All Ireland Final Replay 1st October 2016 Dublin vs Mayo

Started by Hereiam, September 21, 2016, 10:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kickham csc

Been reading through a lot of the messages and I can't help believe that people are being too hard on the goalkeeper about the first 3/4 points.

In my view, Dublin's management won the initial battle over kick out strategy, not that the goalie made stupid kick outs.

After the first point was scored, Rock sprinted 20m over to his marker and barged into him, and keep shoving and bumping into him. Andrews was doing the same in the other corner. We thought that the Dublin forwards were pumped up, but it became clear that Dublin's inside forwards were going man to man for kick outs and were taking the corner back option away from Mayo.

The half forward line were doing the same. Meanwhile the half backs pushed up. This meant that they forced the goalie to go long, but Dublin took risks to ensure they were doubling up in the middle. The result, they dominated Mayo's kick out at the start of the game.

It took Mayo about 10-15mins to adjust and when they did, they started to get some change in the kick outs (and got a goal from one)

The goalie messed up with the short kickout that Keegan got the black card for and the catch, but Dublin management won the battle in the first 10 mins.

Also, all this talk about Mayo needing scoring forwards. Their total yesterday would have won the last 5-6 All Irelands, and that was recorded against a highly impressive defense, so I think they have the players (a couple of new additions wouldn't hurt) but they have the team to win one, just need to drive over that winning line

dublin7

Quote from: The Aristocrat on October 05, 2016, 09:00:19 AM
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/darragh-%C3%B3-s%C3%A9-being-humble-is-the-bedrock-of-dublin-s-greatness-1.2816282

He calls it right.

Dubliin's achievement in going bck to back seems to be less of a story than Mayo losing another all ireland final. At least Darragh & Tomas O'se are wiling to acknowledge how good this Dublin team is. Looking forward to Bomber Liston's piece this week.  Knowing him it will be more about Mayo losing than Dublin winning

Jinxy

it would be great if the fans could be as humble as the team.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

sid waddell

Quote from: Kickham csc on October 05, 2016, 08:54:25 AM

Also, all this talk about Mayo needing scoring forwards. Their total yesterday would have won the last 5-6 All Irelands, and that was recorded against a highly impressive defense, so I think they have the players (a couple of new additions wouldn't hurt) but they have the team to win one, just need to drive over that winning line
In the seven championship meetings between Dublin and Mayo since 2006, the scores are remarkably similar.

Dublin scored 2-12, 0-16, 2-12, 2-12, 3-15, 2-9 and 1-15. Four times out of seven they scored 18 overall points, with only the 3-15 in the 2015 replay being a high outlier, with the 2-9 in this year's draw being the lowest.

Mayo's scoring in these games is very consistent. They scored 1-16, 0-19, 1-14, 1-15, 1-14, 0-15 and 1-14. All within a four point range, with three identical 1-14s in there. Take out the drawn final this year and it's a two point range in six games.

1-14 or the equivalent is also the highest losing score in a 70 minute All-Ireland final, being managed four times - Kerry (0-17) in 1982, Meath in 1991, Mayo in 2013 and Mayo in 2016.

Get to 1-15 or the equivalent and you'll win an All-Ireland final.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: sid waddell on October 05, 2016, 11:28:28 AM
Quote from: Kickham csc on October 05, 2016, 08:54:25 AM

In the seven championship meetings between Dublin and Mayo since 2006, the scores are remarkably similar.

Dublin scored 2-12, 0-16, 2-12, 2-12, 3-15, 2-9 and 1-15. Four times out of seven they scored 18 overall points, with only the 3-15 in the 2015 replay being a high outlier, with the 2-9 in this year's draw being the lowest.

Mayo's scoring in these games is very consistent. They scored 1-16, 0-19, 1-14, 1-15, 1-14, 0-15 and 1-14. All within a four point range, with three identical 1-14s in there. Take out the drawn final this year and it's a two point range in six games.

1-14 or the equivalent is also the highest losing score in a 70 minute All-Ireland final, being managed four times - Kerry (0-17) in 1982, Meath in 1991, Mayo in 2013 and Mayo in 2016.

Get to 1-15 or the equivalent and you'll win an All-Ireland final.

They've lost 3 of the last 5 finals to teams with a superior forward line. Its not too say they can't win an All Ireland when playing a team with a better set of forwards but it would certainly help their cause if they had better forwards.

Hound

Quote from: yellowcard on October 05, 2016, 12:53:57 AM

On Dublin, I think the manner in which they struggled to overcome Mayo has dampened people's willingness to label them as a great side. I'd prefer to give Mayo some credit as they are one of the best sides never to win an AI title.

Over the 2 games, Mayo's defenders' performances was excellent. Dublin's very good too in fairness. Durcan and Harrison, who would have been relatively unherladed beforehand, gave All Star performances over the 2 games, and I'd pick either of them for Young Player of the Year (I'm assuming they are young enough, but I don't know)

Mayo4Sam

Congrats to Dublin, better team won.
I haven't read back through everything here just yet but wanted to make
One point on the Hennelly thing. There is absolutely no way on earth the O'Sheas had anything to do with Hennelly being brought back in. This shite being spouted annoys me. Imagine the world where AOS went to Rochford and said that. Then answer these questions:
- why would Clarke stay on the panel?
- Why would Rochford not tell them to f**k off?
- Why would the O'Sheas not insist on COS starting?
- what would the rest of the panel say?
- how does a team that is that disfunctional go that far?

Such absolute and utter shite, it's been going on all year and coming from Roscommon. Mayo lads if anyone does say it to you ask them the questions above. Anyone ever involved in a team knows that it couldn't be true

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

muppet

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on October 05, 2016, 07:42:44 PM
One point on the Hennelly thing. There is absolutely no way on earth the O'Sheas had anything to do with Hennelly being brought back in. This shite being spouted annoys me. Imagine the world where AOS went to Rochford and said that. Then answer these questions:

Such absolute and utter shite, it's been going on all year and coming from Roscommon. Mayo lads if anyone does say it to you ask them the questions above. Anyone ever involved in a team knows that it couldn't be true

Agreed.
MWWSI 2017

IolarCoisCuain

The media and Mayo supporters appear to have castigated Rochford to such an extent that his position may become impossible moving forward. It comes back to that old mantra of the need to look for a scapegoat. Ultimately Mayo lead for about 5/6 minutes of the 160 over the 2 matches and were beaten by a better side however marginal. A former Mayo goalkeeper gave a very good interview about this today and it should be heeded. Far too many idiots out there who think they know better.

On Dublin, I think the manner in which they struggled to overcome Mayo has dampened people's willingness to label them as a great side. I'd prefer to give Mayo some credit as they are one of the best sides never to win an AI title. Consider this. But for a Donegal ambush in 2014 we would be looking at a 4 in a row side in both League and championship in an era when the demands make it very difficult to keep coming back year on year. They are also on a 29 match unbeaten run. I think that definitely elevates them above any side since the Kerry golden era whatever about anything else.

No-one in Mayo wants Rochford to go anywhere. Trust me.

PW Nally

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on October 05, 2016, 08:18:00 PM
The media and Mayo supporters appear to have castigated Rochford to such an extent that his position may become impossible moving forward. It comes back to that old mantra of the need to look for a scapegoat. Ultimately Mayo lead for about 5/6 minutes of the 160 over the 2 matches and were beaten by a better side however marginal. A former Mayo goalkeeper gave a very good interview about this today and it should be heeded. Far too many idiots out there who think they know better.

On Dublin, I think the manner in which they struggled to overcome Mayo has dampened people's willingness to label them as a great side. I'd prefer to give Mayo some credit as they are one of the best sides never to win an AI title. Consider this. But for a Donegal ambush in 2014 we would be looking at a 4 in a row side in both League and championship in an era when the demands make it very difficult to keep coming back year on year. They are also on a 29 match unbeaten run. I think that definitely elevates them above any side since the Kerry golden era whatever about anything else.

True and the bit in bold a complete exaggeration of how things are in reality.

larryin89

All rossies and people including some of our own wonder why some of us dislike them so much. Youd have to feel for the decent ones.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Lar Naparka

Quote from: PW Nally on October 05, 2016, 08:20:29 PM
Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on October 05, 2016, 08:18:00 PM

True and the bit in bold a complete exaggeration of how things are in reality.
I haven't come across a single statement by any reporter, pundit or whatever you're having yerself, that implies that Mayo supporters are demanding that Rochford be booted out.
Never heard it once and the same goes for Robbie Hennelly.
Everyone I've spoken to feels sorry for the lad and wish him well.
And while I am at it, nobody to date has said to me that Clarkie should retire from the panel either.
In Mayo, we handle things our own way and there's nothing here for media heads to get excited about.
Mayo hasn't gone away ya know!
We'll be back and any problems we may have, will be sorted in-house; no need for any outsider to be wetting himself with excitement.

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

maigheo

Very true.The game was just over on Sat. when some one mentioned to me that the O Sheas had gotten Hennelly on the team and I live in New York.Alot of fans just never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

muppet

Quote from: maigheo on October 05, 2016, 10:19:30 PM

Very true.The game was just over on Sat. when some one mentioned to me that the O Sheas had gotten Hennelly on the team and I live in New York.Alot of fans just never let the truth get in the way of a good story.

It just means when people are searching for someone to blame, they start by looking in their prejudices.
MWWSI 2017