Author Topic: CPA (Club Players Association)  (Read 9165 times)

magpie seanie

• View Profile
Re: CPA (Club Players Association)
« Reply #120 on: January 10, 2017, 02:35:50 PM »
Call it OTT Seanie, but in my experience the overarching reason for creating a union is to force the balance of power. That "force" might be achieved through negotiation but it's the overwhelming impact of what a union can do (or threaten to do) that changes the balance of power.

From my perspective personally i blame clubs much more for the current mess than I blame county boards, provincial boards or the GAA.

It is the clubs that refuse to fulfil fixtures without their County players, the clubs that refuse to play league games ahead of championship games, the clubs who seek a match postponement because a squad player's great aunt has died, it's the clubs who will ultimately try to split a player in two.

from what I can see, the CPA is going to continue to fight those corners, rather than find compromise.

I don't agree. From my experience there's very little clubs can do. County boards facilitate and agree to every request from the county team set up no matter what prior agreements were in place. Certainly there's no question here of not fulfilling fixtures here in Sligo - hefty fines are imposed if that happens.
Seanie, you said "No one can deny there's a crisis", but if it's your experience in Sligo that most club fixtures get fulfilled as planned, what exactly is the fixture crisis in Sligo?

I didn't say "fulfilled as planned" - that's not the case. There is a plan at the start of the year and it gets altered to suit the county team as and when is required. The games might still be fixed and the clubs have to play them or get fined. I could write pages about this on Sligo alone - a small county with very little hurling where fixture planning should be simple.

In a way you've answered your own question. Fixtures are "fulfilled" and that's all that matters to the powers that be. Tick the box and move on.

You're surely not denying there's a crisis?

Hound

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 10, 2017, 02:57:30 PM »

You're surely not denying there's a crisis?

I go to almost every game my club's first team plays. Over the next few weeks the Dublin County Board will issue a master fixture list outlining every league game (date, time, venue) that my club will play with also plans for when championship will be played.

I put them into my calendar and try to avoid having holdidays / weekends away clashing with them.

The last 2 league games usually happen after Dublin exit the championship as they are the only league games the clubs are allowed to postpone if they don't have their county players available. So as championship also needs to get played at this time, there can be uncertainty re the games in October and November. But the first 13 league games pretty much run like clockwork with the odd exception for bad weather etc.

There's no "crisis" in Dublin club football, in my experience of following a senior team, and Dublin has got propbably the hardest job with a successful intercounty football team and most clubs being dual clubs.

Although as I mentioned, the abolition of replays would help matters because the club championship takes place too late in the year and always has the feeling of being rushed. Abolishing replays and playing more games on Saturdays would allow the All Ireland final to be brought forward by 3 or 4 weeks and then we could run off the club championship in a more civilised manner. 

The Trap

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 10, 2017, 03:13:23 PM »
You are lucky Hound....in Tyrone we don't even know when the first league game will be until a couple of weeks beforehand and then that will be cancelled if the Under 21s do well or the Seniors are in a National League play off game!

magpie seanie

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 10, 2017, 03:22:56 PM »
That's great Hound but I'd suggest that it's not typical of most counties. Also, what % of league games would a senior team have their county players for?

Jinxy

• View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 10, 2017, 03:32:30 PM »
Dublin is great.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Crete Boom

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 10, 2017, 04:00:58 PM »
Is the Dublin Championship not straight knockout?

One and done per say and you go into a B championship or something when you are knocked out which could be as early as April or May??

I must admit I only heard this on Off the Ball one night so I would be interested to know if this is at all true!!

Croí na hÉireann

• There's Always Next Year...
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 10, 2017, 05:13:11 PM »
Dublin Championship was straight knockout last year alright but may be changing this year. What Hound says is true, league postponements are a rarity. If both teams want to move a fixture it has to be within 7 days. If your pitch is unplayable you have to play at your opponents pitch. When the clocks go back senior and intermediate league games are played on Saturday evenings and all the junior divisions on Sunday mornings and afternoon. What is an afterthought though is the minor and the u21 championships, typically played in November after the adult championships.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

magpie seanie

• View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 10, 2017, 05:14:37 PM »
And do clubs have their county players? In a county with a straight knockout the clubs really should have heir county lads for a high % of them.

Croí na hÉireann

• There's Always Next Year...
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 10, 2017, 05:19:35 PM »
And do clubs have their county players? In a county with a straight knockout the clubs really should have heir county lads for a high % of them.

Here and there. Just had a quick look at my calendar from last year, of the 7 NFL weekends, there was club football scheduled on 4 of them weekends so there is 4 right there they wouldn't have been available for.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

galwayman

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 10, 2017, 05:26:47 PM »
There is absolutely no reason to hold up league football due to the county game.
Play the games away during the summer every weekend.
I can't understand why this doesn't happen.
So what if clubs have to play league games without their county players?
It's the league. Championship is the primary competition.
In Galway certainly anyway the league has no bearing on a clubs championship grade.

Zulu

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 10, 2017, 08:50:01 PM »
I find the reaction to this from some to be fairly odd. The sly digs at the GPA are tiresomely expected but if this is to be effective then it will have to become like the GPA. Anyone who thinks an organisation that is to represent tens of thousands of players in multiple counties with markedly different challenges without a large budget and professional leadership is bonkers. Unfortunately this body is required and I hope it's a success. The GPA was required for IC players and were dead right not to represent club players and we do need a club players association too who can concentrate on the club game.

joemamas

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 10, 2017, 09:45:23 PM »
Zulu,

Your point about the need for organizing is well made, however what exactly does the GPA stand for and who is it supposed to benefit, who really benefits from it, and lastly roughly what % of IC players truly benefit from it.

Loaded Q's maybe, but my antenna went up on this organization, a few years back when Mayo played NY in the Connacht Championship in NY. As far as I am aware, the GPA sent a retired Dublin player and a retired Kildare player out to NY as representatives. Now I don't begrudge them in one bit, as they sure put some serious time in on the field, but were there no retired players in the province of Connacht that could have been sent out. To me it smelt of eliteism. I hope I am wrong on this.

I totally understand where the CPA wants to go on this and I support them, and no to digress, but I hope it shows up the provincial councils for what they are when it comes to fixtures. Two months to play six games in some provinces, they could easily be played in half the time.
Throw in the tradition of The all-Ireland finals being played four weeks after a semi-final and it is a no brainer what needs to be done.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 09:52:14 PM by joemamas »

Zulu

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 10, 2017, 10:35:15 PM »
Joe, the GPA represent the inter county player and were desperately needed at a time when the GAA treated players terribly. The currently pioneer educational and business programs for players as well as advising them on their commercial value which are all worthwhile programs for lads who give up so much to represent our counties. There has always been elitism in the GAA and looking after our elite players is a worthwhile investment. We need to compete in the modern real world not the world we'd like it to be.

INDIANA

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 10, 2017, 10:36:58 PM »
I find the reaction to this from some to be fairly odd. The sly digs at the GPA are tiresomely expected but if this is to be effective then it will have to become like the GPA. Anyone who thinks an organisation that is to represent tens of thousands of players in multiple counties with markedly different challenges without a large budget and professional leadership is bonkers. Unfortunately this body is required and I hope it's a success. The GPA was required for IC players and were dead right not to represent club players and we do need a club players association too who can concentrate on the club game.

The way forward is to exclude county players from club football. Then you have a completely uninterrupted club season.

And it will be the end game on this . Mark my words. This is just a temporary ripple in the pond.

The Trap

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 10, 2017, 10:50:39 PM »
How many players would choose to play for their county and not play for the club?