoy,

Looking for a bit of collaborative help from the board here, for the purposes of something I'm writing. All bar the very last of the county finals have been played by now and I'm curious as to the attendances, and the average that exists across the country for these games. A few were surprisingly high, others were lower than I thought. However it would be nice to get the full picture - so if people could help me fill in the gaps here, that would be great. I'm only including the McCarthy Cup counties in hurling, since it would be a bit of a misnomer to include county finals like Leitrim or Sligo hurling, or Kilkenny football for that matter.

Ye might just mention if there were any particularly unusual circumstances either, if aware - for example if they played a Limerick final on the same day Munster were playing in Thomond, or if the game threw in any time other than a Sunday afternoon. Similarly, if ye're aware that an attendance was a couple of thousand higher or lower than the norm for some reason, let me know.

Thanks kindly!!

Leinster

Dublin F -          H -
Wicklow F -
Louth F -
Wexford F -        H -
Kilkenny H - 9130
Carlow F -        H -
Meath F - 6000
Westmeath F - 5772     H -
Offaly F - 5519      H - 6675
Longford F - 3000 (estimate)
Laois F -      H -
Kildare F - 5000 (estimate)

Munster

Cork F -       H -
Kerry F -  6713    H - 3250 (draw - estimate) 2745 (replay)
Tipperary F - 1257    H - 6546
Waterford F -     H -
Clare F -      H - 5036 (draw) 5058 (replay)
Limerick F -     H -

Ulster

Fermanagh F - 3400
Donegal F - 7860
Down F -
Derry F - 4374
Cavan F - 8600
Monaghan F - 4000 (estimate)
Armagh F - 6390
Tyrone F - 8800 (estimate)
Antrim F - 2700

Connacht

Galway F -       H - 5237
Mayo F - 5375
Roscommon F - 1800 (estimate)
Sligo F -
Leitrim F -
London F -

blewuporstuffed

I think the Tyrone final was something like 8800 for the first game, and less for the replay. these would have been lower than usual as the first game was shown live on TV and the replay was a on a friday night.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Horse Box

Was at the Tipp Football Final but didn`t get the official attendance but would reckon it was around 1500 .

muppet

Dunno if this is of interest to you LS but there were 12,165 online viewers for the Mayo Intermediate and Senior Finals.

http://www.localstreaming.club/the-stats-12165-viewers-from-48-countries-incredible/
MWWSI 2017

armaghniac

Quote from: muppet on November 01, 2016, 04:58:47 PM
Dunno if this is of interest to you LS but there were 12,165 online viewers for the Mayo Intermediate and Senior Finals.

http://www.localstreaming.club/the-stats-12165-viewers-from-48-countries-incredible/

The Armagh streaming crashed, owing to overload, but not sure how many that was.
Definitely a factor vs no streaming though.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Jinxy

I always wondered why more publicity was not given to the attendances at county finals.
Get some great crowds at this time of year.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Rossfan

The oul' media wouldn't be long telling us when there's virtually nobody at a game though.
Serious crowds at Westmeath football and the 2 Offaly Finals considering the populations.
As was Kilkenny final but that's to be expected.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Ball Hopper

Kerry F -  6713    H - Draw 3250 (estimate) Replay 2745.  Drop of c.500 for the replay.  Replay was on a Saturday evening at 5pm with no curtain-raiser.  The minor hurling county final that was curtain-raiser on the day of the drawn game featured two different clubs to those that contested the senior final.

Lone Shark

Great stuff lads - keep it coming.

I noted the online stuff with interest all right - I suspect a lot more county boards are going to go down that route. If there is a potential audience of 10k+, then surely county boards will realise that there is probably at least 1,000 - 2,000 of those who would pay a fiver to view it.

I checked out the Tipp football final again and found a number of 1257 on the Nationalist site. That looks like it'll be the lowest in the country - though relegating it to Cashel and playing it the same day as a great game between Sars and Ballygunner at Semple didn't help.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Rossfan on November 01, 2016, 05:35:09 PM
The oul' media wouldn't be long telling us when there's virtually nobody at a game though.
Serious crowds at Westmeath football and the 2 Offaly Finals considering the populations.
Was apparently over 5,000 at the Roscommon county last year in Hyde park a big drop in attendance figures this year. Is because of the tv coverage or Kiltoom doesn't draw a big crowd?

Lone Shark

Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 01, 2016, 06:11:34 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on November 01, 2016, 05:35:09 PM
Was apparently over 5,000 at the Roscommon county last year in Hyde park a big drop in attendance figures this year. Is because of the tv coverage or Kiltoom doesn't draw a big crowd?

I don't think that's correct. I can't remember the exact number but one of the local papers reported it as around 3,000 - and I do remember being stunned by how low the number was, given that you had two huge clubs in the final both without a win either in a long time or ever, a 50/50 game, and in a county that generally has a large number of football supporters.

Rossfan

Ros Co Finals seldom cross 3,000. The first year Elphin got to the Final in ages got around 4k.
Was it 2004 Ros Gaels v Kilbride didn't even get 1,000.
Unlike some Counties - in Ros the Final isn't a day out for everyone.
Also the fact that most Senior Finals don't have teams from the north few northerners bother going.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

I'd say 5000 might be a bit of a low estimate for the Kildare final as the terraces were fairly full, more than what would be at inter county matches for the last few years. I would reckon it was around 6000.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPTOwrTr1fE

Try spot the penalty.

stiffler

Do the attendance figures include u16s, or is it only paying attendees ?
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

macdanger2

5300 for Mayo is very poor considering it was a double header with the Intermediate and that Castlebar were playing at home. Attendances would have been much higher 10-15 years back. The expected one-sided nature of the match may have played a part. Prices were 15 for adult, 10 for students/oap, 5 for u16 and free for u14