Author Topic: Under 12 championships - no more Go Games  (Read 891 times)

Downtheroad

• View Profile
Re: Under 12 championships - no more Go Games
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2017, 08:26:10 PM »
Has anyone else heard the rule change at Under 12 level that 13 a side championships are to be allowed run in football and hurling thus doing away with the Go Games format at U12 level, which has been pared back to U11 level?
I think the background to this is that underage is going to u13,15,17 in some if not all counties.It's is a good idea where there will be a clear divide between underage and adult so that both can run without interference with each other as happens at the moment. We all know the problem with minors playing too many games. 

manfromdelmonte

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2017, 08:29:39 PM »
Has anyone else heard the rule change at Under 12 level that 13 a side championships are to be allowed run in football and hurling thus doing away with the Go Games format at U12 level, which has been pared back to U11 level?
I think the background to this is that underage is going to u13,15,17 in some if not all counties.It's is a good idea where there will be a clear divide between underage and adult so that both can run without interference with each other as happens at the moment. We all know the problem with minors playing too many games.
In most counties most minors don't play enough.gsmes

Avondhu star

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Today at 10:05:30 AM »
The one big issue not being addressed is the loss of players particularly when they enter secondary school. If kids dont get game time they will quickly go off the sport and find something else to do. Coaches and managers really dont care about losing weaker young lads as long as they can field a team and supplement a panel by bringing up a strong player from a younger age group. There are plenty so called weaker lads though who stuck with it and developed into fine players as they grew physically.
i think thats where internal competitions such as schools leagues should come into it. Kids don't really mind who they are playing as long as they are getting a game . Games should be competitive but not necessarily with in structured competitions
From a parents viewpoint there is nothing worse than rushing from work on a Summer evening in order to get lads to matches half way across the county or even locally and the lad doesnt even get a run out maybe because of big panels or the coach bringing up a stronger player from a younger team. I can understand why young lads would walk away. There is nothing wrong with competition but participation is also important

johnneycool

• who loves ya baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Today at 04:29:29 PM »
First I've heard of it  but if true it's a step in the right direction. Competitiveness is natural to that age group, let them play and experience winning but more importantly losing. GoGames is a fantastic initiative but I think U12 is a bit too old to ask kids to play non competitively.

Kids are inherently competitive and that should never be stymied, but its the behaviour of parents and coaches are the worry.

With Go games coaches are more inclined to give the weaker lads a run out as it doesn't matter in terms of who scored what plus parents especially of the stronger kids are more inclined to see past their wee Jonny not getting to do everything in pursuit of a "victory".

Remove that and there's now pressure on coaches and d**khead parents putting pressure on their kids to chase a bit of tin at the end of the year.

Wee Jonny should have taken that free you know.