A Tyrone book

Started by seafoid, October 23, 2016, 12:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: Take Your Points on November 03, 2016, 08:10:33 PM
Does anyone know the payback on authoring a book?  Do you depend mostly on the size of the advance?

Surely, to make a reasonable income, sales would need to exceed 100K.  The cost of hardback and softback print editions must be very high, the loss expected on pulping or bargain binning a significant percentage would raise costs and the return from highly discounted eBooks would be low per copy.
Ebooks don't have print costs.margins are probabl'y better

Take Your Points

2015 was a bumper year for book sales in Ireland with a 11% increase from 2014.  The best sellers were:

The Girl on the Train (60,476 sales)
Grandpa's Great Escape, the latest David Walliams (44,100)
Animal Activities in the Woods (36,000);
Old School: Diary of a Wimpy Kid, the latest Jeff Kinney (33,100)
Grey: Fifty Shades of Grey as Told by Christian (27,696);
Anne Enright's The Green Road (27,300);
Joe Duffy's The Children of the Rising (26,000);
Irelandopedia by John and Fatti Burke(23,300);
Until Victory Always by Jim McGuinness and Keith Duggan (23,100);
Brooklyn by Colm Tóibín (22,600).

Not a lot of books are sold in Ireland per annum.

muppet

Quote from: Take Your Points on November 03, 2016, 11:05:06 PM
2015 was a bumper year for book sales in Ireland with a 11% increase from 2014.  The best sellers were:

The Girl on the Train (60,476 sales)
Grandpa's Great Escape, the latest David Walliams (44,100)
Animal Activities in the Woods (36,000);
Old School: Diary of a Wimpy Kid, the latest Jeff Kinney (33,100)
Grey: Fifty Shades of Grey as Told by Christian (27,696);
Anne Enright's The Green Road (27,300);
Joe Duffy's The Children of the Rising (26,000);
Irelandopedia by John and Fatti Burke(23,300);
Until Victory Always by Jim McGuinness and Keith Duggan (23,100);
Brooklyn by Colm Tóibín (22,600).

Not a lot of books are sold in Ireland per annum.

Is that inclusive of eBooks?
MWWSI 2017

Take Your Points

Not sure but it is provided by Neilson who are providers of book sales data to the publishing industry.

Check out the weekly sales figures provided by them:

https://www.writing.ie/category/news/irish-bestseller-lists/

muppet

Quote from: Take Your Points on November 03, 2016, 11:20:55 PM
Not sure but it is provided by Neilson who are providers of book sales data to the publishing industry.

Check out the weekly sales figures provided by them:

https://www.writing.ie/category/news/irish-bestseller-lists/

D'oh.

There goes get rich quick plan #2.

How big is the Euromillions?
MWWSI 2017

Take Your Points

How much do you earn from writing a book?  From http://www.writersservices.com/resources/advances-royalties-inside-publishing

Writers are generally paid a royalty based on their book sales. Publishers usually offer to pay authors advances against royalties. The general advice is to insist on an advance if at all possible.  An advance is literally an advance payment and royalties on sales of the book are set against it. It is not normally refundable, provided that the author fulfils their part of the contract.

If the book is written and doesn't need more work, then the advance might be paid in two parts, on signature and publication. The royalties can be based either on a percentage of the published price of the book or on what is called the 'price received', i.e. a percentage of the publisher's receipts from the booksellers, which is a much lower figure.

There's also a tendency in trade publishing to move towards price received, because of the high discounts publishers give booksellers and because publishers would prefer to pay a royalty based on a lower figure.

Publishers sell books to booksellers at a discount off the published price, which can vary from 35% for small independent bookshops to 60%, 70% or even higher, for the chains, the supermarkets and online booksellers, which buy in bulk. So with a typical 50% discount on a book retailing through the bookshop chains at £20, the publisher would get £10 from the bookseller to cover all their costs, including the author's royalties, their overheads and distribution, and the production cost of the book. Their margins really are quite tight.

Many publishers believe that the UK has the highest discounts in the world, but discounts are under pressure in all the major English-speaking countries, as publishers and booksellers try to maintain their margins.

Hardback royalties on the published price of trade books usually range from 10% to 12.5%, with 15% for big authors. On paperback it is usually 7.5% to 10%, going up to 12.5% only in exceptional cases. Other kinds of publishers will offer lower royalties, often based on the price received. High discounts paid to supermarkets, chains or online booksellers will invoke the 'high discount' clause, meaning that the author will get a considerably lower royalty on copies sold this way.

Royalties are often on a sliding scale, which is to say that you might be offered 7.5% to 10,000 and 10% thereafter on a paperback edition.

23,100 sales for Jim McGuinness at an assumed average of £10 per copy across all formats would have provided a gross of £231,000.  7.5% on first 10,000 or £100,000 would be £7,500 and 10% on remaining 13,100 copies or £131,000 would give £13,100.  So the joint authors may have taken £20,500 between them. 

seafoid

Quote from: Take Your Points on November 03, 2016, 11:42:18 PM
How much do you earn from writing a book?  From http://www.writersservices.com/resources/advances-royalties-inside-publishing

Writers are generally paid a royalty based on their book sales. Publishers usually offer to pay authors advances against royalties. The general advice is to insist on an advance if at all possible.  An advance is literally an advance payment and royalties on sales of the book are set against it. It is not normally refundable, provided that the author fulfils their part of the contract.

If the book is written and doesn't need more work, then the advance might be paid in two parts, on signature and publication. The royalties can be based either on a percentage of the published price of the book or on what is called the 'price received', i.e. a percentage of the publisher's receipts from the booksellers, which is a much lower figure.

There's also a tendency in trade publishing to move towards price received, because of the high discounts publishers give booksellers and because publishers would prefer to pay a royalty based on a lower figure.

Publishers sell books to booksellers at a discount off the published price, which can vary from 35% for small independent bookshops to 60%, 70% or even higher, for the chains, the supermarkets and online booksellers, which buy in bulk. So with a typical 50% discount on a book retailing through the bookshop chains at £20, the publisher would get £10 from the bookseller to cover all their costs, including the author's royalties, their overheads and distribution, and the production cost of the book. Their margins really are quite tight.

Many publishers believe that the UK has the highest discounts in the world, but discounts are under pressure in all the major English-speaking countries, as publishers and booksellers try to maintain their margins.

Hardback royalties on the published price of trade books usually range from 10% to 12.5%, with 15% for big authors. On paperback it is usually 7.5% to 10%, going up to 12.5% only in exceptional cases. Other kinds of publishers will offer lower royalties, often based on the price received. High discounts paid to supermarkets, chains or online booksellers will invoke the 'high discount' clause, meaning that the author will get a considerably lower royalty on copies sold this way.

Royalties are often on a sliding scale, which is to say that you might be offered 7.5% to 10,000 and 10% thereafter on a paperback edition.

23,100 sales for Jim McGuinness at an assumed average of £10 per copy across all formats would have provided a gross of £231,000.  7.5% on first 10,000 or £100,000 would be £7,500 and 10% on remaining 13,100 copies or £131,000 would give £13,100.  So the joint authors may have taken £20,500 between them.
I don't think it's about the money. Books bring people places. They raise profiles and lead to other stuff

Take Your Points

Ghostwriters must make some money or be given a higher portion of the royalties. 

The Subbie

Just read it, it's a pedestrian, cliche ridden , self promotion excercise.

WT4E

Couldn't bring myself to buy the book but got my hands on a digital bootleg copy ad I'm about 6 chapters in. Before any scandal about McCarron I had heard a good few stories and never liked him for it then all the scandal came out and that didn't help but before I started the book I still remained open to the possibility that I'd maybe judged too early and I would read the book and take a different view of the lad. If that was the case I said I'll buy the book and give it to someone.

My money is safe.

I had a feeling it was another con job and thats how I feel when reading it. Mickey Harte is rarely taken for a fool but Cathal McCarron has pulled it off!!!

rodney trotter

Why would anyone buy it. He shouldn't be making a penny out of it.

paddyjohn

I've read the book, finished it last night. Found it a tough enough read for the first few chapters and thought that it was going to be good read the whole way, but it wasn't. It seemed to be everybody else faults and how he was the victim.

Oisin McConvilles book was a different kettle of fish totally. I felt genuine sorrow when I read it and what he came through. McCarron just seems to want to pass the blame on to his Mum & Dad.

Gambling addiction is a terrible illness to happen to anybody or family as I know from personal experience, when it came to my door the person in question was remorseful, put their hands up and got whatever help they needed.

5 Sams

Quote from: longballin on November 02, 2016, 05:57:31 PM
Word is McCarron has pulled out of Nolan Show due to illness... will probably be on at a later date then...  ???

Good to see he has recovered enough to be at the All Stars tonight.
The Aristocrat Years

rodney trotter

McConvilles is a good read. His success with Crossmaglen and Armagh too.

McCarrons antics were fairly recent. Why not wait till he retired from County football, and bring his book out. It's like a quick fix for all the money he blew gambling.

Il Bomber Destro

Quite an explosive revelation tonight by Gilroy.

I think it shows that those of us who were cynical to the father's protestations about duty to his daughter were correct when he is bringing that type of information to the public light and shedding yet more spotlight on the matter certainly is not good for his daughter.

The father seems to be on a crusade to crucify McCarron, rightfully or wrongly.