Norn Iron gets the chop at GAA game

Started by longballin, September 13, 2016, 12:10:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

Quote from: Throw ball on September 14, 2016, 03:48:18 PM
Is the use of the 6 counties symbol not more a 'never thought about it' moment rather than any deliberate slight by the company. I know I saw one of the directors at an Armagh Intermediate championship match. I would assume that the sponsorship was a promotional rather than political decision.

this is exactly it. A local sign maker would have put the sign together with an image file from the advertisers. Offending the easily offended was probably not a fore front of his thinking.

What if it was a small Tyrone based supermarket chain (with 6 shops) had an add featuring a map of the county of Tyrone with the location of the 6 supermarkets on it? you wouldn't need to see the rest of the country, only the area they have the locations in. Are we hating this as well?
The Donnelly group sell in a reck of locations in the north, and have a map to show the locations. The rest of the map would be empty if it showed the full 32 counties. Seriously, some boys are not happy unless they are feeling downtrodden

seafoid

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on September 14, 2016, 02:56:01 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 14, 2016, 01:26:36 PM
NI is not something the GAA recognises. I don't think it should be featured at GAA matches, any more than the butcher's apron should.

There is a difference between "featuring" and having a tacit acknowledgement of reality.  The ad only reflects the fact that Donnelly's business is in a part of the world called Northern Ireland.  Just like taking sterling at the stile acknowledges that Northern Ireland is part of the UK.

Plus as members of the GAA surely people want to promote the games?

Michael Hasson talks of "outreach to unionists" and Ulster Council signed up to "Sport Uniting Communities". It seems incongruous to say Ulster GAA wants unionists involved (and take grants for it through outreach schemes) but then sends the message that any mention or acknowledgement of Northern Ireland (even on the periphery) is unacceptable.  If this club approves of what happened the ad, they should also table an object through County Board to GAA participation schemes like "Sport Uniting Communities" and cancel the "unionist outreach" as they involve recognising Northern Ireland is part of the UK.

/Jim.
Sterling is the currency in use in NI so it's not comparable IMO.
NI is not a fact of nature. It's a political arrangement that the GAA as an all Ireland body does not recognise
If you want unionist outreach there are other ways of doing it

haranguerer

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 link=topic=27309.msg1625571#msg1625571
Two genuine questions:

list]
[li]If you see this a reminder of being a second class citizen, do you not see Ulster Council's outreach initiatives to unionists as a reminder too? (Seeing as it is specifically targeting people who believe Northern Ireland should exist)

Is the domain name ".co.uk" on an ad also a reminder and as such unwelcome in a GAA ground?[/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]

If no to these, why are the different to the picture on the ad?

/Jim.

The use of .co.uk is a practicality, same as their address having a UK postcode, and their mobile numbers being UK ones. It is a separate jurisdiction, and there are many scenarios where that has to be accepted - queens head on the pound etc  ::), but a banner at a GAA match shouldn't one of them.

Ulster council outreaches to unionists are not comparable at all. If your aim is the promotion of a 32 county Ireland, you'll have to promote it to unionists too ;)

I don't think anyone thinks its a deliberate slight, but its certainly an advertising faux pas, and was always likely to be highlighted.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: seafoid on September 14, 2016, 04:06:19 PM
Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on September 14, 2016, 02:56:01 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 14, 2016, 01:26:36 PM
NI is not something the GAA recognises. I don't think it should be featured at GAA matches, any more than the butcher's apron should.

There is a difference between "featuring" and having a tacit acknowledgement of reality.  The ad only reflects the fact that Donnelly's business is in a part of the world called Northern Ireland.  Just like taking sterling at the stile acknowledges that Northern Ireland is part of the UK.

Plus as members of the GAA surely people want to promote the games?

Michael Hasson talks of "outreach to unionists" and Ulster Council signed up to "Sport Uniting Communities". It seems incongruous to say Ulster GAA wants unionists involved (and take grants for it through outreach schemes) but then sends the message that any mention or acknowledgement of Northern Ireland (even on the periphery) is unacceptable.  If this club approves of what happened the ad, they should also table an object through County Board to GAA participation schemes like "Sport Uniting Communities" and cancel the "unionist outreach" as they involve recognising Northern Ireland is part of the UK.

/Jim.
Sterling is the currency in use in NI so it's not comparable IMO.
NI is not a fact of nature. It's a political arrangement that the GAA as an all Ireland body does not recognise
If you want unionist outreach there are other ways of doing it

I don't get the difference on the currency but maybe that is me.  I don't think any state is "a fact of nature", they are all "political" by their nature.

It's not a case of me "wanting" unionist outreach, it is the GAA's published policy. 

In essence this club are telling a 6 county business (which many are) that if they are showing a map with their outlets they need to add in the 26 counties (where they have no outlets) in case they remind anyone that Northern Ireland exists (albeit as a political arrangement).

/Jim.

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: haranguerer on September 14, 2016, 04:24:56 PM
The use of .co.uk is a practicality, same as their address having a UK postcode, and their mobile numbers being UK ones. It is a separate jurisdiction...

The purpose of the map was most likely to illustrate where their outlets were.

The fact that their outlets are all in Northern Ireland is also a practicality and a consequence of being in a separate jurisdiction.: Just like their domain name, postcode and phone numbers.

To me I don't get it but I can accept that some are offended by this.  I am also glad that at least some acknowledge that it was likely to be an oversight than coat trailing of some sort.  I also think it didn't do promotion of the games a service but obviously that is trumped by political sensitivities for some.

/Jim.

armaghniac

On a point of detail, their postcode and phone number is a function of where their premises are and nobody would note that in any way. The use of a co.uk website is a choice, and all other things being equal I would sooner do business with someone with a .ie address or at least a .com one.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

square_ball

I've heard it all now - not doing business with a company based on their website domain!

The banner is a non issue except for the easily offended amongst us which by the looks of is alive and well on the gaaboard.

Rois

Quote from: armaghniac on September 14, 2016, 06:10:31 PM
On a point of detail, their postcode and phone number is a function of where their premises are and nobody would note that in any way. The use of a co.uk website is a choice, and all other things being equal I would sooner do business with someone with a .ie address or at least a .com one.
Donnelly Group gave my club £50 when I bought a car from them back in Jan. That to me is more powerful than a domain name.

armaghniac

Quote from: square_ball on September 14, 2016, 06:25:14 PM
I've heard it all now - not doing business with a company based on their website domain!

The banner is a non issue except for the easily offended amongst us which by the looks of is alive and well on the gaaboard.

No problem, as noted above the GAA (and so Gaaboard)  is for unionists too.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Rossfan

Shhhhhh Rois
The Galballyites will be round to take that British money off ye.
Such coat trailing :o
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Wildweasel74

these idiots crying about the signage would be the same type of person who support English soccer teams which i have little time for, either go full die- hard f**king republican and be offending by everything, dont pick and chose what offends you, or catch a grip. Would a Donnelly group sign with just County Tyrone on it suit them?, And if Galbally ever took an grants or lotto funding funding from their english masters as they see it please f**king return it

square_ball

They got a couple of hundred thousand from Sport NI a few years ago for the development of their grounds! No problem with the northern Ireland name back then it seems.

T Fearon

Does the Donnelly Group not sponsor NI soccer at Windsor Park? Petty.Dont they also sponsor club championships in Armagh and Tyrone?

longballin

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 14, 2016, 08:31:11 PM
these idiots crying about the signage would be the same type of person who support English soccer teams which i have little time for, either go full die- hard f**king republican and be offending by everything, dont pick and chose what offends you, or catch a grip. Would a Donnelly group sign with just County Tyrone on it suit them?, And if Galbally ever took an grants or lotto funding funding from their english masters as they see it please f**king return it

The same boy wouldn't be supporting an English soccer team I can assure you    ;D

HiMucker

Some of the advertising signs at our own ground and others state "Londonderry", should we pull them down?