All Ireland Final Replay 1st October 2016 Dublin vs Mayo

Started by Hereiam, September 21, 2016, 10:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

The yobbos attacking Hennelly online I see. The same lads who probably have only ever been to Croke Park to see Mayo play. The lad will be suffering enough without the dregs of society piling on.

ballinaman

Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 02, 2016, 11:53:08 AM
Anyone have an idea why David Clarke was dropped?
I'm not begrudging Dublin anything but I knew as the teams came out that Bob was going to commit at least one clanger and I could only pray that it would.t cost us dearly.
Some much for the power of prayer...
Going back to the time I first saw him in the minor decider against Tyrone (in 2008?) I always felt afraid when he had to reach for a dropping ball. He could be brilliant for the rest of the game but I knew that there would be at least one c**k up in him before the final whistle.
I heard that Clarke's poor kick outs were the cause of his omission but Hennelly was even worse always so why the change?
Rochford said Hennelly was on due to greater distance on kickouts. Dublin pushed high on Clarke kickouts towards end of drawn game.

How they overlooked his propensity for mistakes is another thing though.  :-[. Tough on him.

orangeman

Quote from: Syferus on October 02, 2016, 12:07:53 PM
The yobbos attacking Hennelly online I see. The same lads who probably have only ever been to Croke Park to see Mayo play. The lad will be suffering enough without the dregs of society piling on.

I definitely feel for Hennelly. It was a one point game. The penalty was a pivotal moment no doubt.

Anyone think by the way that it wasn't a penalty and not a black card ???

omagh_gael

Sportacus

The game was fantastic.  Congratulations to Dublin, a great team and their bench won it in the end.  MDM caught a kick-out when it favoured Mayo, Costello's 3 points, Brogan point - all crucial.  As a neutral I was supporting Mayo and watched the game more from their perspective.  Their fitness levels stand out, they didn't wilt in either game when Dublin pushed ahead in the last ten.  They just always seem to find a bizarre way to throw away an All Ireland, yesterday it was the goalkeeping decision - I really feel for Hennelly.  Once again some of the Mayo lads played the shirts off their back, McLaughlin for example who I've always had my doubts about in the past was excellent.  Vaughan was having a great game and it was very unfortunate he had to go off, and obviously Keegan was a huge blow (but so was Cooper).  Seamie O'Se answered his critics, Aidan just isn't fit enough - good in the first half but knackered in the second.  Not really enough out of Moran, D O'Connor and Doherty either - very hard to win an All Ireland with two or three forwards bottled up.  Such a long way back now for Mayo - Kerry must be licking their lips for next year - Dublin might loose a bit of hunger and Mayo have had more psychological damage inflicted.         

leenie

Imo, I thought it was a clinker .. And management decisions had a key factor.,

I don't want to seem patronizing but it must be so hard to be a mayo supporter.. Never have I wanted a team to win more outside my county ...
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

Itchy

Clarke cost Mayo the 1st game if people want to look at it objectively. Couple of points off bad kick outs, he came running of his line and conceded a silly free going for a high ball and he almost scored an own goal when going for another high ball. I can understand why he was dropped, however it's hard to believe the sub keeper would have twice as bad a game as Clarke did.

ZeitChrist

I wouldn't like to pile in on the lad, but the decision to play Hennelly was a huge call that backfired spectacularly. Rochford should have shown loyalty to the keeper who had been having a great season and had been instrumental in Mayo's success this year. A very, very bad judgement call that probably cost Mayo the match. Harsh on Clarke and harsh on Hennelly both. He threw Hennelly into the pressure cooker and the lad looked a nervous wreck from the get-go. Hard not to feel for the players honestly. They gave it everything but ultimately management over thought things and didn't show enough faith in the players who had gotten them this far.

BennyCake

Mayo need to send AOS to play basketball over the winter. It will improve his awareness of players around him. He gives Mayo very little at the minute.

He can win ball but is too slow releasing it. He gets turned over or kicks ball away. Only time he used ball well was for Keegan's goal.

galwayman

Quote from: Syferus on October 02, 2016, 12:07:53 PM
Very true it's tough on Hennelly.

Itchy

Quote from: BennyCake on October 02, 2016, 12:54:42 PM
Mayo need to send AOS to play basketball over the winter. It will improve his awareness of players around him. He gives Mayo very little at the minute.

He can win ball but is too slow releasing it. He gets turned over or kicks ball away. Only time he used ball well was for Keegan's goal.

In fairness is tough going to have to develop the tactics, pick the team and then be expected to play on the day too!

bannside

Too true Bennycake.  AOS is not a great footballer. A big unit who would be vital to a team that pumped it down the middle  but that has all changed. Only asset he has is in the air but when in possession far too slow and ponderous. In these days of stats it was obvious that his yardage count would be at best 70% of a Fenton and this was really exposed in the last 15 when MDMA was introduced. In fact McAuley ran the last 15 mins when AOS legs were gone although brother SOS did turn up yesterday to his credit.

Maybe route one to AOS and Barry Moran might have exposed the lack of height in the Dublin full back line, especially when the Dubs took control near the end and it looked like a goal was needed from Mayo.

Yesterday Kevin Mc Loughlins contribution to Mayo was much greater than AOS proving size isn't everything anymore in football. But an engine is.

BennyCake

Yes McLoughlin was excellent I thought. For a man that looks like a hunger striker, he's got great energy.

McLoone was similar to AOS for Donegal in 2014. Too ponderous. Nobody could spread the ball from CHF like Greg Blaney.

square_ball

Quote from: Itchy on October 02, 2016, 12:43:41 PM
Clarke cost Mayo the 1st game if people want to look at it objectively. Couple of points off bad kick outs, he came running of his line and conceded a silly free going for a high ball and he almost scored an own goal when going for another high ball. I can understand why he was dropped, however it's hard to believe the sub keeper would have twice as bad a game as Clarke did.

I thought the same the first day. Two decent saves from Fenton masked a shaky enough performance. I'd say hennelly had a few poor kickouts yesterday and then the double nightmare for the penalty. Such is the life of a keeper that he will be the scapegoat.

I actually predict Mayo for Sam in 2017. A full pre season with Rochford (was he appointed fairly late in 2015?) and I think they will finally make the breakthrough.

Lar Naparka

A fógra speisialta here. Sorry to cut across the discussion but I'll be brief:

Anyone at a loose end in Castlebar around tea time tomorrow is welcome to come along to a book launch in Castle Bookshop, scheduled for 6 pm.
The Kenny fella is doing the launch and I guess I will be expected to attend since I wrote book.
The proprietor told me I was free to ask anyone I liked so I took him at his word as I won't be footing the bill.
Incidentally, the book is "The Little Book of Mayo," by The History Press.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi