All Ireland Final Replay 1st October 2016 Dublin vs Mayo

Started by Hereiam, September 21, 2016, 10:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blewuporstuffed

I think it was a foul, that connolly made the most of, certainly not a black card.
The one by John Small was most certainly a black card.
The Cooper one probably was by the letter of the law but is debatable.

The trouble is, these decisions are just too hard to call in real time alot of the time and have led to a huge amount of wrong decisions over the course of the championship.
These are the countries top referees we are talking about that are struggling with it, anyone involved in club football over the last wile can see how bad it has become.

Eamon McGee put it well on twitter the other day

'On the black card its a bit like communism, great idea on paper but impossible to implement.'
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Tubberman

Quote from: Jinxy on October 03, 2016, 11:48:34 AM
Here is the Lee Keegan black card.

https://twitter.com/Sportstalkdotie/status/782258063302590464

Now, think back to the Sean Cavanagh tackle on Conor McManus which is the very definition of a 'deliberate pull down'.
Watch the Keegan incident and ignore him altogether.
Just watch Connolly.
He is not pulled down.
I'm not even all that sure he's being fouled, but the hand over the shoulder probably merits a free-in at most.
At no point does Keegan make contact with him below the shoulder.
How can you deliberately pull someone down without actually pulling them at any point?
Connolly goes to ground of his own volition.
So, again we come back to enforcement, and this was clearly an incorrect decision by Deegan.
Would the players have got onto Gough or Coldrick to the same extent looking for a black card?
I don't think so, but even if they did, I don't think it would sway their decision.

I hadn't seen it up until this. Jesus Christ... imagine the uproar from the Dubs if they had lost by a point and Keegan had made a meal of things to get Connolly a black card!
Anyway, it makes no difference now, the game is over.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Canalman

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on October 03, 2016, 11:57:19 AM
I think it was a foul, that connolly made the most of, certainly not a black card.

The trouble is, these decisions are just too hard to call in real time alot of the time and have led to a huge amount of wrong decisions over the course of the championship.
These are the countries top referees we are talking about that are struggling with it, anyone involved in club football over the last wile can see how bad it has become.

'On the black card its a bit like communism, great idea on paper but impossible to implement.'

To be brutally honest I have seen the black card better implemented at club level.

Some amount of "mouths" have been blackcarded at adult club level. Really imo anyway has improved the game.

Major problem is at the elite level, players are well able to "disguise" the deliberateness of what they are doing.

JoG2

Quote from: bannside on October 02, 2016, 10:29:15 AM
Plus One.

Probably the most intense atmospheric and exhilarating match I have seen. Both teams going full pelt. Fitness levels unreal with big hits going in all over the pitch in what was arguably the hardest physical battle ever in a final.

Those who say this match was drab don't understand it. Two fantastic teams going toe to toe. I think it was a classic that will be talked about for years.

Agreed, thought it was a absolutely epic battle and fair play to both teams.

Was in the far reaches of remote Donegal with barely a TV signal, never mind internet, so had a read through the thread this morning...what is the craic with posters being so sore on Cillian O'Connor? Aiden O'Shea abuse isn't far behind. As football men, they should be given a bit more respect imo. The sacrifices, pressure etc etc

Jinxy

Players are so strong through the core & legs now that anything short of a rugby tackle will not bring them to the ground.
It baffles me how refs can still give out black cards for the soccer style 'knee-drop' dives.
Keegan basically fell on top of Connolly because instead of keeping his feet he decided to hit the deck.
Now Connolly would argue that he was being impeded so he was entitled to look for the free but we are getting into dangerous territory there.
How many times have we heard a pundit on Match of the Day say after a dodgy penalty, "There was contact..."
So what!
It's a contact sport ffs and 'contact' does not always equal 'foul'.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

westbound

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on October 03, 2016, 11:57:19 AM

I disagree that these were difficult to call in real time. I was in the upper tier of the hogan and in real time it was obvious that small and cooper were black cards and keegans wasn't!

I haven't yet seen replays of some of the other incidents - should dublin have had a second penalty? Should mayo have had a penalty for a foul on Aidan o'Shea?

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: Canalman on October 03, 2016, 10:18:55 AM
Firstly, hard luck to the Mayo posters on here.

Haven't seen any highlights of the game, but thought each and every one of our subs brought something to the table when they came on and for that the Manager must take great credit.

Thought Cluxton was immense yesterday as he has been all season imo ( bar 10 mins in AISF) . Have to say , I would not like to be in the Dublin full back line with those kick outs coming your way with no margin for errors. One of the very few  players who has changed the  role of a football position so much. Maybe Paul Curran as an attacking wing back, Brian Dooher/ Paul Galvin as the up and down the pitch wing forwards or Sean Cavanagh likewise as midfielder.

Didn't see the card or non card issues or replays but in real time from the Canal End the Keegan black card looked a definite one.

Have to say that I have a major issue with CP not showing replays on the screen of so called contentious issues. Fans have paid serious money to get in and imo deserve better. If a supporter or supporter get het up afterwards, then they can be ejected from the grounds. Why should the people watching at home get the benefit of replays only?

Will be very curious next year to see whether the 6 minutes additional time is added on in most games or just for AIFs. Very annoyed with the extra 2 minutes added on to the additional time at the end.

Anyway, congrats to the lads and once again hard luck to the Mayo posters here.

God bless you Canalman but you must have the eyes of a hawk to be able to see what's going on at the butt of the Hill from the Canal End. You might be able to make some bit of pocket-money out in the Middle East doing a bit of sniping for the Yanks.

As for the cards themselves, Tubberman is right. It's all over now. Congratulations to Dublin, hard luck Mayo, roll on 2017.

Lar Naparka

There isn't much to feel happy about in the wake of Saturday's defeat but Seamie's display was a revelation and helped to ease the pain a bit for me. One positive I could take from the game anyway.
It was clear that someone had taken him aside after the drawn game and got him to work on his passing skills, or indeed his lack of them.
For me, he was the most effective Mayo player on view, whereas, IMO, he was firmly rooted at the bottom in the previous game. I guess a small bit of coaching worked wonders and improved his game no end.
Now, what I'm getting at here is the fact that it seems that neither Clarke nor Hennelly has ever worked on fine-tuning their kick outs. Sure Bob could be depended on to hoof a few agricultural kicks well downfield but they seldom if ever went where he wanted them to go.
Neither would be anywhere near Cluxton's standard.

John Leonard, Cluxton's understudy for a while, was quoted in Saturday's Star where he spoke about Clucko's attention to detail.
Leonard mentioned that he turned up for training one time a half hour before the session began. He had been hoping to impress the management  by turning up at 6.30. But he found Clucko was already there practising his kicking.
So Leonard turned up at 6 for the following session only to find Clucko already out on the field, following the same routine.

Leonard made one last effort to be first out on the field and turned up at 5.30 and you can guess who was already there. I'm saying that Cluxton's superiority over any other who kicks out the ball can be put down to sheer hard work and dedication to the cause.
It's painfully obvious to me that little or nothing has ever been done to improve  the accuracy of Hennelly's or Clarke's kick outs and that's another reason why we came up short on Saturday.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Fuzzman

I think going into this game there was always going to be scope for Connolly getting Keegan sent off.
Firstly there was all the nonsense that Keegan had done in previous games and so brought a lot of attention on himself but then last week with several media articles trying to highlight it really put pressure on the ref to be on the look out for it.
Now tactically Dublin and Connolly himself would have been waiting for a chance to cry wolf to the ref so I think Keegan was trying hard to back off a bit and not get caught. Now like I posted earlier, when the free was given and Connolly went waving his imaginary card the ref can clearly be seen saying No and he tugged on his jersey which to me indicated no black card. However, he then walks around a bit and either is influenced by another official or changes his mind but the then calls over Keegan and gives him the card and then shows a dragging down movement.
To me his mind was clearly changed and I would suspect it was from chatting to his linesmen or someone else.
I often wondered is it possible the ref is connected to a TV ref and we just don't know it.

Jinxy

This is a great picture.
One of the best penalties I've seen that was very nearly one of the best saves I've seen.

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Rudi

Can the ref not look at a replay on the big screen, if he can't make his mind up in real time.

seafoid

Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 03, 2016, 12:55:49 PM
game no end.

John Leonard, Cluxton's understudy for a while, was quoted in Saturday's Star where he spoke about Clucko's attention to detail.
Leonard mentioned that he turned up for training one time a half hour before the session began. He had been hoping to impress the management  by turning up at 6.30. But he found Clucko was already there practising his kicking.
So Leonard turned up at 6 for the following session only to find Clucko already out on the field, following the same routine.

Leonard made one last effort to be first out on the field and turned up at 5.30 and you can guess who was already there.
That reminded me of the 3 little pigs

TheOptimist

Quote from: Jinxy on October 03, 2016, 11:30:27 AM
Of the five 'cynical' offenses that are punishable by the black card, I would argue that it works very well for the 'deliberate body collide' (3rd man tackle) and the 'deliberate trip'.
The vast majority of the contentious decisions relate to the 'deliberate pull down' due to the nature of the tackle, which is very much open to interpretation; and it's rarely used to police verbal abuse or remonstrating with officials.
Maybe we need to give this a bit of thought to avoid a baby/bathwater situation.
+1

rodney trotter

Keegan and Durcan look more assured going for scores then some of the Mayo forwards. Andy Moran is a good player, but had a poor miss towards the end, as had Aidan O Shea, his was probably more difficult.

Cillian O Connor saved Mayo in the drawn game, didn't score from play in the replay.

shark

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 03, 2016, 01:48:11 PM
Keegan and Durcan look more assured going for scores then some of the Mayo forwards. Andy Moran is a good player, but had a poor miss towards the end, as had Aidan O Shea, his was probably more difficult.

Cillian O Connor saved Mayo in the drawn game, didn't score from play in the replay.

It's different when you are coming on to the ball from wing back. Mayo didn't exactly miss much either. And unlike Dublin (Kilkenny primarily) they didn't turn down great opportunities to shoot. Their problem wasn't shooting, it was creating opportunities to shoot.