All Ireland Final Replay 1st October 2016 Dublin vs Mayo

Started by Hereiam, September 21, 2016, 10:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Aidan O Shea is struggling to fit into todays modern football based mostly on speed,fitness and mobility. Dublin to me looked like a side that had peaked for the All Ireland semi final and they were there for the taking not once but twice against Mayo. Mayo never caught fire this year at all and that is probably the main reason why Mayo were unable to topple a Dublin side that were far from their best yesterday or two weeks ago.

sid waddell

Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 02, 2016, 02:03:30 PM
Aidan O Shea is struggling to fit into todays modern football based mostly on speed,fitness and mobility. Dublin to me looked like a side that had peaked for the All Ireland semi final and they were there for the taking not once but twice against Mayo. Mayo never caught fire this year at all and that is probably the main reason why Mayo were unable to topple a Dublin side that were far from their best yesterday or two weeks ago.
He carries the ball into contact far too much and that wears him down energy wise. His style is reminiscent of Kevin "Crash Ball" Maggs.

He was absolutely gassed by the last few minutes and was blowing hard back on his own 45 metre line when Mayo were attacking late on - they needed him up the pitch but he was nowhere to be seen.

seafoid

Quote from: square_ball on October 02, 2016, 01:53:48 PM
Quote from: Itchy on October 02, 2016, 12:43:41 PM
Clarke cost Mayo the 1st game if people want to look at it objectively. Couple of points off bad kick outs, he came running of his line and conceded a silly free going for a high ball and he almost scored an own goal when going for another high ball. I can understand why he was dropped, however it's hard to believe the sub keeper would have twice as bad a game as Clarke did.

I thought the same the first day. Two decent saves from Fenton masked a shaky enough performance. I'd say hennelly had a few poor kickouts yesterday and then the double nightmare for the penalty. Such is the life of a keeper that he will be the scapegoat.

I actually predict Mayo for Sam in 2017. A full pre season with Rochford (was he appointed fairly late in 2015?) and I think they will finally make the breakthrough.
I was thinking the same thing. Kerry are nowhere. Throne are going nowhere. The rest need more time

seafoid

Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 02, 2016, 02:03:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIL-uFB7cIc

omagh_gael

Quote from: seafoid on October 02, 2016, 02:18:27 PM
Quote from: square_ball on October 02, 2016, 01:53:48 PM
Quote from: Itchy on October 02, 2016, 12:43:41 PM
Clarke cost Mayo the 1st game if people want to look at it objectively. Couple of points off bad kick outs, he came running of his line and conceded a silly free going for a high ball and he almost scored an own goal when going for another high ball. I can understand why he was dropped, however it's hard to believe the sub keeper would have twice as bad a game as Clarke did.

I thought the same the first day. Two decent saves from Fenton masked a shaky enough performance. I'd say hennelly had a few poor kickouts yesterday and then the double nightmare for the penalty. Such is the life of a keeper that he will be the scapegoat.

I actually predict Mayo for Sam in 2017. A full pre season with Rochford (was he appointed fairly late in 2015?) and I think they will finally make the breakthrough.
I was thinking the same thing. Kerry are nowhere. Throne are going nowhere. The rest need more time

Not wanting to hijack the thread but how are Kerry and Tyrone out of the race? Kerry are going to get a fresh injection of pedigree AI winners and Tyrone were a couple of poor shots away from disposing Mayo, that is after us playing well below our potential.

If Dublin don't have their heads/motivation right next year then the race for Sam could be wide open. I think 2017 is shaping up to be a really interesting championship.

heffo

@Jinxy - retirements - Bastick for definite. O'Carroll very likely.

I don't think any of the others will.

Jinxy

Berno?
Although I suppose it's in his interests to maintain his profile.
Cluxton can keep going as long as he wants.
Gave an exhibition of kicking yesterday.
Mayo need to think outside the box and look at their recent u-21 teams and pick a couple of forwards with PACE.
It doesn't matter if they weren't leading lights, that team badly needs speed up front.
Look at the difference Costello made for Dublin when he came on.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Farrandeelin

Can't understand why Hennelly started. Hadn't played since June v Galway. Mind boggles.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 02, 2016, 03:18:01 PM
Can't understand why Hennelly started. Hadn't played since June v Galway. Mind boggles.

Distressing. This disastrous selection will have a chapter all of its own in Keith Duggan's next book.

heffo

Quote from: Jinxy on October 02, 2016, 03:16:53 PM
Berno?

I can't see Berno retiring - he needs his profile and has plenty more to offer. I'd be telling him and a few others to go away and keep themselves ticking over and see you in March.

Staying up in Div 1 should be the target next year, not winning it again - they don't need the form correlation from winning those games in Feb-April.

Mayo still need a marquee forward - someone who can conjure a score from nowhere - O'Connor is a fine player but their attacking game plan is too Plan A and Plan A 1.1 - need variety.

Mac2

Quote from: moysider on October 02, 2016, 03:29:02 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 02, 2016, 03:18:01 PM

Distressing. This disastrous selection will have a chapter all of its own in Keith Duggan's next book.
Lads I was told by someone close to the panel after the drawn game that Clarke would definitely not start, this was only a couple of hours after the game. I said I found that hard to believe, when the team was first announced I thought we were in the clear..

BennyCake

Quote from: heffo on October 02, 2016, 03:32:18 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on October 02, 2016, 03:16:53 PM
Berno?

I can't see Berno retiring - he needs his profile and has plenty more to offer. I'd be telling him and a few others to go away and keep themselves ticking over and see you in March.

Staying up in Div 1 should be the target next year, not winning it again - they don't need the form correlation from winning those games in Feb-April.

Mayo still need a marquee forward - someone who can conjure a score from nowhere - O'Connor is a fine player but their attacking game plan is too Plan A and Plan A 1.1 - need variety.

CO'C was nowhere to be seen yesterday. Likewise the last days, bar the equalizer. Hard working forwards only get you so far. You need at least 2 forwards who can get scores from nothing. Most AI winners have them, except Mayo (who aren't an AI winner).

Cunny Funt

In regards to retirements I think Mayo will have more in the foreseeable future than Dublin will. A Moran,A Dillion,G Cafferky,C Boyle,K Higgins,S O Shea,B Moran,C Barrett all in their 30s next year with loads of mileage on their clocks.

Jinxy

Mayo's 3 'go-to' forwards at the moment are O'Connor, O'Shea and Moran.
I'm pretty confident I'd be faster than all three of them and I'm not even playing anymore.
Would it be worth trying Keegan in the half-forward line?
Don't be afraid to think outside the box.
Boylan used to look at a player, and regardless of where he typically played his football, he'd find a position for him that benefited the team first and foremost.
Look at the way Keegan took his goal yesterday.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

del_carroll

Good point jinxy...wasn't there one year,where all meath  forwards bar ollie Murphy were defenders for their clubs...