Author Topic: Laois Senior Football 2017  (Read 29481 times)

steven seagal

• View Profile
Re: Laois Senior Football 2017
« Reply #195 on: January 10, 2017, 10:24:58 AM »
Wasn't it St Brigid's that brought their U-14 team away for a training camp before the File a few years ago? Plenty of notions up there. The idea of playing football just to enjoy it seems to be dying out, which is very sad I think

Tony

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: January 10, 2017, 11:47:11 AM »
It is going a bit far in my opinion. Reading that contract is like reading a work contract. Clubs ought to remember that lads are getting zero pay for this. They also should be careful what they wish for. Giving your players a nice amount of flexibility to enjoy their life outside GAA is surely better than players not showing up next year as it is too strict & they don't have a life outside GAA (like some potential Laois players and other county pleyers have done).

Of course, a good balance can be achieved. But this is taking the fun out of it - lads have 40 hour work week, too. They don't want to be signing up for another work contract that they don't get paid for. At the end of the day, as an earlier poster commented : playing GAA is a hobby and should be fun, first and foremost. Of course it's nice to have a dedicated panel but a panel that is not enjoying themselves will not succeed.

Keyser Sze

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 10, 2017, 05:58:32 PM »
TBH, there is very little in the document that wouldn't be expected of most serious Senior Club footballers.
The story really is that it was "written down" in the form of a "contract".
It's probably some manager wanting to make an early impression that has backfired.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Junior Ex Laoistalk

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: January 11, 2017, 12:53:34 AM »
Brilliant Monument Road, just had to put them both up together...

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Junior Ex Laoistalk

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: January 11, 2017, 12:59:53 AM »
Back to more serious things, here is the team for tomorrow night v Wicklow..

High Fielder

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 11, 2017, 11:19:36 PM »
A game of two halves this evening. They played with the wind and the slope in the first half, and individual mistakes from us handed them a half time lead. Our full back line looked dodgy under the high ball, but in fairness, I'm not sure any of the three who were in there are suited to those positions. Second half and our superior ability and athleticism took over. They too looked vulnerable at the back and we were kicking some nice scores. They offered little against the breeze and up the slope.

Best for us Begley, Jamie Farrell and O Connor, but that's just my opinion. I'd like to see us more patient with ball in hand, but overall, we looked much better than Wicklow. The incident for the sending off happened off the ball and there were a couple of other skirmishes, but it was mostly played in good spirit. The bobble on the pitch caught both sides out at times, but it's January and you'll get that. The players look happy and committed, and that'll do for me.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 11, 2017, 11:52:56 PM »
Good win and it makes for a great tussle against Meath in Stradbally at the weekend. Is O'Loughlin on the panel or what's going on there ??
Who was sent off tonight??

Don Draper

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 12, 2017, 12:40:33 AM »
Good win and it makes for a great tussle against Meath in Stradbally at the weekend. Is O'Loughlin on the panel or what's going on there ??
Who was sent off tonight??
Johns grandmother passed away this week, she's responsible for quite a lot of footballers in this county.

Doran got the red.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 12, 2017, 01:08:32 AM »
Thanks Don. Pity about Doran's red, he played very well last Saturday and seems to be a good addition to the panel.

Unlaoised

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 12, 2017, 09:49:56 AM »
Decent performance tonight in the second half the first half we struggled with the conditions .

Ruairi O'connor was excellent a constant thorn in the Wicklow defence I think he ended up with 1-5 in the end.

Farrell was also a standout  he showed great composure on the ball that others didn't

Colm Begley looks in great shape and as fit as ever.He is a great tackler and this often gets over looked when people talk about him and how he plays.

Donie was in and out of it and Meaney still hasn't shaken off the rustiness as regards judging the catch but that will come.

Gary walsh took his goal well.

Doran will be dissapointed with the red the Wicklow guy beside me said he struck out alright I didn't see it he was playing well up to that.

Others to impress its hard to say they did all try hard ...Lillis not suited to full back and looked a bit of the pace but thats understandable with being only back in and would prob better with Brody behind him .Kehoe didn't do much wrong but Brody is a far better vocally .

That said Timmons is a massive loss to the full back line and we will need to get someone in their soon to fill the gap.

Hard to know what work Wicklow have done but Laois looked a yard faster and fitter all over the field.

I lost track of the subs that came in and to be honest I was so cold I left before we got the last 3 points.

One things for sure Gareth Dillion is not cut out for corner back but God the boy gives everything.

Infact Laois as a team are as hungry as I've seen them since Mcnulty .

Meath will be an altogether different test on saturday I see they had nearly 4,000 at their game again.

Will Stradbally be suitable to hold this game now if say Meath bring down 800-1200 ?Which they could as there is a massive buzz up there in the county with all their big wins in friendlies before christmas.
LAOIS AB

redsetanta

• View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 12, 2017, 10:47:02 AM »
Very good score to put up at this time of year.

Saturday night will be tasty now as Meath really fancy themselves this year and McEntee seems to have everyone on board including the supporters who are attending in big numbers. It's the O'Byrne cu p but I would think this game will be as close to a league encounter as you'll get so we'll learn alot more from Laois. Expect a hard hitting game with plenty of good football and our lads will have to be on the ball from the start as Meath are flying at the minute.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

ILikeStrawberryJam

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 12, 2017, 11:33:11 AM »
Thanks for the match reports lads .. Thinking of going along Saturday .. will Stradbally take a couple of thousand supporters?
Is there a bit of a stand there?

steven seagal

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 12, 2017, 12:29:40 PM »
No, there are two banks either side of the pitch, and one narrow road in and out of the place, which will make any sort of crowd attending a traffic nightmare. You'll be as well off parking somewhere on the main street and walking up, I would think.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 12, 2017, 02:13:44 PM »
It's a disaster fixing that match for Stradbally, no way will it take the crowds that will attend this one. Hope sense prevails and its moved to O'Moore Park before it's too late.

Here is a report on the game from Leinster Express..
http://www.leinsterexpress.ie/news/sport/230617/o-byrne-cup-laois-make-it-two-wins-from-two-as-they-see-off-wicklow.html