All Ireland Final Replay 1st October 2016 Dublin vs Mayo

Started by Hereiam, September 21, 2016, 10:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

And while it is still in my mind, what brilliant supporters Dublin have.

But what outstanding supporters from Mayo. These supporters just keep the faith year in year out and came out in both the drawn game and today to cheer on their team. Mayo must have outnumbered the Dubs today by 2:1 at least ?.

Farrandeelin

I'm depressed all evening. Don't want to go into blaming anyone at this early stage after the game. I'll watch it back before I comment further. Congrats to Dublin. Enjoy the win.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

That was awful. Just when you think you've been through all the nightmares possible in Mayo football, it gets crazier and more bizzare. This particular mare started at 10am with 'rumours' about Clarke being dropped.

I'm back at home, half-way through a fridge-pack and hoping against hope that I will wake up in the morning and I dreamt it all up.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on October 02, 2016, 12:36:58 AM
That was awful. Just when you think you've been through all the nightmares possible in Mayo football, it gets crazier and more bizzare. This particular mare started at 10am with 'rumours' about Clarke being dropped.

I'm back at home, half-way through a fridge-pack and hoping against hope that I will wake up in the morning and I dreamt it all up.

Was Regan frigged or what Moy. Bringing on Alan Dillion as if he was going to change anything was the second worst call of the day by Rochford.

mentalmick

Reasons for Mayo's defeat:

Hennelly - can't catch a simple ball and kick-outs were useless - if you have a goalkeeper who cannot catch an overhead ball and you still decide to play him then what do you expect;

Keegan, this was always coming, he has been constantly fouling off the ball all season and glad carma came back and bit him in the arse. Clear decision for his black and any Mayo people that disagree are blind IMHO;

Mayo management - selecting Kennelly instead of Clark - Clark has not put a put wrong all season albeit for 5 mins a fortnight ago - management trying to stamp their mark - brilliant if it pays off but they should take the consequences if it fails - big time in this case

Mayo players - getting rid of Holmes & Connelly last season after getting them to an AI Final - done a far better job of it than Rochford this season - would Holmes/Connelly have deselected Clark?

Aidan o'Shea - again fails to live up to pre-match expectations - looks great against the likes of Sligo etc, but not a big-time player.  Also still looks about 2-3st overweight and was clearly out of it going by RTE picture close-ups after 50 mins

Glad to see the better footballing team winning - even if it is the Dubs

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 02, 2016, 12:36:51 AM
I'm depressed all evening. Don't want to go into blaming anyone at this early stage after the game. I'll watch it back before I comment further. Congrats to Dublin. Enjoy the win.
+1
Too gutted to say more at the moment.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

moysider

Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 02, 2016, 01:42:44 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on October 02, 2016, 12:36:51 AM
+1
Too gutted to say more at the moment.

There's f**k all to be said and I've probably said too much already. I've no intention of watching it back either.
Groundhog Day on Netflix instead maybe.

maigheo

Quote from: mentalmick on October 02, 2016, 01:23:43 AM
Reasons for Mayo's defeat:

Hennelly - can't catch a simple ball and kick-outs were useless - if you have a goalkeeper who cannot catch an overhead ball and you still decide to play him then what do you expect;

Keegan, this was always coming, he has been constantly fouling off the ball all season and glad carma came back and bit him in the arse. Clear decision for his black and any Mayo people that disagree are blind IMHO;

Mayo management - selecting Kennelly instead of Clark - Clark has not put a put wrong all season albeit for 5 mins a fortnight ago - management trying to stamp their mark - brilliant if it pays off but they should take the consequences if it fails - big time in this case

Mayo players - getting rid of Holmes & Connelly last season after getting them to an AI Final - done a far better job of it than Rochford this season - would Holmes/Connelly have deselected Clark?

Aidan o'Shea - again fails to live up to pre-match expectations - looks great against the likes of Sligo etc, but not a big-time player.  Also still looks about 2-3st overweight and was clearly out of it going by RTE picture close-ups after 50 mins

Glad to see the better footballing team winning - even if it is the Dubs
Would you ever fu-k off back to what ever hole you crawled out of.

omagh_gael

yellowcard

My heart still goes out to Mayo, left everything out there and the game could have gone either way. Players like Durcan and Diarmuid O'Connor did not deserve to be on the losing side. Dublins superior fire power off the bench won it for them with Brogan, MDMA and particularly Costello making a significant impact. However when all is said and done it was an outstanding game of football, a pure war of attrition and maybe the best final for 10+ years that was decided by Deegan making a few marginal calls in favour of the Dubs.

seafoid

Dublin 1-15 Mayo 1-14: How the Mayo players rated
Cillian O'Connor's contribution impossible to ignore but Robert Hennelly's selection a disastrous one
about 12 hours ago
Gavin Cummiskey at Croke Park
Robert Hennelly 3
Disastrous selection. His floating kick outs gifted Dublin at least three points, contributed to Lee Keegan's black card while his inability to gather a routine high ball and subsequent dragging down of Paddy Andrews saw Diarmuid Connolly rifle the penalty that crushed Mayo's dream.
Patrick Durcan 7
Contributed enough to be an All-Ireland winner. What a curse it is. Enormous credit for the early man marking job he did on Paddy Andrews while his second point fell from the heavens
Keith Higgins 7
Showed up when Mayo needed a leader to drive them forward but Dean Rock had the better of him and landed two in the opening six minutes. It could have been 1-1 but Higgins recovered like he always does.
Brendan Harrison 7
What a talent. Bettered the silencing of Bernard Brogan in the draw by minding Paul Mannion and there was the pick-pocketing of Kevin McManamon at the moment that a goal would have seen a five point chasm opened between the sides.
Lee Keegan 7
Blacked carded just before half-time, it's an unfair place where Mayo footballers exist. Was doing more than keeping tabs on Connolly, who could have been black carded for an earlier incident Maurice Deegan missed, turning his bitter rival into a defender and plundering a magnificent goal.
Colm Boyle 7

TV View: Mayo's mojo not enough to break the spell of history
Keith Duggan: Dublin's Invincibles leave Mayo faraway, so close
Dublin 1-15 Mayo 1-14: How the Dublin players rated
Absolute warrior for 71 minutes, mixing with any Dub who would have him, combining man marking duties on Kevin McManamon and a ball carrying threat through midfield.
Donal Vaughan 6
Took over Diarmuid Connolly duties after Keegan walked and was unable to return for the second half after taking heavy punishment including a horrendous dunt when running at the aforementioned man of steel.
Seamus O'Shea 7
Strange to see the eldest O'Shea brother play to the death but he was inspirational during Mayo's third quarter refusal to wilt. There is a season or two left in those legs yet.
Tom Parsons 5
Lacked the pace to beat James McCarthy to a loose ball with a five metre head start. But his one gear did himself or Mayo no shame at all.
Diarmuid O'Connor 6
Kicked a nice score to ignite Mayo's second half assault but was lucky to avoid a card of some hue for some wild behaviour in the vicious period of this match. Needed to score more than 0-1, didn't.
Kevin McLoughlin 7
Prototype of the modern footballer. Covered miles of grass switching from sweeper to chief raider, kicking a point on 53 minutes that was vital to stem the leakage following Connolly's penalty.
Jason Doherty 6
Replaced by Alan Dillon on the hour. Didn't shirk the violent patches and could have been sanctioned but he worked as hard as any man on the field. Problem is Mayo needed a score or two from him to prevail.
Andy Moran 7
Last Mayo man to leave the pitch. Pulled this magnificent, lonely furrow season from a deep well of footballing excellence but that may be it for the 32 year old. Great point after sending Cian O'Sullivan one way then the other.
Aidan O'Shea 6
Not enough. Not from a man of his power, his natural footballing talent. Did glide so cleverly in front of O'Sullivan to set up Lee Keegan's goal but at the end the Dublin defenders swallowed him whole on square's edge.
Cillian O'Connor 8
On his shoulders Mayo were carried. Ten shots at the posts, nine made it through, the last one faded away. A great footballer but that greatness comes as much from his resilience and desire to win as talent.

orangeman

Quote from: yellowcard on October 02, 2016, 07:28:04 AM
My heart still goes out to Mayo, left everything out there and the game could have gone either way. Players like Durcan and Diarmuid O'Connor did not deserve to be on the losing side. Dublins superior fire power off the bench won it for them with Brogan, MDMA and particularly Costello making a significant impact. However when all is said and done it was an outstanding game of football, a pure war of attrition and maybe the best final for 10+ years that was decided by Deegan making a few marginal calls in favour of the Dubs.

I would add Boyle to that list of Mayo lads who didn't deserve to be on the losing side - on reflection Mayo were outstanding. They gave everything they had an essentially a mistake and a couple of referee calls won it for Dublin and lost it for Mayo. Mayo will be back.
Dublin are a great outfit. Kerry and Mayo over 3 games threw the kitchen sink at them but Dublin kept going and eventually came out on top.

brokencrossbar1

The goalkeeping decision has been done to death. Feel for the lad as a keepers mistakes are more cruelly exposed. The thing is if it worked out the then is a master stroke...the foibles of management. As for the player ratings in the Times all I can say is 'it wasn't me!!!'  Few angry mayo heads attacked me on Twitter and FB😂

I thought the lose of Keegan was actually more game defining than the goalkeeping issue. He, Boyle and Durcan  able to punish Dublin from deep and keep their forwards on the back foot. Without him Boyle and Durcan were were done in the last 5 minutes and didn't have the zip they could have used to force their way through or draw frees in easier positions. They kept getting bottled up in traffic and ultimately over turning the ball. COC looked leggy, AOS didn't really deliver, Moran not as influential as he was last day out(no question of his effort though). Dublin also simply had more effective options off the bench. Brogan Costello and McAuley in my opinion won it. 4-5 points came either directly from them or through frees won. That's 1/4 of the teams scores. If your bench is doing that then you're a long way to winning a game.

Hard luck Mayo but also well done Dublin. Strip away the media glorification of this team and you can see a really top team that knows how to play, how to adapt on-field but also has the edge that great teams have. That edge is summed up by Connolly. He seems to be maturing a bit and his passion in the speech after the game was great to see. Maybe I might like him some day!

Mac2

Quote from: moysider on October 02, 2016, 12:36:58 AM

That was out 2 hours after the drawn match, we'll always find some crackpot way to lose.

thewobbler

Sadly Mayo got stung yesterday by one of the new trends in the game - management teams overthinking their roles.

Mayo's team basically picks itself but they felt the need to intervene. I actually feel sorry for Hennelly; it's not his fault that Rochford and co felt the need to invent a scenario to throw him in at the deep end. Mayo's outfield players didn't deserve to knock their bollocks out for 80 minutes to get undone by a blunder from their keeper.

Apart from that, I find some of the negative comments on this thread to be extraordinary. For my money, yesterday was an absolute classic between two throughly evenly matched teams. As a game it had absolutely everything, and if you feel the need to run it down I would politely suggest you f**k off and find a new sport to be glum about.

Congrats to Dublin. Their bench might have taken the plaudits but it was their defensive structure and ultra vigorous tackling that allowed the replacement forwards the opportunity and space to shine.