All-Ireland Final, September 18th, 2016 - Dublin v Mayo

Started by IolarCoisCuain, August 28, 2016, 07:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 18, 2016, 05:21:02 PM
there were probably 5 black card offences there which would been turfed out earlier in the championship,.i think that's what supporters get so annoyed with Refs, you don't know what you get from 1 day to the next as the refs don't apply the rules in the same way even when some calls are quite obvious but the ref either doesn't want to ruin a game or get the crowd on his back.

I think the ref stopped showing blacks. Must have been thinking about john gough in the 83 final and his reffing future!

While o'connor should have been black carded macauley should arguably have been off. He should have got a black for the sliding tackle on keegan. If it wasn't black it was a yellow then the yellow was a red.

Wildweasel74

he reffed Derry and Galway last year and was shocking, equally very poor in an ulster championship earlier this year too.

mrdeeds

whitey

Quote from: J70 on September 18, 2016, 05:12:55 PM
Well done Mayo, even if O'Connor should not have been on the field.

MCAuley should have been red carded. The bad calls evened themselves out

omagh_gael

Poor quality game but very exciting. Couple of initial thoughts are McAuley got away with an extremely dangerous neck pull down. Knew what he was doing too. Clear pick up off the ground by dub defender after the equaliser.  Black cards should be dispensed with, the inconsistencies are ridiculous at this stage.

galwayman

Last replay in 2000 Galway v Kerry was played on a Saturday as were the hurling replays of 2013 & 2014.

Zulu

Thought the referee did alright, the way some of you lads are going on the game will be non-contact soon enough.

Mightily impressed with Mayo's heart and they deserved their draw. Those of you questioning whether Dublin will be as bad again are failing to give Mayo due credit for what they can do against them. Dublin could struggle just as much the next day because Mayo match up well with Dublin. However, I still fear for Mayo as Dublin are unlikely to be as poor in front on the posts again and Mayo don't have the forwards to get it done against the best. You can't help but like this Mayo team though, they are a brilliant bunch of players who deserve all the support they get.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: omagh_gael on September 18, 2016, 05:39:19 PM
Poor quality game but very exciting. Couple of initial thoughts are McAuley got away with an extremely dangerous neck pull down. Knew what he was doing too. Clear pick up off the ground by dub defender after the equaliser.  Black cards should be dispensed with, the inconsistencies are ridiculous at this stage.

On the MacAuley one, Cillian O'Connor was once again leading into a player with his shoulder, it was about the third time he had done this in the game and is an equally dangerous offence.

Main Street

There's way too much focus on the ref's actions in that game, overall his influence was minimal. Imo the game happened  and the ref did his job. It's not his fault that the line between yellow and black is blurred and  decisions taken are open to be contradicted later in the game.
To the letter of the law, he would have been dealing cards for 75 minutes. He did well letting the game flow as much as possible. The tissue of mistakes by both teams, Mayo heart and the wet weather ruled that game, for the most part both teams played the game sportingly, within the boundaries.

imtommygunn

You would have said less on the ref if he hadn't black carded mccarthy though. He didn't implement the black card rule well at all. Agree though i don't think he influenced iutcome of game.

Mayo were defensively superb and i thought doherty and moran excellent too.

seafoid