All Ireland Final Replay 1st October 2016 Dublin vs Mayo

Started by Hereiam, September 21, 2016, 10:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crete Boom

Quote from: Canalman on September 28, 2016, 11:10:45 AM
Quote from: Crete Boom on September 28, 2016, 10:40:04 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on September 28, 2016, 10:01:08 AM
Seems a bit excessive this time though. Connolly is no saint and Cavanagh was a villain until a year or two ago and is now whiter than white making Keegan look bad. Sure Crowley was always as bad on Cavanagh anyway when he marked him.

Do you not just think it is a case of the Dubs camp taking advantage of the newspapers that are desperate to sell papers? With Dublin being where they will sell the most papers , having a piece with some ex Dublin hero attached to it is going to sell more copy than with an ex Mayo stars' name attached to it.

If the Dubs think they will sink Mayo by pressurising a ref to book or send off Keegan through the papers then let them at it but I think they have gone way over the top this week and it could well backfire on them.

If it is the article I read this morning, I can't see what the fuss is all about. Gist of what I read is that DC is usually targetted ( correct ) by opponents to try and put him off his game because of his suspect temperament (correct) and that any defender would be mad not to do so (correct again).

Bit of faux outrage if you ask me.

In fairness Canalman I don't think it is the usual run of the mill hypersentive angry reaction that you would usually get from my county at this time of year.
Ciaran Whelan had a full edited package showing the evil Lee keegan (which is fair enough if a Mayo pundit had a right of reply to provide balance but this didn't happen) ,
then Alan Brogan had two or three pieces already this week which were careful to highlight that Keegan is the guilty party in this duel and ask the ref to punish Keegan accordingly thus protecting the victim Connolly ,
then Pillar was on RTE radio banging on with the exact same points as Alan and again asking the Ref to take action against Keegan , yesterday Paul Clarke was in the Irish Independent with the same again and ,
lastly Ger Brennans piece in the Examiner with the same key message , Keegan isn't marking Connolly he is taking him out of the game and the only reason Connolly looses his temper is because of this and the Ref/Umpires etc.. need to curb Keegan.

Now Keegan is no saint but is he any worse than Cooper or McMahon (another victim of a media campaign last year)? I would argue no and the reason Keegan v Connolly is of more interest than O'Shea v McMahon or Boyle v Flynn or Cooper v Moran  , is because Flynn , Moran and O'Shea are much better than Connolly at keeping their cool ( much more likely to give it back subtly) thus not likely to blow up and be sent off!!

yellowcard

A lot of condescending nonsense has been written about Mayo since the first game in the media. The general narrative is that Dublin can't be as bad again while Mayo played well. Prior to the first game i was sure that Dublin would win it but that was based purely on both sides form this season. What the first game showed is that the only true reliable form guide were the previous encounters between these 2 sides. Mayo still appear to retain their capabilities from the last few years based on the performance the first day. However I think that the first game was a case of both teams playing below par in an attacking sense, not just Dublin. Going into the replay I'd still make Dublin slight favourites but to nowhere near the same extent that they were the first day. Mayo mightn't have the big trophy to show for it but they have arguably been the best side over the last 20 years not to win an AI. I would love to see that change on Saturday and if they could happen to do it against a brilliant Dublin side it would cement their legacy even more. On the other hand if they don't achieve it, there is no shame in getting beaten against the team of a generation.   

ballinaman

There is definitely a possibility that Dublin won't be as bad again, they might be worse.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: rosnarun on September 28, 2016, 10:49:57 AM
Seems a bit excessive this time though. Connolly is no saint and Cavanagh was a villain until a year or two ago and is now whiter than white making Keegan look bad. Sure Crowley was always as bad on Cavanagh anyway when he marked him.

Do you not just think it is a case of the Dubs camp taking advantage of the newspapers that are desperate to sell papers? With Dublin being where they will sell the most papers , having a piece with some ex Dublin hero attached to it is going to sell more copy than with an ex Mayo stars' name attached to it.

If the Dubs think they will sink Mayo by pressurising a ref to book or send off Keegan through the papers then let them at it but I think they have gone way over the top this week and it could well backfire on them.
id seriously worry about Deegan he seems a very weak willed character that the crowd know they can get at , like a lot of refs he seems to pick a few rules to ref on a certain day and ignore 90% of the rest of whats going on
You are dead right, ros.
Deegan can be easily influenced by what he reads in the papers. Remember the AI against Donegal when Brolly had waged a one man war against Horan and the team after the win over Dublin.
Mayo started off badly and the backs were totally disorganised as Donegal mounted attack after attack. Both Boyle and Vaughan got yellow cards in the opening few minutes for fouling their markers. But even the commentators were amazed that Deegan would dish them out that early in the game before the players had a chance to settle down.
They fouled alright but getting a yellow at any stage of the game would have been harsh.
Brolly saw things in that game that nobody else saw. 
He capped it all by saying that he had a few pints with Pat Gilroy afterwards and Gilroy was "seething" at Mayo's tactics. 
Now, the thick plottens as my Connemara buddy used to say......
Dublin was the side that came to the game with a reputation for heavy tactics and oin the first few minutes, McStay and his co-commentator were amazed at some of their tackles  that McQuillen was letting go.
No doubt Dublin were giving better than they got but Brolly saw otherwise.
Deegan was watching every Mayo move but saw sweet feck all wrong with Donegal's tactics. At that  time, Donegal had an even worse reputation than Dublin for sneaky stuff.
So I am worried that Deegan could be influenced by the witch hunt against Keegan and pay no attention to McMahon at the other end.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

criostlinn

Quote from: The Aristocrat on September 28, 2016, 09:28:46 AM
Never mind the papers or that rubbish you read on social media, Ask Comier or Cavanagh about Keegan, he has form for it, prevents the best players on each team by pulling, dragging, fouling, gets away with murder. But I understand why he does it and I would do the same every time. It is part of the game.

Yeah yeah I know the Dubs are no angels, Philly Mac this, Duirmo that, Cooper this.

Ask Comer about it. Are you for real. Have you asked Comer about it and what did he say.

Oh and here is the incident just so you can see iy and not be repeating shite your reading on Hill 16 Army
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izstyz9hbIg

Crete Boom

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 28, 2016, 11:47:36 AM

id seriously worry about Deegan he seems a very weak willed character that the crowd know they can get at , like a lot of refs he seems to pick a few rules to ref on a certain day and ignore 90% of the rest of whats going on
You are dead right, ros.
Deegan can be easily influenced by what he reads in the papers. Remember the AI against Donegal when Brolly had waged a one man war against Horan and the team after the win over Dublin.
Mayo started off badly and the backs were totally disorganised as Donegal mounted attack after attack. Both Boyle and Vaughan got yellow cards in the opening few minutes for fouling their markers. But even the commentators were amazed that Deegan would dish them out that early in the game before the players had a chance to settle down.
They fouled alright but getting a yellow at any stage of the game would have been harsh.
He capped it all by saying that he had a few pints with Pat Gilroy afterwards and Gilroy was "seething" at Mayo's tactics. 
Dublin was the side that came to the game with a reputation for heavy tactics and oin the first few minutes, McStay and his co-commentator were amazed at some of their tackles  that McQuillen was letting go.
Deegan was watching every Mayo move but saw sweet feck all wrong with Donegal's tactics. At that  time, Donegal had an even worse reputation than Dublin for sneaky stuff.
So I am worried that Deegan could be influenced by the witch hunt against Keegan and pay no attention to McMahon at the other end.

That may all be true Lar but we didn't lose to Donegal because of those yellow cards and we didn't lose the 2013 final because McQuillan let the Dubs be aggressive/physical. If Lee gets the line unfairly while it piss me off big time I don't think it would stop Mayo from winning on Sat and anyway if Deegan does book Lee early he is the type of Ref that won't give him a second yellow (because it is an All Ireland final) unless Lee karate kicks him to the head or tears his arm off!!!

The Aristocrat

Quote from: criostlinn on September 28, 2016, 11:56:06 AM
Never mind the papers or that rubbish you read on social media, Ask Comier or Cavanagh about Keegan, he has form for it, prevents the best players on each team by pulling, dragging, fouling, gets away with murder. But I understand why he does it and I would do the same every time. It is part of the game.

Yeah yeah I know the Dubs are no angels, Philly Mac this, Duirmo that, Cooper this.

Ask Comer about it. Are you for real. Have you asked Comer about it and what did he say.

Oh and here is the incident just so you can see iy and not be repeating shite your reading on Hill 16 Army

I am not watching that link. Could be animal farm fun for all I know.

What are you on about , don't read social media rubbish (Hill 16 army or Mayo GAA pages are just as bad, its what gives GAA and fans a bad name) , I make up my own opinion and what I saw sitting in the canal end I think with about 10 to 15 min gone Connolly was dragged to the ground off the ball in front of the ref and it was play on. Don't get me wrong, il like Lee keegan and great player but would you not admit he gets away with a lot no? Just say you were not a Mayo fan what would you think?

Cue comparisons to other players, we are talking about Lee (The refs angel) Keegan here.

Crete Boom

Quote from: The Aristocrat on September 28, 2016, 12:18:12 PM

What are you on about , don't read social media rubbish (Hill 16 army or Mayo GAA pages are just as bad, its what gives GAA and fans a bad name) , I make up my own opinion and what I saw sitting in the canal end I think with about 10 to 15 min gone Connolly was dragged to the ground off the ball in front of the ref and it was play on. Don't get me wrong, il like Lee keegan and great player but would you not admit he gets away with a lot no? Just say you were not a Mayo fan what would you think?

Cue comparisons to other players, we are talking about Lee (The refs angel) Keegan here.

Just say you were not a Dublin fan and read back what you just posted and have been posting for the last three weeks , what would you think?

The Aristocrat

Quote from: Crete Boom on September 28, 2016, 12:36:23 PM

Just say you were not a Dublin fan and read back what you just posted and have been posting for the last three weeks , what would you think?

I think Lee Keegan gets away with murder by the refs.

I think Philly Mc gets away with murder too by the refs.

Its how cute you go about getting away with murder that counts.

I think James Mc black card was the harshest black card in the history of the black card and a contributing factor is Mayo are soft or feign a lot.

Look I don't want it turn into Hoganstand forum or as you say Facebook page 101.

JoG2

If this is the incident involving the ripped jersey,  Connolly is the first to grab a hold of Keegan's jersey.  Anyhoo,  I enjoy their battles.  The Mayo men are getting awfully paranoid and the  Dubs awfully defensive and the Rossies are still clean buck mad...

Fuzzman

In AI finals referees tend to relax the rules a bit and let a lot of things go in order to let the game flow. I think the ref in the last game did this but maybe too much and so there was a lot of unsavoury stuff going on.
I think it would be no harm for the ref to speak to both teams before the match and tell them if there is any special attention being handed out to stop players then yellows will be issued early so that the players being fouled don't have to take the law into their own hands. This way players will be forewarned and should cut it out or know they will pay the price.

A few saying Keegan is almost justified in fouling Connolly the whole game because he's hot headed and going to retaliate. Sean Cavanagh is not a player who retaliates easy as he's put up with a lot of shite over the years.
I am no fan of Connolly or Dublin but think the refs have to protect a player when he is being repeatly fouled and roughed up otherwise the situation will escalate. I think McMahon is a dirtier player than Keegan in some ways but he won't continually sacrifice his own game to take his man out of the game in the same way Keegan will.

To me it's pretty simple in that if the ref would referee the game properly then it would stop all this nonsense. When the linesman spots an incident he reports it to the ref. The ref then books the player in question (NOT both of them unless he retaliates) and the matter is dealt with.

Do Mayo posters disagree with the line "Keegan isn't marking Connolly he is taking him out of the game and the only reason Connolly looses his temper is because of this and the Ref/Umpires etc.. need to curb Keegan."?
Yes they also need to curb McMahon and whoever else

whitey

Quote from: Fuzzman on September 28, 2016, 12:56:25 PM
In AI finals referees tend to relax the rules a bit and let a lot of things go in order to let the game flow. I think the ref in the last game did this but maybe too much and so there was a lot of unsavoury stuff going on.
I think it would be no harm for the ref to speak to both teams before the match and tell them if there is any special attention being handed out to stop players then yellows will be issued early so that the players being fouled don't have to take the law into their own hands. This way players will be forewarned and should cut it out or know they will pay the price.

A few saying Keegan is almost justified in fouling Connolly the whole game because he's hot headed and going to retaliate. Sean Cavanagh is not a player who retaliates easy as he's put up with a lot of shite over the years.
I am no fan of Connolly or Dublin but think the refs have to protect a player when he is being repeatly fouled and roughed up otherwise the situation will escalate. I think McMahon is a dirtier player than Keegan in some ways but he won't continually sacrifice his own game to take his man out of the game in the same way Keegan will.

To me it's pretty simple in that if the ref would referee the game properly then it would stop all this nonsense. When the linesman spots an incident he reports it to the ref. The ref then books the player in question (NOT both of them unless he retaliates) and the matter is dealt with.

Do Mayo posters disagree with the line "Keegan isn't marking Connolly he is taking him out of the game and the only reason Connolly looses his temper is because of this and the Ref/Umpires etc.. need to curb Keegan."?

Fuzzman.....I head from 3 people who were sitting behind the goal that Cavanagh shouldered Keegan in the back as the teams made their way in for the start of the second half. Cavanagh instigated the grappling that got both of them a yellow card

He then hit AOS with a high forearm....looking at the replay it was more mistimed than malicious , but still a yellow all day long

So please spare me the Cavangh as victim spiel

westbound

Quote from: whitey on September 28, 2016, 01:05:11 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on September 28, 2016, 12:56:25 PM

Fuzzman.....I head from 3 people who were sitting behind the goal that Cavanagh shouldered Keegan in the back as the teams made their way in for the start of the second half. Cavanagh instigated the grappling that got both of them a yellow card

He then hit AOS with a high forearm....looking at the replay it was more mistimed than yellow, but still a yellow all day long

So please spare me the Cavangh as victim spiel

This was probably intentional on Cavanagh's part to get keegan booked.

If I was connolly on Saturday, I'd start a grabbling match straight away with Keegan (even before throw in). They both get booked and then both have to be careful for the rest of the game. But as the defender, it would mean that Keegan couldn't tackle or hold/pull as much as defender normally would.

Now, obviously that comes with risk as Connolly is as likely to get a second yellow as anyone but it'd be worth the risk for me.

Same goes for any other forward that's struggling with 'close attention' from mcmahon or cooper or whoever. Get the defender booked as early as possible!

Lar Naparka

Fair enough points but we are talking about Keegan and Connolly and I am saying DC can give as much as he gets whenever this awesome twosome gets together.

I mentioned a few pages ago that soon after the start of the '13 final, a camera caught an off-the-ball incident where Saint Diarmuid was to be clearly seen jabbing his fingers into Keegan's back while Leroy kept looking straight ahead while attempting top to knock Connolly's hand away by elbowing back.
Our bucko  was clearly not the instigator here.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Crete Boom on September 28, 2016, 11:56:38 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 28, 2016, 11:47:36 AM

You are dead right, ros.

That may all be true Lar but we didn't lose to Donegal because of those yellow cards and we didn't lose the 2013 final because McQuillan let the Dubs be aggressive/physical. If Lee gets the line unfairly while it piss me off big time I don't think it would stop Mayo from winning on Sat and anyway if Deegan does book Lee early he is the type of Ref that won't give him a second yellow (because it is an All Ireland final) unless Lee karate kicks him to the head or tears his arm off!!!
Nah, but the point I was making is that Deegan can be influenced by what he reads.