First Steps in Irish

Started by An Cloch Scoilte, May 03, 2007, 03:31:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Cloch Scoilte

Dia dhaoibh.

I have noticed that on another thread pepople are complaining about the big games being on TG4 and not being able to understand the Irish...
This is a thread to help yous along, and to help ye understand a few words and phrases!!!!

We are open to suggestions as to where to start...................................

The Claw

Micheal o Se who does the minor matches:
'An caid fachta aige i lar na pairce'
Kerry irish for 'he received the football in the middle of the field'

'Cad e mar scor' (Brian Tyers)
What a score.

prewtna

'oh dia is muire'

when a mayo forward kicks yet another wide!

'tharais an trasnan'

when a kerry man kicks the ball anywhere near the goals

realredhandfan

passedit

Irish phrases I have learnt from TG4:

An rasper = decent shot
An Blond Bombshell = K Mc Donald
Cul de sac = a run by Conor Mortimor
Don't Panic

johnneycool

Quote from: passedit on May 03, 2007, 03:55:29 PM
Irish phrases I have learnt from TG4:

Cul de sac = a run by Conor Mortimor

;D ;D ;D ;D

Jinxy

Its easy to follow games when Coman Goggins is commentating. Uses more english than irish! By the way did anyone think when they were a nipper that there was a fella playing in the minor match on All-Ireland Sunday whos name was Joe Na Cearnóige? A savage amount of ball used to go into him! Not saying I thought this, it was ehhhhh...........a friend. :-[
If you were any use you'd be playing.

IolarCoisCuain

"Buailte go h-ard agus ... BUAILTE GO CRINN!" is one of Mícheál Ó Sé's classics, go maire sé an céad.

gander

Quote from: Jinxy on May 03, 2007, 04:00:07 PM
Its easy to follow games when Coman Goggins is commentating. Uses more english than irish! By the way did anyone think when they were a nipper that there was a fella playing in the minor match on All-Ireland Sunday whos name was Joe Na Cearnóige? A savage amount of ball used to go into him! Not saying I thought this, it was ehhhhh...........a friend. :-[

Who is he?  Anyone ever used one of those CDs for the car to help you learn/relearn Irish/

Jinxy

".......isteach i dtreo na cearnóige"

dubinhell

"Gan doubt" - start of every second sentence during TG4s Waterford/KK match

neutral

maor uisce beatha lads what does this mean?  I presumed bath water steward but 5 times has refered me here for correction therapy.  What could it mean as gaeilge?

5 Sams

Commonly used words.... feel free to add to the list.

Uisce Beatha - Water of Life... also known as whiskey...for the benefit of Neutral.

Maor - Official....not the Stickie variety but a wee man who wears a yellow flourescent tanktop and gets into games for nothing.

Leann Dubh - Stout...as in the drink variety not the Fearon kind.

Ceapaire pl. Ceapairí - Sangwiches usually of the Hang variety.

Teach Tabhairne - Pub

Amadán - Fool....of the Fearon variety.

Ciotóg - A person who uses his or her left hand or foot for whatever purpose.

Ciotach - An awkward person (see Ciotóg above for explanation ::)

Beidh cupla focal eile ann amárach.

Slán
The Aristocrat Years

thejuice

Im trying to improve my Irish as much as I can, its been seven years since i did my leaving, but even then i only leanrt it to jump that hurdle, and didnt really help me understand the language. I was hoping to return home(i Seasnach anois) and start a course in Irish.

Sadly theres not many jobs going for me at home whereas theres loads accross the water, so looks like i'll be in exile for a few years (ill keep up the GAA dont you worry). So anyone recommend a way to keep "an cupla focail" while im away. any books or websites?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Jinxy

I have to say, I'd be quite happy that if the car broke down in the middle of a gaeltacht somewhere in the wilds of Kerry I'd be able to communicate with the locals pretty well. A lot of that is due to the number of games I watch on TG4. I also watch Fíorscéal every week. It's surprising how quickly you pick up stuff again. Those CD's that came with the Indo recently, with basic everyday phrases as gaeilge were a good idea. I honestly think there is the beginnings of a resurgence in the use of spoken Irish. It's very fashionable nowadays to send young Fiachra or Sneachta to a gaelscoil (almost as fashionable as giving them quare Irish names to begin with).