Ballyjamesduff

Started by Hereiam, August 30, 2016, 10:35:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

Are you suggesting that murder-suicide involving one's wife and kids is something that is NOT seen as abhorrent or is seen as even acceptable?

Not by society in general. But I'm saying that by society explaining away the reasoning of such individuals in a small way 'could' provide another troubled individual with the rational to think he was valid in his warped thought process. Safer to represent such individuals as totally heinous in the hope that that 100% abhorrent sentiment toward such people 'might' stop someone acting in such a manner in future. Just my thoughts on the matter. I could be totally wrong

This type of act is not rational. Whether the man had ongoing mental illness issues or had some kind of psychotic episode, I seriously doubt if the thought of society tut-tutting would have overwhelmed any destructive thoughts or urges or twisted logic he was experiencing.

As I say ... I don't know, but have a suspicion that memetics could play a part especially if these murder/suicide rate are higher than average in one country over another similar population.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

seafoid

Dire Ear

From the previous story----"In her words: a mother never abandons her children."  This could explain alot

seafoid

Quote from: J70 on August 31, 2016, 12:52:54 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on August 31, 2016, 12:30:29 PM
A concerned parent no doubt  :-\

Whatever the rationale of these murderers, their actions have to be vigorously decried so as to in some way offer an alternative perspective to the perverted thoughts of potential future perpetrators.

Are you suggesting that murder-suicide involving one's wife and kids is something that is NOT seen as abhorrent or is seen as even acceptable?

This type of act is not rational. Whether the man had ongoing mental illness issues or had some kind of psychotic episode, I seriously doubt if the thought of society tut-tutting would have overwhelmed any destructive thoughts or urges or twisted logic he was experiencing.
Suicide is not rational

bennydorano

I fail to see what's not rational about it? Very logical step in certain circumstances.

seafoid

Quote from: bennydorano on August 31, 2016, 09:12:48 PM
I fail to see what's not rational about it? Very logical step in certain circumstances.
The brain isn't rational when people are suicidal. Problems other people can get out of drag certain people down.
There is usually a solution to even the worst stuff.

omaghjoe

Quote from: seafoid on August 31, 2016, 09:37:06 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on August 31, 2016, 09:12:48 PM
The brain isn't rational when people are suicidal. Problems other people can get out of drag certain people down.
There is usually a solution to even the worst stuff.

Its not that its not rational, its a different way of thinking to the conventional.

We usually innately feel usually that preservation of our lives is the most important thing to us, but what if its not, what if you dont have that feeling that your life is important...?

If someone feels that life is not worth living its a perfectly logical action.

orangeman

Regardless of the motive, mental illness or whatever, the murders were simply wrong on all levels. We can't begin to comprehend the mindset of the person who carried out these deeds. There are five people dead and the thought of someone killing the children as they lay in their bedrooms is sickening and revolting. You couldn't or wouldn't do what was done here to a dog.

Speculating on motives and who done it is a waste of time.
RIP.

omagh_gael

I always found this TED talk to be an incredibly powerful insight into the mind of someone who was actively suicidal. The shrunken field of perception is a useful metaphor to describe the so-called 'selfish' nature of suicide.

https://youtu.be/D1QoyTmeAYw

WT4E

I haven't commented on this to now - and wasn't going to but in my mind the dressing up of this tradgedy is unbelievable by some press and posters. I get depression and suicide on a certain level but what happen here was a man was a psychopath that killed his young children and wife and was controlled to the end of his own life. Disgusting!

seafoid

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/cavan-murder-suicide-hernamewasclodagh-trends-on-social-media-418960.html

Meanwhile, the head of Women's Aid, Margaret Martin, says that some users of its helpline have been triggered by the tragic event in Cavan.

"A couple of women mentioned the case in Cavan when they phoned our helpline. They found it triggering. We are really aware of the amount of women who are afraid because of this case," said Ms Martin.

nrico2006

Disgrace that the da was buried with the family
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

seafoid

The mother and kids didn't deserve to die. The State won't do anything about this issue. So more innocent people will be killed.

clarshack

this was a barbaric and evil act and shouldn't be dressed up as anything else.

seafoid

Quote from: mrdeeds on September 04, 2016, 06:17:05 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 04, 2016, 06:12:51 PM
The mother and kids didn't deserve to die. The State won't do anything about this issue. So more innocent people will be killed.

Out of curiosity what could the state have done?
There has to be action on media reporting of these tragedies.
Support of mental illness is still quite hit and miss. A lot of people won't get help and of these a certain proportion will
be at risk of murdering their families