Connacht Club Championships 2016

Started by revsperminute, October 07, 2016, 01:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: macdanger2 on November 07, 2016, 06:35:31 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 07, 2016, 04:07:49 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on November 06, 2016, 10:01:19 PM
Technically Mchale park isn't Castlebar's home ground (since that's owned by the CB) but it defacto is their home ground. This wasn't changed to circumvent Connacht council rules though, I'm sure it's the same in many county grounds around the country.

The spirit of the rule should probably be respected though and the game be played at a neutral venue.

If people are going to make wild allegations and allege various evil plots, could they provide some links or shreds of evidence please?

McHale Park isn't 'de facto' Mithel's home ground.

They don't play there anymore, the club volunteers who built it, maintained it, lined the pitch etc, don't even have access any more. It is the county ground.

When McHale Park did belong to the Mitchels, minors, U-21s, juniors etc would all get to play on the hallowed turf. Even schools games were played there all the time. That is because the club decided who played on the 'main pitch' and generally sent out most of their teams to play there. That doesn't happen anymore.

Mitchels played Ballintubber on the Josie Munnelly pitch in an important league game a number of weeks ago (no county players). That is their main pitch, de facto pitch and online conspiracy reality pitch.

The Prenty conspiracy theorists will need to look elsewhere.

Jesus muppet, you sound like the Dubs trying to convince people Croker isn't their home ground.  ::)

Would you really consider it an away ground for Mitchells?

As I said, it was likely changed for reasons of legal ownership rather than to bypass rules.

Where did Castlebar play their home group championship games?

This is daft.

You said is was their 'de facto' home ground.

Now you want to know is 'it an away ground' for them. It is a neutral ground. It used to belong to the Mitchels, but it doesn't any more. Many people from the club were very unhappy with the way it was taken off them. But it is no longer theirs.
MWWSI 2017

galwayman

There are a number of grounds that can be nominated by each county for use in provincial club championships - not quite sure what criteria the venue has to satisfy to qualify.

My club played in Connacht club a few years back and we had the choice of playing in one of Tuam Stadium, Pearse Stadium or Duggan Park in Ballinasloe.

macdanger2

Quote from: muppet on November 07, 2016, 06:52:10 PM
Technically Mchale park isn't Castlebar's home ground (since that's owned by the CB) but it defacto is their home ground. This wasn't changed to circumvent Connacht council rules though, I'm sure it's the same in many county grounds around the country.

The spirit of the rule should probably be respected though and the game be played at a neutral venue.

If people are going to make wild allegations and allege various evil plots, could they provide some links or shreds of evidence please?

They don't play there anymore, the club volunteers who built it, maintained it, lined the pitch etc, don't even have access any more. It is the county ground.

When McHale Park did belong to the Mitchels, minors, U-21s, juniors etc would all get to play on the hallowed turf. Even schools games were played there all the time. That is because the club decided who played on the 'main pitch' and generally sent out most of their teams to play there. That doesn't happen anymore.

Mitchels played Ballintubber on the Josie Munnelly pitch in an important league game a number of weeks ago (no county players). That is their main pitch, de facto pitch and online conspiracy reality pitch.

Jesus muppet, you sound like the Dubs trying to convince people Croker isn't their home ground.  ::)

As I said, it was likely changed for reasons of legal ownership rather than to bypass rules.

This is daft.

Now you want to know is 'it an away ground' for them. It is a neutral ground. It used to belong to the Mitchels, but it doesn't any more. Many people from the club were very unhappy with the way it was taken off them. But it is no longer theirs.

Apologies, by away I actually meant not a home game for them.

As far as I know, Castlebar play their home round robin games in Mchale park making it their defacto home ground.

Your defensiveness on this is a carbon copy of the Dubs in Croker discussion - it's not a criticism of Mitchells, it's a criticism of the Connacht council.

muppet

Quote from: macdanger2 on November 07, 2016, 08:27:20 PM
Quote from: muppet on November 07, 2016, 06:52:10 PM

This is daft.

Apologies, by away I actually meant not a home game for them.

As far as I know, Castlebar play their home round robin games in Mchale park making it their defacto home ground.

Your defensiveness on this is a carbon copy of the Dubs in Croker discussion - it's not a criticism of Mitchells, it's a criticism of the Connacht council.

This is nothing to do with the Dubs in Croker.

McHale Park belonged to the Mitchels and stalwarts of the club built it into the stadium it became. Yes that was because Mayo played there, but nonetheless it was a labour of love for those dedicated club members who built and maintained it.

Then they were 'persuaded' to give it all up.

They have had to start again with another pitch. Through none of their own fault. The Josie Munnelly is their home pitch now. It has a few seats bolted onto the back of the stand in McHale Park. It isn't covered in any way and thus it is not suitable to host a crowd of any size, yet.

What happened is a massive set back for the club - as losing a large capacity stadium built by the members would be for any club - but they are getting on with it and will develop the Josie Munnelly into a facility worthy of the club and it members.

McHale Park is certainly not their home ground any more.

MWWSI 2017

westbound

Does the Josie Munnelly pitch have separate dressing rooms to Mchale park?
(That's a genuine question - I don't know the answer)

whitey

whitey

Muppet....do you remember that he old "top pitch"?

You'd find more grass growing in the Sahara Desert.

It was like concrete in the summer and a swamp the rest of the year

muppet

Quote from: whitey on November 08, 2016, 11:33:14 AM
Muppet....do you remember that he old "top pitch"?

You'd find more grass growing in the Sahara Desert.

It was like concrete in the summer and a swamp the rest of the year

Yes. You would groan when you'd hear training would be up there. There were a few holes you needed to look out for.

The pitch looks a lot better nowadays though. But obviously I've never played on its recent incarnation, so I can't really say what its like now.
MWWSI 2017

Farrandeelin

Brigids to beat Aughawillan. Mitchels/Corofin too hard to call. Castlebar will have serious momentum going into tomorrow's game though. On the other hand the games may have taken their toll on them.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 12, 2016, 11:34:17 AM
Brigids to beat Aughawillan. Mitchels/Corofin too hard to call. Castlebar will have serious momentum going into tomorrow's game though. On the other hand the games may have taken their toll on them.

I'm expecting Corofin to win relatively comfortably after last year and with the motorway pile-up nature of the Mayo club championship this year.

MayoBuck

Really looking forward to tomorrow. The forecast is dry with minimal wind so it should be a good game. 50:50 game IMO, playing in MacHale Park might swing it for Mitchels.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: MayoBuck on November 12, 2016, 04:16:55 PM
Really looking forward to tomorrow. The forecast is dry with minimal wind so it should be a good game. 50:50 game IMO, playing in MacHale Park might swing it for Mitchels.
Home games usually do that

macdanger2

galwayman

Gael85

Quote from: galwayman on November 13, 2016, 02:26:44 PM
This referee is whistle happy

He is poor for both teams. Where are the Feeneys for Castlebar?