Under age amalgamation

Started by Portbush, August 31, 2016, 09:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burdizzo

A bit of a one-off: Clonad are w/ Ratheniska qt u14, and on their own at u12.

Helix

Clonad and Park together couldn't field on own this year due to small numbers and Ballinakill were in same boat. Boat joined to get game time for the lads.Important to keep the small bunch game time.  Successful year.  :)
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail

El Jefe

With the strength of the St Paul's & the weakness of Emo and Courtwood been shown this year you'd think the amalgamation issue would pop its head up again this winter. From the outside looking in it makes sense. Have them together from when they start playing U6's and then pull them apart after Minors. Strange when the underage sides are doing so well. More to it I know but should be considered, in my opinion anyway

Portbush

I agree with you there. We all know that the rock are in with them but if the rock weren't they would be still strong I don't know if they would be winning but they would  be there or there abouts. This could be just a couple of good teams they have now but the to me the only way these young players are going to improve is for them to join(easier said than done)the only way young players will improve is playing at the top level.if emo go down tomorrow you will have one of the strongest under age teams in Laois feeding 3 intermediate teams.so is Laois football benefiting from not only St. Paul's but these 3 or more clubs amalgamation no it's not my opinion

SCFC

Why just them though? Why not Annanough and Timahoe (and possibly Park Ratheniska)? Why not a Mountmellick/Kilcavan/The Rock combo? The 2 Arles teams have to think about what the future holds too?

El Jefe

So Emo did go down & St Paul's won their second straight U16A Championship to go with their Minor & they'll probably win the U17's too - all this to go feed Intermediate teams shortly. Crazy

SCFC

Quote from: El Jefe on September 19, 2016, 09:27:33 AM
So Emo did go down & St Paul's won their second straight U16A Championship to go with their Minor & they'll probably win the U17's too - all this to go feed Intermediate teams shortly. Crazy
Emo could be senior again in 2018.

Oblivion

It makes perfect and logical sense for underage amalgamation and the proof of this is the success
of St. Pauls. As I have seen in the other posts The Rock only join in with St Pauls at under 16
level but the vast percentage of the players at St. Pauls come from the Courtwood, Emo
catchment areas. Its crazy in St Pauls that when they reach 18 they then have to play against each other.
If you are looking to break the coronation of Portlaoise every year, the County Board must encourage
or have a plan regarding amalgamating regions and having a proper structured championship in place.
It also has to be done by a willing bunch of like minded players, If you are relying upon clubs committees
to arrange these things, Portlaoise will be heading for 30 in a row. The initial reluctance of clubs will eventually
subside and every player and every team will find their level. It also reduces the costs by concentrating on
a centre of excellence within one club but using the other club for junior matches etc. Strip out the history and pontification
and you might get somewhere someday.   

El Jefe

From what I know the vast majority are for it from St Pauls, Courtwood & Emo but as usual there's a few people stuck in the dark ages who are intent on blocking the whole thing. More concerned with the clubs identity than what's best for the players and their future

Don Draper

Maybe the players are interested in the Clubs identity as well?

El Jefe

I think the players and the parents are the ones who are the most for it

Don Draper

Quote from: El Jefe on September 22, 2016, 01:01:41 PM
I think the players and the parents are the ones who are the most for it
Its my experience that the players are happy where they are, and if they could get a senior outlet via an area side, and continue to play with their friends and neighbours, they'd be just as happy.

As for the parents, enough said.

Oblivion

History is important to people when they retire and their pictures are up on the wall.
Players are looking for success and the ability to play within a competitive team. Consistency
is important and to break up kids who have been playing together from age 6-17 due
to history and old values and views would be a real shame.

Maybe they will have to form as a junior club and move it forward or knock heads together.

If it was any other sport it would be viewed as madness that the nursery of success at juvenile level
is diluted considering that players could play for either club as its the same parish. if all the players
chose one club over another I wonder what would happen.

Don Draper

Quote from: Oblivion on September 22, 2016, 01:33:56 PM
History is important to people when they retire and their pictures are up on the wall.
Players are looking for success and the ability to play within a competitive team.
Can they not put themselves on the walls of their Junior/Intermediate Club? Emo have pictures on the wall from a few years back when they won the IFC. Courtwood have pictures of themselves on their walls when they won the JFC only a few years back.

If amalgamations are for the right reasons, I have no issues with them, but people seem to be thinking one or two underage teams are going to take down the Town. Seems a lot of pressure to put on a few U16's and Minors, some of whom may not even be playing the game in 5 years, and thats nothing to do with either Club, just natural drop off.

Oblivion

Yes point well made. And hopefully a number of the 16's 17 and minors will end up in college
and will be playing ,and under pressure to play for their college team or neighbourhood of
residence. Ultimately with the drop off, you are probably only talking about 3-4 players every year
moving up. But would Emo or Courtwood not better with the likes of Darren Strong and Niall Donoher
playing on the same side.

This is precisely the point that an amalgamation of both clubs would appear to be the best way to combat all
those factors. Statistically the team would do better if had more players to pick from as opposed to splitting
them up. I am sure both clubs could build an extension on both their club walls for pictures, if successful.

There is a heap of new houses in that area who have no affiliation to either club but have only known St. Pauls.

Amalgamations for the sake of it are pointless but there is probably not many clubs which are so intrinsically linked
than St Pauls and the two clubs of Emo and Courtwood.