Mayo

Started by ONeill, August 21, 2016, 11:50:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larryin89

I really cant get my head around this, why would any Mayo man woman or child who has an ounce of love for county team want the club games to go ahead, who give a flying fook for those opinions from outsiders.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Zulu

So the consensus form Mayo posters is club games don't go ahead 3 weeks ahead of the final thus meaning club games will be postponed at least 5 weeks?? If that's the view then I'd suggest you don't care about club football or club footballers. This is a down week with the county and with games on this weekend it will be a down week for clubs too. Then they play a game on the weekend, which they'll do two or three times between now and the final through in-house games so I don't see that as being an issue. If any player is injured they shouldn't be training or playing anyway.

Farrandeelin

Meeting tonight to decide.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Zulu on August 23, 2016, 07:01:42 PM
So the consensus form Mayo posters is club games don't go ahead 3 weeks ahead of the final thus meaning club games will be postponed at least 5 weeks?? If that's the view then I'd suggest you don't care about club football or club footballers. This is a down week with the county and with games on this weekend it will be a down week for clubs too. Then they play a game on the weekend, which they'll do two or three times between now and the final through in-house games so I don't see that as being an issue. If any player is injured they shouldn't be training or playing anyway.

I dunno. Seems daft to me. If the final was 2 weeks away I'd say fair enough definitely no club games but with 3 weeks still left even after next weekend that's more than enough time to recover and prepare. Sure someone could get injured but injuries are just as likely to happen in training. Although maybe that's just the club player in me talking.

ONeill

Quote from: thewobbler on August 22, 2016, 07:26:53 AM
Mayo can win if they play to their strengths, which would mean:

-  thanking Vaughan for his service but using him as a mascot.

- not letting Freeman anywhere near the action.

- playing Parsons and Dillon.

- forcing Dublin to go long at midfield, even if this temporarily leaves defenders one on one.

- resisting any temptation to put AOS at full-forward, unless in desperate need of a late goal.

- and thereby forcing themselves to play a running game with Andy and Cillian there to finish things off.

----

I'm assuming Philly McMahon will follow AOS round the field, which means Cooper will be marking either Andy or Cillian. Whichever Mayo man gets away from that Dublin pair will likely be the key.

No! No! No!

Mayo should abandon any designs they have on positive tactics or attacking gameplans. It hasn't worked for them in '89, '86, '97, '04, '06, '12, '13.

Pure dirt will win this. Goad players into red cards. Learn the girlfriends' mobile numbers. Tear the balls off dangerous players. We support you no matter what and there will be no criticisms afterwards.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

muppet

Quote from: ONeill on August 23, 2016, 08:25:37 PM
Pure dirt will win this. Goad players into red cards. Learn the girlfriends' mobile numbers. Tear the balls off dangerous players. We support you no matter what and there will be no criticisms afterwards.

Houl' on! Houl' on!

MWWSI 2017

macdanger2

I'd be in favour of them going ahead. Players are as likely to get injured training as they are playing.

Jinxy

Quote from: ONeill on August 23, 2016, 08:25:37 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on August 22, 2016, 07:26:53 AM
Mayo can win if they play to their strengths, which would mean:

-  thanking Vaughan for his service but using him as a mascot.

- not letting Freeman anywhere near the action.

- playing Parsons and Dillon.

- forcing Dublin to go long at midfield, even if this temporarily leaves defenders one on one.

- resisting any temptation to put AOS at full-forward, unless in desperate need of a late goal.

- and thereby forcing themselves to play a running game with Andy and Cillian there to finish things off.

----

I'm assuming Philly McMahon will follow AOS round the field, which means Cooper will be marking either Andy or Cillian. Whichever Mayo man gets away from that Dublin pair will likely be the key.

No! No! No!

Mayo should abandon any designs they have on positive tactics or attacking gameplans. It hasn't worked for them in '89, '86, '97, '04, '06, '12, '13.

If you were any use you'd be playing.

larryin89

Games off im hearing.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

clarshack

in 2003 tyrone played a round of championship the week after beating Kerry in the semis. didn't do us any harm then. i'd say a few of the mayo footballers could actually do with some extra football.

Zulu

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 23, 2016, 07:53:01 PM

I dunno. Seems daft to me. If the final was 2 weeks away I'd say fair enough definitely no club games but with 3 weeks still left even after next weekend that's more than enough time to recover and prepare. Sure someone could get injured but injuries are just as likely to happen in training. Although maybe that's just the club player in me talking.

I'm in favour of them going ahead too GBB. The point I was trying to make is that the players will be the same this week whether with club or county bar a game this weekend and that isn't a big issue since the county will have a few in-house games between now and the final anyway.

Tubberman

Confirmed senior champ and 3 inter games involving county players are postponed
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Mayo Club 51

LATEST: All Mayo senior club football c'ship games, and 3 Intermediate matches involving co players, postponed next weekend. #mayogaa

https://twitter.com/mayonewssport/status/768210277666066432

Mayo Club 51

Official Statement:

Joint statement from Mayo GAA Board & Senior Team Management
Following discussions since Mayo's victory over Tipperary in last Sunday's All-Ireland SFC semi-final, it has been decided to postpone next weekend's round of Mayo SFC games. All IFC games will go ahead as scheduled except the following which involve members of the Mayo senior panel: Bohola Moy Davitts v Swinford; Westport v Shrule/Glencorrib; and Belmullet v Burrishoole.
This has not been an easy decision for all concerned as we were faced with a Catch 22 situation. Everyone involved in Mayo GAA wishes to support the senior football team as effectively as we can in the run-up to September 18 – and, equally, everyone is fully aware of the impact a postponement at such late notice will have on club players and managements.
However, after carefully considering the various issues involved, and acknowledging that there was no simple solution, we feel that the best interests of Mayo football will be served on this occasion by postponing the above games so that the team can prepare for the All-Ireland final.
The primary reason for doing so is to allow the team the four weeks of preparation between now and the final so that they can represent all of us in optimum condition on September 18. We hope all Mayo GAA people will understand the well-founded motivation for our decision and rally around the team for the next few weeks.
It is proposed to now hold the next round of SFC games on the weekend after the All-Ireland final (Sept. 24/25th). The IFC games mentioned above will also go ahead on that weekend also.
The quarter finals in both the SFC & IFC championship will go ahead on 1/2nd October.

Owenmoresider

An absolute joke, club players being treated like shit once again.