First Steps in Irish

Started by An Cloch Scoilte, May 03, 2007, 03:31:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gnevin

I was watching TG4 last nite and even with my very poor Irish i noticed their translation was terrible  they said something like

Their is a lot of historical stuff around here - in Irish and the translation was  Look at all the artefacts . How is that helpful?

Also with Sky + and the likes now shouldn't they run some Irish courses at night starting at 10 1 hour  beginners programs ,intermediate for  the hour after  etc and repeat the course every 10  weeks.

Also the minster for education was on saying their is a large number of teachers who are dedicated to teach forgien nationals English and that with in a school year for this program the majority of kids have caught up to their Irish peers .

Now this is a great idea but i have to ask why the same cant be applied to Irish and a dedicated class time be set a side in which the class is thought in Irish ?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Pangurban

An Scor Ar Fad.....usually heard when Down are playing

realredhandfan

To my lifelong shame I know very little of the native tongue.  That tg4 idea.  a programme dedicated to beginners irish which is taken at a very slow pace would be a great idea. then a series of very basic programmes in the tongue which could be its practical appication before a fainne awarding session in some galetacht (piss up/ hooring session in Irish) CAll it Irish for Gaelic Games.

Fíor Gael

Ceacht a dó ( lesson two)

Cic saor - free kick
rófhada - too long
ag snámh in aghaidh easa - swimming against the current ( going no where)
leath ama - half time
aráis i ndiaidh na bhfograí - back after the adverts
ceann millteacht ard - fierce high kick
o a Dhía - oh God ( holy sweet fu** what his he playing at)

Louper

As asked before there are the cds / dvds any use for learning or would it be strongly recommended to go to an actual course?

An Cloch Scoilte

Louper, it would probably be better going to a course where you can build on it from week to week. The tapes while good, may lead to difficulties, as you might become frustrated by them. I'd definetly advise a night class.

Louper

cheers thought that myself somethin i must do yet keep puttin it off, feel ashamed at times! never too old i suppose!

5 Sams

Louper,
You cannot beat immersing yourself in the language in the Gaeltacht. Its the best way to learn. Gael Linn run courses in Donegal. PM Aidan Mallon and he'll tell you all about them. Even the Ulster Council are running courses. See below:

QuoteComhairle Uladh CLG

A dhuine uasail,
               I would be grateful if you might inform the clubs in your county of the preliminary arrangements for the Ulster Council Irish Language Course in Downings (Ros Goill) this year.

The course commences on Monday 16th July and concludes on Saturday 21st. July. The course will be held in Downings GAA Centre. Many thanks for your co-operation.Brochures etc will be forwarded in the near future.
                      Tom Cullen (Secretary)

Bheinn an-bhuíoch díot ach an réamh-eolas seo a chur ar fáil do na clubanna i do chontae. Tosnóidh Cúrsa Samhraidh Comhairle Uladh CLG 'sna na Dúnaibh (Ros Goill) ar an 16ú Iúil agus críochnóidh an cúrsa ar an 21ú lá 2007. Tionólfar an cúrsa In "Ionad Lúthchleas Gael" na nDúnaibh. Gabhaim buíochas leat as do chomh-oibriú le Comhairle Uladh. Cuirfear gach eolas eile chugat chomh luath is atá sé ar fail.

Tomás Ó Cuilinn (Rúnaí)

The Aristocrat Years

Fíor Gael

Quote from: An Cloch Scoilte on May 04, 2007, 02:24:23 PM
Louper, it would probably be better going to a course where you can build on it from week to week. The tapes while good, may lead to difficulties, as you might become frustrated by them. I'd definetly advise a night class.

Scoilte it's a wonder you didn't try and enroll him for your wee night class, not like you to miss an oportunity for the pound, is fear santach thú!!!

Kerry Mike

An bhfuil se ag dul isteach go dti an leabhair dubh  - is his name going inot the black book
Carta bui - yellow card
Carta Dearg - red card
Cic ar forai  (not sure of the spelling but a wide or a bad wide, another Michael O'Se term)

And finally what every Kerry kid grows up dreaming about, one that always gets the hair standing on the neck and brings a tear to the eye:
Muintair an Riocht agus a chairde go leir...........ta athas o mo chroi an chorn Sam Maguire a glachadh ar san foireann Ciarrai.

2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Louper

cheers sams! definitely something i want to look into. id know the odd wee phrase here and there, im talkin minimal, but even knowing them does make me feel good so i can imagine the satisfaction from being able to converse in it!

5 Sams

Kerry Mike,
Speaking of hairs on the back of the neck...I think it was Joe Connolly's speech in 1980 which included the line: (paraphrasing)

"Tá daoine ar ais i nGaillimh agus tá gliondar ina gcroí"
The Aristocrat Years

Kerry Mike

Someone should compile all those All Ireland acceptances speeches there were some great ones over the years.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

Drumanee 1

Quote from: realredhandfan on May 04, 2007, 08:48:19 AM
To my lifelong shame I know very little of the native tongue.  That tg4 idea.  a programme dedicated to beginners irish which is taken at a very slow pace would be a great idea. then a series of very basic programmes in the tongue which could be its practical appication before a fainne awarding session in some galetacht (piss up/ hooring session in Irish) CAll it Irish for Gaelic Games.

thought you were from italy

An Cloch Scoilte

Quote from: Fíor Gael on May 04, 2007, 02:44:52 PM
Scoilte it's a wonder you didn't try and enroll him for your wee night class, not like you to miss an oportunity for the pound, is fear santach thú!!!

Maith thú Fíor Gael!! Ní chaillíonn tú deis nó seans punt nó dó a dhéanamh duit féin sa Tí tabhairne sin!!!! ;)