Author Topic: Money, Dublin and the GAA  (Read 119551 times)

TheGreatest

• View Profile
Re: Money, Dublin and the GAA
« Reply #1665 on: February 26, 2019, 01:39:46 PM »
Also the club should come first, Inter county is a part of a wider GAA, don't give up just because of the politics in Mayo football.

From the Bunker

• View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: February 26, 2019, 02:20:42 PM »
[Were you at the Dublin Mayo game on the weekend?

Yes that’s what I was referring to.

Gave up going to watch Mayo last year. Just before the Connacht Final. The disgust and conflict were taking away the enjoyment. There were just to many things wrong that it was hard to ignore them anymore.  It hard when you love something but you know in your heart and sole that there is a Financial doped monster like Dublin and you are only contributing to making it bigger. It was not an easy decision, I lived GAA. Anyway I look from a distance anymore. Friends who are still on the (false) bandwagon don't want to hear reality. The silence says it all when you put your views to them. They still live in their romantic view of the GAA. A GAA of the people. Hah!

I don't feel sorry for myself. I've had great days out with Mayo. What worries me is I have 3 kids 11,10 and 7 and I won't be bringing them to games. They are not going to get the bug! Not from me anyway. How could you introduce them to this? They play and love the game for the club and i will encourage that.

Is that because the players can pick the team and influence managerial selections for finals?

A disgrace they are. Some of those players should be put of the panel.

Can you translate that into English?

From the Bunker

• View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: May 30, 2019, 11:41:04 PM »
Great bit of business here! And great to see a small club get to use Croke Park and GAA President John Horan to promote their Sponsor. Dublin's John Horan is the right man in the right place.  ;)

https://www.cualagaa.ie/cuala-and-amgan-announce-ground-breaking-partnership/

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
« Reply #1668 on: May 30, 2019, 11:58:40 PM »
2 Tier GAA :(
Next week well have Elphin announcing a link up with Elphin Mart .......
1 BIG CUP and 1 Cupeen so far....

manfromdelmonte

• View Profile
« Reply #1669 on: May 31, 2019, 10:55:50 AM »
Great bit of business here! And great to see a small club get to use Croke Park and GAA President John Horan to promote their Sponsor. Dublin's John Horan is the right man in the right place.  ;)

Why is the president of the GAA at a club announcement?
Was he just hanging around upstairs?

Cuala's sponsorship deal is probably worth more than most counties get.

From the Bunker

• View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: May 31, 2019, 11:23:51 AM »

John Horan is at the announcement because he is a Dub, promoting a Dublin Club! I can't see that there is anything wrong with that? You have to stand up and help out your own. It is also only natural that Cuala should get to use Croke Park for the use of the promoting their sponsor. This is a once in a lifetime deal and you can be doing it's promotion down in the local community centre. 

manfromdelmonte

• View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: May 31, 2019, 03:48:05 PM »
Must ring John and croke park next time our club gets a sponsor on board

John Horan is at the announcement because he is a Dub, promoting a Dublin Club! I can't see that there is anything wrong with that? You have to stand up and help out your own. It is also only natural that Cuala should get to use Croke Park for the use of the promoting their sponsor. This is a once in a lifetime deal and you can be doing it's promotion down in the local community centre.

kerryforsam19

• View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: June 11, 2019, 10:35:09 PM »
The main thing is the huge huge advantages Dublin have over the rest of the country. Financial being the main one and also of course sheer numbers.

Ludicrously unfair.

I’d go so far to say Dublin have “doped” their way to success. I don’t mean by using banned substances but by financial means.

The phrase “throw your medals in the bin because you got them from cheating” sums it up well.

Jim G, The dubs team and fans know this but it’s taboo to admit it openly.

A good number admit as much when it is raised especially after the latest empty “win” and a few pints are had.

It will continue to ruin it until substantial reforms are implemented.

Dinny Breen

• I will repair to the Curragh of Kildare
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: June 12, 2019, 11:12:30 AM »
GAA president John Horan from Dublin has said the chief reason for Dublin's dominance is the work of Dublin's voluntary coaches and not the funding Dublin has received over the past decade.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/dublins-success-not-down-to-money-gaa-president-john-horan-defends-jim-gavins-men-38211085.html

Yes volunteers in Kildare & Meath, your volunteering efforts are shit, you must work harder. It is funny how the GAA President from Dublin refuses to acknowledge any of the advantages Dublin have. It's f**king embarrassing at this stage.
#newbridgeornowhere

From the Bunker

• View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: June 12, 2019, 11:26:06 AM »
GAA president John Horan from Dublin has said the chief reason for Dublin's dominance is the work of Dublin's voluntary coaches and not the funding Dublin has received over the past decade.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/dublins-success-not-down-to-money-gaa-president-john-horan-defends-jim-gavins-men-38211085.html

Yes volunteers in Kildare & Meath, your volunteering efforts are shit, you must work harder. It is funny how the GAA President from Dublin refuses to acknowledge any of the advantages Dublin have. It's f**king embarrassing at this stage.

Good man Dublin's John Horan. The best line was

''These things go in cycles and I'm quite sure with the obvious improvement that's coming in both Kildare and Meath that Leinster will come back in time to be competitive."

Dublin have had some cycle of dominance in Leinster? 15 years is an impressive cylcle.

TheGreatest

• View Profile
« Reply #1675 on: June 12, 2019, 11:36:29 AM »

''These things go in cycles and I'm quite sure with the obvious improvement that's coming in both Kildare and Meath that Leinster will come back in time to be competitive."

Dublin have had some cycle of dominance in Leinster? 15 years is an impressive cylcle.

15 years, a marvelous achievement, just shows what hard work by volunteers can achieve.

Maroon Manc

• View Profile
« Reply #1676 on: June 12, 2019, 11:50:47 AM »

15 years, a marvelous achievement, just shows what hard work by volunteers can achieve.

Yes, volunteers in other parts of the country clearly need to up their game.

highorlow

• View Profile
« Reply #1677 on: June 12, 2019, 11:51:03 AM »
"Dublin's success - a lot of it is based on voluntary effort and a games programme. Yeah, we do have the [paid] coaches going into schools and that is a benefit, but that project is 50 per cent funded by the clubs. Schools are the predominant area in which the paid coaches work and they work not alone in hurling and football but in camogie and ladies football as well."

What's this "games programme" he mentions, can we do that in Mayo?

This Horan la is an embarrassment to the GAA but the real deal for the Dubs.

highorlow

• View Profile
« Reply #1678 on: June 15, 2019, 09:20:29 PM »
Dublin hurlers

manfromdelmonte

• View Profile
« Reply #1679 on: June 15, 2019, 09:34:49 PM »
"Dublin's success - a lot of it is based on voluntary effort and a games programme. Yeah, we do have the [paid] coaches going into schools and that is a benefit, but that project is 50 per cent funded by the clubs. Schools are the predominant area in which the paid coaches work and they work not alone in hurling and football but in camogie and ladies football as well."

What's this "games programme" he mentions, can we do that in Mayo?

This Horan la is an embarrassment to the GAA but the real deal for the Dubs.
Clearly the Dubs have stumbled onto the magic formula that no other county can replicate

Also, great win for Dublin hurlers
Pity they keep losing lads to the professional footballers