All Ireland Final Replay 1st October 2016 Dublin vs Mayo

Started by Hereiam, September 21, 2016, 10:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: thewobbler on October 02, 2016, 10:06:00 AM
Sadly Mayo got stung yesterday by one of the new trends in the game - management teams overthinking their roles.

Mayo's team basically picks itself but they felt the need to intervene. I actually feel sorry for Hennelly; it's not his fault that Rochford and co felt the need to invent a scenario to throw him in at the deep end. Mayo's outfield players didn't deserve to knock their bollocks out for 80 minutes to get undone by a blunder from their keeper.

Apart from that, I find some of the negative comments on this thread to be extraordinary. For my money, yesterday was an absolute classic between two throughly evenly matched teams. As a game it had absolutely everything, and if you feel the need to run it down I would politely suggest you f**k off and find a new sport to be glum about.

Congrats to Dublin. Their bench might have taken the plaudits but it was their defensive structure and ultra vigorous tackling that allowed the replacement forwards the opportunity and space to shine.
Very good assessment of the match I watched
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Scoring Zone

Quote from: screenexile on October 01, 2016, 10:28:46 PM
Quote from: tiempo on October 01, 2016, 10:02:21 PM
Quote from: Scoring Zone on October 01, 2016, 09:35:30 PM
was blown away with the S&C of the players, its reaching scary standards, however the refereeing is shocking and the inconsistency of it lead to the scrappy end to the first half, Felt dublin let the pressure get to them, but just had forwards with more natural ability and better bench. With mayo, no sympathy, game was there twice and they didn't take it. The change of the keepers backfired, and bar frees from O'Connor most of there forward play was gutless - Aidan O'Shea hasn't an arse in his trousers, twice he was needed in a fortnight and was found wanting, his bother was seismic after a poor show last time round as was boyle and the corner backs - Mayo don't have the quality of forwards to score from play 3 or 4 times a game and won't win sam until they do

S&C to the hilt and kick passing non-existant, any of the good footballing champion teams of the past would have made shite of Mayo and Dublin e.g. Down, Galway, Tyrone, various Kerry

No... You are completely incorrect!

Its not S&C to blame this is to be accepted, it is the integration on sweepers and statistics on turnovers to blame for the lack of kick passing, if you look up and see a sweeper and kick it in your basically hung out to dry in a team meeting and dropped, possession is king and club and county football is a getting to be a similar model to rugby league, banks of three and four players defensively and attacking in staggered pods and braking the line of defence, any champion before 2012 would be eaten up and chewed out by the current football model and S&C to the tune of 6+ points and that cannot be argued against

bannside

Plus One.

Probably the most intense atmospheric and exhilarating match I have seen. Both teams going full pelt. Fitness levels unreal with big hits going in all over the pitch in what was arguably the hardest physical battle ever in a final.

Those who say this match was drab don't understand it. Two fantastic teams going toe to toe. I think it was a classic that will be talked about for years.

Itchy

I thought it was missing some of the outstanding scores of previous contests, there were a few for sure but a lot of the time lads wouldn't take on the difficult shots. That said it was physical, engrossing, exciting and well fought. The team with the better panel won the day.

BallyroanAbu

Great game just a brilliant match for 70 mins.  Two weeks ago I thought Mayo would be hammered out the gate, how wrong I was.   I think we can analyse the game to death but I suppose over the last 3 years Mayo have lost all the huge games they played while all the time looking like winning.  I don't understand the human psyche but surely when in the melting pot there is something holding Mayo back.  I don't know how Roachford over comes this but it is surely a bigger issue than how they play on any given day.

Smokin Joe

Dublin are some team to be able to carry a forward that has no interest in ever even look like shooting.

I often think that the reason Armagh finally got over the line in 2002 is because we managed to find 6 scoring forwards; so I guess that's modern foootball and the constant desire to retain possession at all costs that sees Kilkenny as such a pivotal player for them.

yellowcard

Now the talk about the greatest side ever can begin again.

omagh_gael

Is my memory failing me or was Ciaran Kilkenny not a prolific scoring forward in his underage career and early days on the senior panel? It's mind-boggling how he turns down 90%+ of the 'makeable' shots he is presented with. Did he go through a bad period of misses that has lead to the current player he is?

imtommygunn

Quote from: Smokin Joe on October 02, 2016, 10:43:44 AM
Dublin are some team to be able to carry a forward that has no interest in ever even look like shooting.

I often think that the reason Armagh finally got over the line in 2002 is because we managed to find 6 scoring forwards; so I guess that's modern foootball and the constant desire to retain possession at all costs that sees Kilkenny as such a pivotal player for them.

The way the game is now i think 3 is enough scoring forwards. Donegal had mcbrearty, murphy and mcfadden. Kerry teams had guys like galvin and walsh who didn't massively challenge the scoreboard. Tyrone had a few too. 3 to me is the least you need. Dublin have a few now too. Flynn doesn't massively challenge the scoreboard but still a fantastic player.

Kurtz

I thought quite a few of the Dublin players including the subs didnt shoot from scoring positions, which is the reason it was a close game.
Thought a more confident Dublin forward line should have closed the game out with 20 mins left

yellowcard

Quote from: omagh_gael on October 02, 2016, 10:52:21 AM
Is my memory failing me or was Ciaran Kilkenny not a prolific scoring forward in his underage career and early days on the senior panel? It's mind-boggling how he turns down 90%+ of the 'makeable' shots he is presented with. Did he go through a bad period of misses that has lead to the current player he is?

Dublin version 2014 were the best footballing side in recent memory. It was total football that year until Donegal ambushed them. Since then Gavin has taken a more pragmatic approach and Kilkenny has been one of those players who has helped with this 'process'.

Dubh driocht

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 02, 2016, 10:16:00 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on October 02, 2016, 10:06:00 AM
Sadly Mayo got stung yesterday by one of the new trends in the game - management teams overthinking their roles.

Mayo's team basically picks itself but they felt the need to intervene. I actually feel sorry for Hennelly; it's not his fault that Rochford and co felt the need to invent a scenario to throw him in at the deep end. Mayo's outfield players didn't deserve to knock their bollocks out for 80 minutes to get undone by a blunder from their keeper.

Apart from that, I find some of the negative comments on this thread to be extraordinary. For my money, yesterday was an absolute classic between two throughly evenly matched teams. As a game it had absolutely everything, and if you feel the need to run it down I would politely suggest you f**k off and find a new sport to be glum about.

Congrats to Dublin. Their bench might have taken the plaudits but it was their defensive structure and ultra vigorous tackling that allowed the replacement forwards the opportunity and space to shine.
Very good assessment of the match I watched
Times two

ballinaman

After Coopers black I hoped we would avoid giving Deegan the opportunity to level things up. Losing Keegan and then Vaughan were massive blows.
Lads gave everything, Diarmuid O Connor needs to be rested until later stages of the league next year.

Lar Naparka

Anyone have an idea why David Clarke was dropped?
I'm not begrudging Dublin anything but I knew as the teams came out that Bob was going to commit at least one clanger and I could only pray that it would.t cost us dearly.
Some much for the power of prayer...
Going back to the time I first saw him in the minor decider against Tyrone (in 2008?) I always felt afraid when he had to reach for a dropping ball. He could be brilliant for the rest of the game but I knew that there would be at least one c**k up in him before the final whistle.
I heard that Clarke's poor kick outs were the cause of his omission but Hennelly was even worse always so why the change?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi