Author Topic: GAA pitches in Craigavon - a gale in a pale?  (Read 903 times)

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
Re: GAA pitches in Craigavon - a gale in a pale?
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2019, 11:28:08 PM »
Mallusk playing fields Newtownabbey also.
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

nrico2006

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2019, 08:08:31 AM »
In fairness Lurgan could do with a council GAA pitch if even to help Sean Treacys hurling club out a bit. They currently have to use a patch of grass at tannaghmore gardens to train on. They've to beg other clubs to use there pitch or go over to Portadown people's park for matches.

What about that pitch out the North Circular Rd. out the back of Tannaghmore School? Was that not theirs? Or is it another Clann Eireann pitch?
yeah that's clann eireann's pitch too. My understanding is that they used to have access to it but that is now very limited if at all.

That pitch is used by the seniors for training and matches but most of the underage is in Peoples Park or Tannaghmore Gardens.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Mikhailov

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2019, 08:19:56 AM »
Are there many public/council owned GAA pitches anywhere in the North (or South)?

I remember Jennings Park in Newry having a GAA pitch with 2 soccer pitches running across it seemed like it was only or mostly soccer that got played there. I don't think they even have GAA posts there now.

Almost all GAA pitches are either club or school owned.
MUSA, in Cookstown, has GAA pitches.
Not sure how much action it sees though.

MUSA is a great facility, try getting onto it on either the grass or 4G pitch from Jan - April at anytime of the evening - near impossible. Think it used a lot locally, for a lot of school games and club friendly games between teams from different counties as it is fairly centrally located for most clubs.

johnnycool

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2019, 09:15:03 AM »
St Malachys also at cherryvale.

The school? Is that not Antrim Road?

No, a club from the Lower Ormeau, Markets area of Belfast.

IIRC the GAA stumped up some of the money used to develop Cherryvale, Woodlands, Ormeau Park and Cliftonville.
Grounds are still owned by Belfast CC though.

Harold Disgracey

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2019, 10:08:24 AM »
Somebody is spoofing here, Iím not sure any clubs in north Armagh were canvassed for their views.

Harold Disgracey

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Today at 01:22:23 PM »
Somebody was spoofing!

A Ulster GAA spokesperson said: ďAt no stage was Ulster GAA consulted in relation to the ABC Council pitches strategy.