Northern catholics and the South

Started by seafoid, October 01, 2016, 11:31:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Funny that,it wasn't even available in Belfast and N Antrim until Sky digital.Portadown is less than 30 miles from Carlingford and the whole area, (and presumably all of East and Mid Ulster) didn't get access to RTE until the early 80s.

imtommygunn

Nonsense. It was available in belfast and north antrim long long before sky digital.

T Fearon

I seem to recall not too long ago,complaints from SDLP about inaction from the British government to facilitate RTE reception in various areas of the North

imtommygunn

There are a couple of blind spots with the digital.  Analogue was available long before sky digital in the likes of north antrim and i think belfast.

(I don't think they are small blind spots mind you and that needs improved)

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on October 02, 2016, 03:07:27 PM
I was asked to provide evidence of how vibrant Catholicism is in the North as opposed to the South,which I believe I've genuinely done.
another matter of faith.

imtommygunn

Quote from: seafoid on October 02, 2016, 07:54:12 PM
I was asked to provide evidence of how vibrant Catholicism is in the North as opposed to the South,which I believe I've genuinely done.
another matter of faith.

I'm not sure this "evidence" wouod stand up in court ;D

keep her low this half

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 02, 2016, 07:17:09 PM
Nonsense. It was available in belfast and north antrim long long before sky digital.
One of my happiest memories is watching (black and white) all-ireland hurling finals in the seventies in Armoy (North Antrim). In fairness all the neighbours were in to watch the match so not everyone had rte but back then not every house had a TV. By the 1980s every house in Armoy could watch the Sunday game

T Fearon

Yes my original point stands.It was the 1980s before RTE TV was widely accessible in the North

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on October 02, 2016, 11:44:38 PM
Yes my original point stands.It was the 1980s before RTE TV was widely accessible in the North
RTE ignores the North. They never talk about the courts for example
State telly is used to build the national memory and the North is excluded from that. Of course you have a few exceptions but it is not inclusive.
What is it like watching RTE in the north? .

I always thought BBC NI was not serious. How could bigging up the 6 counties be serious?

T Fearon

Both stations serve and reflect their prime constituencies and licence payers (RTE has no licence payers in the North,and the people of the South are and always have been indifferent to the North).I can't fault either broadcaster to be honest.

seafoid

Quote from: T Fearon on October 03, 2016, 07:23:00 AM
Both stations serve and reflect their prime constituencies and licence payers (RTE has no licence payers in the North,and the people of the South are and always have been indifferent to the North).I can't fault either broadcaster to be honest.
That is a very partitionist attitude
RTE should make more of an effort. I wonder who designed RTE's rules and why.
I would feel a lot closer to Nordies including Prods than to Scots or Welsh but media framing is different. It is economically damaging.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on October 01, 2016, 10:27:34 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on October 01, 2016, 03:03:19 PM
The advent of RTE in the North over 30 years ago opened our eyes to life in the South...
I don't get this.

Radio Éireann has been pretty much available throughout the north since the Athlone station started in 1933. Telefís Éireann was available in parts of the North from launch night in 1961 with coverage expanded the following year. The Clermont Carn TV station in Louth opening in 1981 brought new & improved coverage to many east of the Bann, but RTÉ telly was available in many parts of the north already.

Besides, culturally and socially the Republic is quite different from back in 1981 to what it is now.
It's typical Tony bullshit to fit in with his OWC one nation theory. I are up in the '60's listening to Gaybo and Larry Gogan. In the houses that had RTE we gathered to watch the AI finals. The rise in anti northern bias in the media in the South is fuelled by the rise of SF.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Applesisapples on October 03, 2016, 04:19:35 PM
Quote from: Fionntamhnach on October 01, 2016, 10:27:34 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on October 01, 2016, 03:03:19 PM
The advent of RTE in the North over 30 years ago opened our eyes to life in the South...
I don't get this.

Radio Éireann has been pretty much available throughout the north since the Athlone station started in 1933. Telefís Éireann was available in parts of the North from launch night in 1961 with coverage expanded the following year. The Clermont Carn TV station in Louth opening in 1981 brought new & improved coverage to many east of the Bann, but RTÉ telly was available in many parts of the north already.

Besides, culturally and socially the Republic is quite different from back in 1981 to what it is now.
It's typical Tony bullshit to fit in with his OWC one nation theory. I are up in the '60's listening to Gaybo and Larry Gogan. In the houses that had RTE we gathered to watch the AI finals. The rise in anti northern bias in the media in the South is fuelled by the rise of SF.

I think that's actually quite true. The 'establishment' are very nervous of Sinn Fein, and what they might bring to the table if they have a chance, so they seem to be very, very negative towards them, and by extension, northern Nationalism.

Applesisapples

Vibrant my arse, I live in a parish where in my 50's I'm in the top 80% of the congregation when I go to mass, not a youngster over 16 in site. We have no priest because this so called vibrant church hasn't got any.

Applesisapples

Quote from: T Fearon on October 02, 2016, 07:00:10 PM
Funny that,it wasn't even available in Belfast and N Antrim until Sky digital.Portadown is less than 30 miles from Carlingford and the whole area, (and presumably all of East and Mid Ulster) didn't get access to RTE until the early 80s.
Bullshit again, I had family in Portadown with RTE TV in the '60's.