Author Topic: Mobile Phone Networks  (Read 1004 times)

Timber Time

• View Profile
Mobile Phone Networks
« on: October 19, 2016, 04:34:37 PM »
I'm in an area with very poor mobile coverage but have good broadband
Was told that the EE phones will work off any broadband connection to make and receive calls
I've had the sure signal box with vodafone and TUGO with 02. TUGO was temperamental on the Samsung Galaxy with the added hassle of getting messages twice once you got a network signal

Anyone use this feature on EE and any experience/reccomendations?
Do you need to download and app or once you are connected to broadband does it just treat it as a Mobile signal ready to make/receive calls?

Onthe40

• View Profile
Re: Mobile Phone Networks
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 12:32:34 PM »
folks
anyone on EE mobile network. if so hows the coverage, happy with performance etc?

Been. traditional O2 & Vodafone user and thinking of changing

Phone resellers doing a decent job of flaunting EE saying it counts for 60% usage of all networks in NI

Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 02:57:10 PM »
I would be sceptical about the 60% EE usage in NI however I would not advise O2 - service is shocking in a lot of areas and goes down too much for my liking

Onthe40

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 03:22:18 PM »
currently on O2 and its just ok, was on Vodafone and it was worse tbh

Fionntamhnach

• "Hey Lawrence..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 03:50:03 PM »
I'm currently using ID Mobile, which is a Virtural Network (MVNO) that uses 3's network for capacity and coverage. Just been with them for a month now and so far I'm happy enough with the service, especially as they offer WiFi calling/VoWiFi and 4G calling over 3's "extended" network coverage which can reach many areas its traditional 3G/4G network can't.
Saying that, all network will have black spots of coverage and within NI coverage for 2G/3G & 4G is essentially "complete" for now as the big concentration for networks is now 5G - however its coverage in the north is very limited at present.
All the main networks offer WiFi calling (VoWiFi) and 4G calling (VoLTE) but only 3 offer it for prepaid/PAYG customers, Vodafone, O2 and EE only provide it for postpaid customers with a handset or sim-only, and in all cases a compatible handset is required to make use of it. VoLTE will offer better 4G coverage than standard for EE & 3 customers as they can use lower frequency spectrum than is used by them as standard (800MHz as opposed to 1800/2100MHz). The only virtual networks I know that offer VoWiFi & VoLTE are BT (via EE) and ID Mobile (via 3).

No way has EE got 60% usage in NI - O2 probably has, Ofcom used to publish statistics of the share of users of mobile networks in NI until about three years ago and O2 were often over 60%, EE were often around 10%.

"I can't be arsed any more; too much ignorance, bigotry, dogma, idiocy & retreat from reason"

Onthe40

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2020, 04:14:58 PM »
so the consensus is - stay O2 for now

Fionntamhnach

• "Hey Lawrence..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2020, 04:20:38 PM »
so the consensus is - stay O2 for now

If O2 works fine, then unless you get offered a very good deal elsewhere I'd say it's better the devil you know.
"I can't be arsed any more; too much ignorance, bigotry, dogma, idiocy & retreat from reason"

Capt Pat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2021, 12:14:35 AM »
I want to  give my mobile number to someone in the uk in a form. I want to include the internationl dialing code 00 353. My mobile number is 085........ Do I drop the 0 from 085 to make 00 353 85....... or is 00 353 085....... the correct way of doing it.

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2021, 12:22:40 AM »
I want to  give my mobile number to someone in the uk in a form. I want to include the internationl dialing code 00 353. My mobile number is 085........ Do I drop the 0 from 085 to make 00 353 85....... or is 00 353 085....... the correct way of doing it.

Drop the zero
IN fact +35385 xxx xxxx would be the most international approach, as it would work even in a country where the Intl access code was not 00, e.g. USA.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Capt Pat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2021, 12:25:04 AM »

Drop the zero
IN fact +35385 xxx xxxx would be the most international approach, as it would work even in a country where the Intl access code was not 00, e.g. USA.

Thanks for that.